“lovely hotel in the wrong part of town” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   120 South Los Angeles Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (Formerly Kyoto Grand Hotel and Gardens) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
All Inclusive Package
Ranked #55 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel in the wrong part of town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

i stayed in the hotel as part of an organised tours pre departure accomodation package. When i went to check in i was taken pretty much straight away and it was all over pretty quickly. the room was stunning. fantastic double bed,safe, tv, tea/coffee facilities, a fridge, all was very clean. The bed was extremely comfy i certainly didnt have any issues getting to sleep. The area the hotel was in didnt appeal to me at all. I certainly didnt feel safe, even during the day sometimes. There is a starbucks underneath the hotel which ws fantastic and also a japanese supermarket where you can get fresh fruit etc. The restaurant in the hotel was ok, i was the only person in there when i went down to eat so i had no issues about waiting to long or anything. The lady who served me was very pleasant. The hotel have a business centre where they offer free internet which was great and there is also a free shuttle service (although tipping is the payment). I made use of this service to go and see a basketball game at staples centre. Now this is where my complaint about the hotel staff comes in. The gentleman who dropped me off was lovely, gave me a card with the telephone number on it for when i wanted picked back up. So later on i called back for them to come and get me, the guy on the phone said just go back to where you were dropped off, so doing just that i went across the road only to find the road i had been dropped off was now closed to accomodate everyone coming out of the staples centre. so i went to the nearest corner to see if i could see the shuttle coming,luckily i did and he seen me also as i waved at the bus (it was a different man this time) but once i got in the bus he proceeded to give me a tirade of abuse!! saying i should have been more specific about where i wanted picked up. I was FUMING!!!
all in all it ws a pretty good hotel, but the staff leave a lot to be desired.

• Stayed October 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

everything leading up to my stay was annoying...
i emailed through the website inquiring about booking a block of rooms - no response for weeks. then, I called and inquired, had my info taken, and was told I would be contacted by the sales manager - never happened. then, I actually went IN to the hotel, waited over 30 minutes, met and toured the rooms with the sales manager, was told she'd email the rates on the rooms I was interested in - also never happened and I was never contacted. next, i booked a room online after no response for weeks from the sales manager I met with (li-ling li) and then when I called for early check-in, i was told there were 2 rooms under my name! I only booked one so where the other came from I have no idea.
in any case, the day of check-in was my wedding and while we requested early check-in, we actually didn't make it in until late, but the woman who helped us all day was amazing. I can't remember her name exactly (marisol? maribel?) but we loved her and she was very helpful and accommodating. thanks to her and the room and hotel itself, which was spacious, modern, clean, and comfy, I gave 3 stars when I would have given only 1 I was so annoyed prior to my actual stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Timmins, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

Well, to start off, I spent about 2 weeks visiting los angeles, spent alot on time in hotels and let me tell you this, I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO FRUSTRATED! I went there for a wedding so we stayed the Wednesday night to sunday. Thursday night, the "roof top garden"(which is not on the roof PS) was reserved so we couldnt go admire the view. The restaurant there was SO expensive! The bar closed down very early and the worst part of this hotel is that I had STUFF stolen from my room! I had to call security twice. They told me this woudl be taken care of and to not worry. Before I left the hotel to come back to Canada , I checked in at the front desk to see what progress had been made. She advised me that they will contact me ASAP with some news. I was so disapointed because I had put all my souvenirs in one bag so that i new where it was at all times, and that is the bag that was stolen from my room, thats how i knew right away it was missing! SO i travelled back, didnt hear anything for the first little while. Finaly we got in contact, Took more info, by the end of the conversation my claim had got DENIED becuase they chose to believe the lies of a staff member other then customer! The lies she said did not even make sense. The worst part is that she said she saw the bag and didnt touch it... THE BAG WAS ON MY BED and THE BED SHEETS HAD ALL BEEN CHANGED so how does this make sense? Ruined my Trip. Had no souvenirs for my family or friends. I am not satisfied what so ever. I believe something else could have been done. I will Get my story around to everyone that is thinking of staying here because WATCH OUT they are THEIVES!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
ragsinc, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this review, December 3, 2010
As this is the first I am hearing of the incident let me say that I am very sorry the souvenirs were lost. The investigation we conducting shows that indeed the bag was in your room, the housekeeper remembers it on the bed, which is why she did not make that particular bed and left the bag untouched. This Housekeeper has been with us for over twenty years and has never had an issue with a theft complaint. We also checked the history of the lock (interrogation) and no other keys were used to enter the room.
Our experience and history show that in 99% of the cases where something was lost from a room it turns up or was left elsewhere. This is why our insurance denied the claim. However if you could provide us a list of what was missing I would be happy to re purchase the articles and send them to you. I am sure the trip to Los Angeles provided many memories, which these souvenirs will help sustain.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

I arrived just after the check-in time, and I was told that they didn't have the room that I had reserved ready. They offered me a room with queen beds. I saw some other people, who were in the same boat but had no time to wait, take that deal, but that's not what I wanted, nor was it what I reserved. Instead, I waited while they sent someone upstairs to check the room to see if it was ready, and he reported that it was. Of course, when I went up there, I discovered that it was not ready yet. The housekeeper hadn't even begun cleaning it, and she was mortified to have me there already. Fortunately, I had plans to go meet a friend elsewhere, so I tipped the housekeeper and left my things there while she cleaned, but it gave a very negative impression of the hotel. The rooms are nice enough, although a little rough around the edges in the bathrooms. The bed was very comfortable. The location is very handy to public transportation.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
São Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

The hotel is well located in downtown, near many subway and rail stations, several malls and Walt Disney Concert Hall. Neighborhood looks safe during the day, but a little bit empty at night. Desk front is very kind and helpful. Japanese garden in the restaurant floor is really amazing, relaxing and a good place to hang out or just take a coffee/tea. The room has a good size, but is not to much illuminated. There are only some desk lamps and a roof lamp near closet. Sheet is clean and bed is comfortable, cozy and large. Room amenities include a minibar (but without any provision, just some free coffee), iron and electronic safe. Room service was fare not extraordinary,but generally good. Powerful water jet and easy hot/cold water control in shower which however is protect only by a cheap plastic drape. Parking, breakfast and wifi internet are charged apart (could really increase the daily bill). Don’t know about band speed since I actually didn’t use it. An old tube TV has few channels. Place was quite and guests were mostly asian polite people. Not a fancy place, but general hotel atmosphere is really good, with japanese theme furniture in the room and in the lobby, some gift stores and a tour desk in the small business center (where there is free internet and a printer that I actually didn’t use). Starbucks is just by the corner.
PROS: really comfortable bed, great location in downtown, amazing and relaxing garden in rooftop
CONS: no free wifi, breakfast not included, weak room illumination, old tube TV (limited channel options)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the accomodations at the Kyoto Grand. Typically when a website shows gorgeous pictures of the accomodations, I tend to be disappointed when I arrive,.. Not so with the Kyoto Grand... the pictures didnt do the hotel justice. The hotel is really a beatiful place, the accomondations are lush and I could I will definitely return to this hotel again.
Although I think some of the fixtures (leaky facet) in the bathrooms may need to be updated and or work on, that was really the only thing that I found in need of repair. It was clean, the staff was very friendly and I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Easthampton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

The hotel lobby is grand but it ends there. The room is average with poor amenities- no make-up mirror in the cramped bathroom, no cozy chair for relaxing. Internet is extra. The dining staff in the restaurant are slow, disinterested and the food is sub par. Not an above average experience. Concierge was not helpful.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown? Share your experiences!