“Great rooms- poor service” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #19 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great rooms- poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2005

All rooms are suites and well decorated, but the staff is not service-oriented. On my third stay there, they gave me a room next to the gym despite the fact that I am a gold member. I had to pull tooth and nail to have my room changed- the guy had lied about the hotel being full. After I requested valet service to bring out my car, the guy downstairs insisted that he calls the front desk, obviously thinking that I was stealing the car (despite the fact that I had already supplied my room and valet ticket numbers).

When I complained to a manager, he was at least courteous and admitted that he could not offer a good explanation. He remedied the situation by giving me courtesy points. Obviously, I am deeply disappointed but I will give the hotel another try on my next business trip in LA...

They need to shape up and the staff needs to drop their poor attitude.

849 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
dayton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2005

My wife and I had a reservation for 7/31-8/2/2005 on a first leg of 10-day vacation of LA-Vegas-Bay area swing, but checked out early 8/1 morning, headed to Anaheim. $279/nite may not buy much in the area, but doesn't seem justified.
The room was a plain, amall suite, shabby but O.K. The bathroom is big and seems to be the suite's only best feature. The rest is below average both in shape and deco. The lobby is dark and the hallway has this colorful art deco that looks shabby and old. I recon that some folks may like them, but I imagine not many. Room's view was a back of hotel's another wing in about 15 feet away. Spa construction was going on as a concrete breaker making piercing noise from 7 am'ish Sat., albeit a note of appology on it slipped through the door in the morning. ("I told you officially and now you should bear with it" ??). Broadband internet access never worked, with hotel's remote tech support person finally acknowledging that it's out of mission hotel-wide, due to be fixed on Monday. An wasted.

Staff: front desk/valet parking are courteous, lone conciergie was unapproachable and busy yakking.

Location:was great but I doubt I would come back to this hotel.

I complained to the hotel and at the W site. The response have been always courteous and cookie-cut apologetic, but I didn't get impression from them trying to improve.

• Stayed July 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2005

I am surprised by all the negative reviews about the W. I stayed there from Wednesday through Friday during a job interview and it was amazing.

First, I called the day before to let them know that I would arriving around 1pm, and that I wanted my room to be ready, even though that was before check-in. The receptionist was very polite and when I arrived the next day, my room was ready just as promised.

My room was on the fifth floor, the farthest possible from the elevator, with a beautiful view of the pool. It was quiet and larger than many apartments I've lived in! The bliss spa products were great, and the room was clean and well-appointed.

One evening, I called for a wake-up call at 5 am. When I awoke before 5 the next morning, I called to cancel it. The operator immediately asked if I'd like breakfast brought up to my room. When I ordered, I asked for it to be delivered at 5:45, and it was right on time!

The staff was friendly and pleasant, and the breakfasts were delicious. I think the things that really made the stay a perfect one were:
1) call ahead if you're arriving early so your room will be ready on time
2) ask for a quiet room away from the elevators
3) be prepared to soak in the "cool vibe" of this hotel-- it's over the top, but totally entertaining!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2005

Stayed at this wonderful hotel last week for 4 days. The pool was glamorous, the rooms the biggest out of any hotel I have stayed at in LA...and trust me, I have stayed at many incl. boring ones like Regent Beverly Wilshire, Park Hyatt, etc. The service was very friendly and sincere. The staff was so accommodating when I found out I was stuck one more day in LA due to bad weather. They even gave me a nice upgrade when I came back from the airport at the SAME rate because they were almost sold out but knew my dilemma. VERY nice and above the call of duty. The food was great. I felt like I was on a mini vacation rather than a biz trip. Everyone here who wrote a bad review should realize that YES, this is not a hotel like Ritz Carlton, and it is not trying to be as they are stuffy and boring, but NO, I never felt any attitude or sense of carelessness from anyone at this stylish hotel.

Raleigh,NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2005

I enjoyed my stay at the W hotel in the Westwood area of Los Angeles. I got to the hotel at 12:30pm a few hours before normal check in so the room they had for me was not ready. They asked if I minded being put in a handicap accessible room. I did not mind at all.

The room was spacious and very nice. I did not have a robe and had to ask twice at the front desk for one.

The restaurant in the hotel, Nine Thirty, had amazing food with reasonable prices.

I enjoyed my stay.

New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2005

I've been staying here at least five times a year for the last four or so years and I'm finally giving up on the W. They are clearly spending too much time booking video launch parties with D list nobodies to cater to their returning guests. The bar/grill by the pool is beautiful but the service is consistently terrible regardless of occupancy. Last time I was there valet parking lost the keys to my car requiring me to take a taxi. The front desk is staffed by very attractive people who must be doing well with the acting gigs because they certainly aren't focused on their day jobs. As for room service, the last time I ordered my celery was stale and when I called to mention this they apologized but made zero offer to correct. It's too bad because I love the location -- Tengu, down the street, has great sushi!

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2005

A bit overboard on the LA style thing for my taste. Rooms are a good size and well furnished but the dark halls and staff dressed in balck with ear pieces are a bit much for me. Nice pool and health club and interesting breakfast but at 50 plus years of age I feel at least 25 years to old for this hotel.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to W Los Angeles - Westwood? Share your experiences!