“Great, Good and some OK” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #23 of 323 hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Great, Good and some OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just spent 5 nights with colleagues at the W Westwood.... food, pool, service and the valet parking guys were all great, the rooms, not so good.. this looks like an old hotel and the rooms are dark, dull and far too brown. If you like genuinely good service, great staff and trusted food then it's great.. want some luxury in your room, then move along..

I will try a bit harder the next time I book a Hotel in / around LA.. ignore the room and it's a 4.5... but the room, as they'd say in LA, sucked!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
James G, General Manager at W Los Angeles - Westwood, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the suite’s décor. We are often complimented on the size and great décor the suites have. I will pass along your compliments on the outstanding service you received from the talent. NineThirty and The Backyard both offer great food curated by Chef Dakota Weiss. I highly recommend trying her new summer menu. It is fantastic.

Best wishes,

878 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Beverly Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stumbled across this gem in the middle of LA and felt like we were really in LA. We overheard movie & music producers talking about upcoming deals, working hard to pull off a huge project and even some name-dropping of stars' names. The position was great with good restaurants of all price levels and cuisines within walking distance which we found really handy. The pool was great (although smaller than it looks in the pics) and the penthouse rooms were a perfect size for the four of us.
The thing that let the property down was that they seemed understaffed in both restaurants. At breakfast there were only two servers most days and they struggled to keep up with the full house. I can't imagine this was good for them as workers and not for us as guests.
Overall a good stay and a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Got the Penthouse suite with two bedrooms (1x king-size bed & 1x queen-size bed) and it was perf...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hi,

Thank you for the great feedback. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the atmosphere and amenities of the hotel. We are in a great location for exploring everything Los Angeles has to offer and are within walking distance to a lot of great restaurants. Our suites are so spacious, especially with a great living space and large bathrooms.

I appreciate your feedback in regards to the restaurant staffing and assure you this has been addressed and fixed. Thank you and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

All the best,
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I've been to the LA area several times over the past few years, but this was my first at the W - Westwood. I was impressed from the facility from the moment I set foot on the property. Arriving at night, the front entrance and staircase are lit up nicely. I also enjoyed the Blink cam set up in the elevator, as it made from some fun pictures on the ride. For anyone staying, especially if it's your first time to Los Angeles, I strongly recommend reaching out to the W Insider, Melissa Chinchilla!! I was not familiar with the Westwood area, and upon arriving to my Spectacular Suite, I was greeted with a map and list of suggested restaurants in the area, as well as some champagne and chocolate covered strawberries! Melissa was easily accessible via phone and e-mail throughout my stay, offering tips on places to go, as well as help gauge travel time for this native Midwesterner not accustomed to the LA traffic. For those staying during a weekend, I highly recommend being at the hotel Friday for their happy hour from 5-7pm, which features a rotating alcoholic beverage and live music. During the summer months, the Pool Party on Sunday from 12-6 is the place to be! There's a lot of activity around the pool with a DJ playing live music. Also, if you're looking to meet celebrities, the hotel hosts movie premiere events (I left LA the day before the "This Is the End" premiere). Over the course of my stay I met several other members of the W staff, all of whom were very welcoming and helpful. I definitely will be back again on future trips to Los Angeles!

Room Tip: If you're looking for space, this is the place to be as most of the rooms are suites!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
James G, General Manager at W Los Angeles - Westwood, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. The staircase does create quite the sense of arrival and the camera in the elevator make for a fun ride up to your suite. I am glad to hear that Melissa could help you explore Westwood. She knows the perfect places to go shopping, out to eat and for a night out.

I am glad to hear that you could experience the pool party during your stay. There are always great DJ’s and drinks with the perfect combination of hotel guests and locals. Our movie premiere events are also a great event we put on during the summer months as well as other great summer events. Every Saturday morning we feature a fitness class in The Backyard as well.

I am happy to hear the Talent was so helpful and made your stay memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Los Angeles.

