“Hmmm...” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Berkeley, California
“Hmmm...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I see the other 5-dot reviews and I can't disagree. Service was tight. Suite was spacious and clean. Location was perfect for what we needed. So why my hesitation? Perhaps it's my age. I'm just not into gimmicks. When I can't figure out how to open a window (double hung because of the noise on Hilegard) or press Housekeeping (known as Whatever/Whenever) on the phone, I get a little frustrated. And when I freeze all night long because the temperature control in the room was too bizarre to figure out, well, that leaves me not rested and a tad cranky. I'm also not into constant pounding noise. Breakfast in the lobby restaurant with pulsing music drowning out my thoughts? Not my thing. Blaring music in the lobby, pool side restaurant, elevators...stop already! (speaking of which: breakfast was very expensive and unremarkable - dinner beside the pool was actually very good!) Everyone is professional yes, and polite, yes. And I've stayed in their other properties. W is a brand after a certain clientele. And it's not me. Perhaps it's time for me to move on to quieter grounds with a little less edginess.

Room Tip: Use your AAA card and get a fairly decent price on the room. Beware that parking is only valet and i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
James G, General Manager at W Los Angeles - Westwood, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am glad to see that our service and property was perfect your needs.
W Hotels is a very unique brand, and we do our best to let our guests know that they will be staying at a high energy, adult, environment. Music is one of the cornerstones of the property, from live shows to our custom mixes played throughout the public spaces.

I am glad to see you enjoyed dinner at The Backyard, our poolside restaurant is an amazing venue, and the great weather makes it even more enjoyable. I do invite you back next time you are looking a W experience in Los Angeles. I also recommend the smothered breakfast wrap for your next early morning meal, it is fantastic!

Thanks,
James

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

In keeping with the W theme my only response to this hotel is WOW! This is an amazing hotel. It has the feel that everyone looks for when they come to California with the exceptional service the W brand is known for. Architecture, finish and details are great. Staff are execptional and the pool area is amazing! The workout facility is a little week but not bad which is the only possible improvement this property could make. If your looking for a hotel in the LA area this has got the be the place.

Room Tip: The 17 stack is awesome and nice and quite!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
James G, General Manager at W Los Angeles - Westwood, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thanks for the review! It is always to hear the W loyalists love our Los Angeles property. We offer a great mix of the classic W vibe paired with an amazing urban retreat right in the heart of Los Angeles.

Our SWEAT fitness center also has our free weights right outside, a feature that is unique to our property so I hope you had the chance to check them out.

I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Los Angeles.

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is my go to hotel when I don't have to stay downtown. They always go out of their way to provide great service and a nice room. It's a great location in a quiet spot in Westwood. Business or pleasure, it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the kind review! It is always a pleasure to have you in Westwood. I love our central location, it is pretty convenient access to everywhere in Los Angeles.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Could not have asked for better. We had a great room (very clean and nicely appointed). The staff was extremely atentive anticipating our every need. We spent the day by the pool (Wet) just having lunch and chill-in. We will definitely will be back

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello there, thank you so much for staying with us here in Westwood. It is always great to read that our Talent made the difference.

I am glad you enjoyed your time at WET, our restaurant, The Backyard, is one of the best lunch spots in Los Angeles.

I hope to welcome you back again soon,

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

As always, I was bowled over by the quality of service and amenities at this W. Besides the typically beautiful design, the quirky, cool touches and the exceptional services that are the hallmark of the W brand, what I loved most about it was the location. Having only stayed in Santa Monica, West Hollywood and Beverly Hills before, I was so pleasantly surprised by Westwood, and the fact that the hotel was in a quiet, mostly residential neighborhood.

Of course the staff was the quality I've come to expect from the brand, the food was excellent, the ambiance cozy and chic and the rooms well-appointed and extremely comfortable.

I've been a Starwood fan for years, and will continue to recommend the W to friends, family and colleagues alike. Well done!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much! It is always great to read that we not only met our guest’s expectations, but exceeded them!

Our central location is the perfect place to explore Los Angeles from, it is just down the street from Sunset, near Santa Monica, and you can take our complimentary Acura service in to Beverly Hills!

Thank you for your Starwood loyalty, and I know we all can’t wait to welcome you back again soon.

Brad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

What a way to start our honeymoon. Flying from New Zealand to Mexico meant we needed to stopover in LA. But this stop was far from an inconvenience. It truly was an amazing start to our honeymoon. We've stayed at many Ws and Westwood lives up to the reputation. An amazing lobby welcomes you. The service is always attentive but unobtrusive.
As the first night of our honeymoon the team at The W went out of their way. Not only were we upgraded but we were overwhelmed by a bottle of bubbles and some chocolate dipped strawberries waiting for us in our room courtesy of James, the GM. We also had a card from Karron, who had earlier patiently recommended a restaurant for dinner that night. Since we were in town only for the night we wanted the right place for dinner, and Karron went through many recommendations before we settled on Ink. It was a fantastic choice and Karron not only got us in last minute but her prompting that it was our honeymoon meant we were attentively looked after there.
All in all a great first night and we'll definitely be back in the future.

• Stayed April 2013
First, congratulations on getting married! I also just recently had my wedding, and the honeymoon was an amazing experience. I am so glad that we were able to help start yours off right!

It is always a pleasure to provide amenities, and I am glad to see you received yours! Karron is great, and she always makes such positive impressions.

I am so glad to hear you will return, maybe for your one year anniversary?

Looking forward to it,
D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Have stayed at the W LA/Westwood several times. I have also stayed at the W's in Seattle, NYC, DC, Miami -- and LA and Miami are the best! Westwood is quiet near the university but close to all the attractions. The service is awesome. And the bar scene on Fridays and Satursday is a must see. The pool and poolside is fantastic too. Make your booking now!

Room Tip: Splurge for a suite!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to write a review of W Los Angeles. It is always great to hear about our guests continued W experiences. W South Beach is amazing, and I am glad to see you loved Westwood as well!

Whiskey Blue is a great spot to grab a drink, both for locals and hotel guests. I personally thank you for the recommendation, and hope to see you back again soon.

James

Been to W Los Angeles - Westwood? Share your experiences!