Best wishes,
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My sister and I each were treated to an overnight stay with a Spa Package at this W from our children for Mother's Day, and it was a huge treat! The staff were wonderful and really rolled out the red carpet treatment. I highly recommend the Spa! My sister got a facial with mani-pedi, and I a massage and foot wrap. It was simply great! We were so relaxed, we ate then in our room; not only was the food really delicious and quite reasonable, but the service was wonderful. That night we had drinks lounging around poolside, and it was beautiful. When it got chilly, they turned on one of their heaters and we hung out longer! Beings Mother Day, it was a bit crowded pool side the next day, but everyone was really nice and so friendly, service poolside was good...so we didn't mind! It's in a beautiful area of LA and I'd definitely stay again!

Room Tip: We had a suite with a living room type area... was roomy, classy and just great.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Paradise Valley, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Just spent the night at this very cool and trendy hotel. Came in to Los Angeles to take my 17 year daughter on a tour of UCLA. The hotel is very close and within walking distance. The Lobby was outstandingly decorated and greeted you with the WOW Factor! It especially looked incredible at night which is when my 17 year old daughter and I arrived. The employees were extremely friendly and it was obvious that exceptional customer service was their goal. This goes for the valet personnel as well. DJ had a great personality and stood out as a man I would remember if I shall ever return. Now let's get to the room. We booked a suite over the internet. It was $329/night. It said it was a "Spectacular Suite". Well.....not so much. The small narrow living room area was nicely decorated with modern furniture and accessories. The bedroom, however was the issue to me. It was extremely narrow and not comfortable. The closets were miniscule and their was nowhere to put your suitcases except on top of a ledge that was located across on of the beds closest to the bathroom. I saw no drawers of any kind. I am the type to put things away even if it was only for an overnight. The Bathroom was small. It was o.k. except for the shower that had a cheap white shower curtain. Ugggh! Really? I know this might be a "boutique" hotel but this was not a hostel in France. I guess I am just not a "boutique" hotel kinda girl. For $325 per night I was expecting a little more. I wanted this trip to be exceptional for my daughter. She was fine with all of it. She LOVED the living area. It was decorated very trendy and certainly catches the eye of a teenage girl. If my braniac child goes to UCLA, I might want to check out other hotels in the area. Not that this was dirty, unfriendly or had poor customer service. It did not! This is certainly the strength of the hotel. It is also GORGEOUS!I just think I like a more luxurious hotel with more comfortable accommodations. (:

Room Tip: Be very specific about what you expect. I guess boutique hotels usually have great restaurants and b...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
James G, General Manager at W Los Angeles - Westwood, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. The Talent here strives to provide excellent customer service for each guest. We want to ensure you have everything you need for comfortable stay. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the décor of the Spectacular Suite. Each of our rooms are suites and offer quite a bit more space than many of the hotels in the area. We are often praised for how spacious and well-appointed they are. However, the atmosphere of this hotel is a more laid back and valued as a hidden gem in Westwood. I hope that we see you again soon.

All the best,
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Spent the holiday weekend in a suite here at the W - Westwood. The hotel is located in a more residential area a few blocks from Wiltshire. That plus the fact that we were on a high floor made for a quiet stay. The room was spacious and well appointed. The staff was friendly and the complimentary bottled water at the valet a nice touch.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Nice property. Typical W hotel except the service is poor. Had to ask for the sofa bed to be made up twice and still did not occur. Asked to speak to manager and was told that I would get a call, but even that did not occur!!!

Although hotel service was poor, the pool service excellent!

Hopefully this will improve prior to my next trip to LA.

• Stayed May 2013
James G, General Manager at W Los Angeles - Westwood, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Hi Marc,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. I apologize that the sofa was not made up and you didn’t receive a call from a manager. I assure you this is not typical of our hotel as we are often commended for our excellent customer service. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed The Backyard and WET during your stay and they provided great service. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay. Please email me at wlosangelesfan@whotels.com and let me know if there is anything I can do prior to your arrival.

James G.

Been to W Los Angeles - Westwood? Share your experiences!