“Decent accomodations at a hiked up price” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #18 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
New York City, New York
“Decent accomodations at a hiked up price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have stayed at very nice hotels and paid less. That said, I am from New York City so I am aware of the cost of location, location, location. This was a good hotel with well appointed rooms but the rooms needed to be updated. At the time we visited the pool was closed as it was being prepared for winter season and installation of an ice rink (really? --wouldnt a heated pool in an atrium type environment be a better touch?) The staff was accomodating and breakfast was good. We parked about .5 miles away from the hotel as parking was overpriced and you could easily find parking on the street for free or little charge. There are a few small but nice restaurants around the corner within walking distance. It was a nice enough hotel but could have used some updates.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
James G, General Manager at W Los Angeles - Westwood, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. CHILL was a fixture at our hotel for the past few years, and usually a guest favorite to see an ice rink in the middle of Los Angeles. It is a shame you did not get to see it. Your idea of an atrium is an intriguing one, and I will take it back to the team.

I am happy to see you enjoyed our Talent while you were here, and that you had a chance to eat breakfast at NineThirty. The Backyard, our poolside restaurant, is open for lunch, and now that we are in Spring I invite you back to experience it.

850 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Great Falls, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed here for UCLA conference. Great location. Hotel looks great from outside, but rooms, while nicely appointed, are in poor physical shape. The biggest problem is that I can hear the guy in the next room talking on the phone. Expect this for a dorm, but not a mid to high end hotel. Also toilet ran and room (supposed to be non smoking) smelled like smoke. Off to the drugstore to buy earplugs.

• Stayed March 2013
Hello, and thank you for staying with us during your UCLA conference. We usually hear great feedback on the size and style of our all-suite hotel, and I will be sure to take your feedback to the team. We are a non-smoking property, and we do have policies in place to enforce those guidelines. We would have loved the chance to change your room to ensure a great experience.

I do hope we can welcome you back again on your next visit.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I went to The W Westwood for M Dot Design Studio's launch event last Saturday which was featured in the event newsletters they sent out. It's the first time I actually attended one of their featured events, and I must say that I am glad I took on such an experience with The W. The event consisted of a pop up shop featuring M Dot's custom handmade clothing which many women as well as MEN were picking up mesmerized by the fact that all pieces were indeed hand made and looked amazing in quality.

I also could not help but notice how perfect the hotel was for events such as these or just simply a good time. The ambiance is not only warm but as others have described on here, the atmosphere is also very "hip" and modern. Service is professional and on top of it. The bar and food at Whiskey Blue are absolutely phenomenal-- the potato balls and the sliders are absolute must-haves. The location is also perfect as it is right across from UCLA, and it is nice for the students to have convenient access to great foods and extraordinary events. Overall, being into event planning, The W in Westwood is definitely a venue that I was consider in a snap! Other than that, I am glad I have a hotel and good restaurant and bar to recommend my friends the next time anyone will be in town.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
James G, General Manager at W Los Angeles - Westwood, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Hello, and thank you for attending our M. Dot Design Studio’s Spring Launch Party! Hosting these events is a cornerstone of the W Brand, and we love hearing that our guests enjoyed it.

I appreciate the recommendation, it really means a lot, and I hope to welcome you back again for the next one!

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The W is such a chill escape from absolutely everything. The staff is anticipatory, but in a very unobtrusive way. They don't come off as overly involved , which i find obtrusive. Its as if they're all psychic and know just how you feel and just how much space to give you. The bed is always so plush, that after a long flight from the east coast, I fall face down and can't bring myself to get back up for dinner. But if you do manage to get back up, Nine Thirty is the probably the best restaurant in Westwood. So, you've got the best hotel and the best restaurant under one roof. This is what makes the W a must if youre in LA. I always have the option of staying with friends, all of whom I love dearly, but I insist on staying at the W only for the experience. And my friends don't blame me one bit since they all seem to camp out in my hotel room every night.

- Arik Katzenberg

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Arik,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, and for staying with us in Westwood. I am so glad you had a chance to eat at NineThirty, our Executive Chef Dakota Weiss (from TopChef) has one of the best menus in town. We recently just released our new spring menu, and there are some great new eats, like the Octopus Ceviche!

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Ridgefield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I must say, no one does a more active, happening lobby than The W Hotel. Attractive doormen, attractive valet parkers, attractive front desk staff, and an all around attractive main floor. Plenty of areas to sit, a huge bar, and a lovely dining space (I must admit, we only had breakfast there). Upon arriving (my husband first), we were upgraded to a suite, which is a nice touch for someone about to run in a marathon.

My first impressions of the room were that it was a typical W room. Eclectic decor, modern touches and a fully stocked bar area. the suite consisted of a living area with a desk and bar area, one bedroom with a king bed, and one bathroom. It was spacious, however, considering it was a suite, I would have to say it was a bit on the small side. The pluses: nice decor, great bed and pillows, nice Bliss products and two large televisions. On the minus side: Low ceilings, small bathroom with only one sink, no bathtub, horrible water pressure, and the room was somewhat dark, however, very quiet.

As for location, it is very central (well for me). As a former westsider (Santa Monica and Brentwood), Westwood village is accessible to both those areas, as well as Beverly Hills, West Hollywood or other eastside locations. It was also nice to have a Pete's Coffee (my favorite), a whole foods and several other amenities.

Since it was foggy (marine layer), we did not get much use of the pool. It was small, but well appointed with cabanas and a nice, large bar area.

A few downsides to the hotel. No free Wi-Fi in the rooms, just in the common areas and very expensive valet parking. While this is not a downside at all, I must reveal that coming home in the evening was like coming into a nightclub. I thought I was hip, but maybe just getting old. I felt like I was in an Abercrombie store. I must say, it was good people watching, but I would prefer the calmness of a Four Seasons. All in all, the W Hotel group does a good job at what they do. You get to hang out with beautiful people with hip music and hip decor.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello there, thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your stay at W Los Angeles – Westwood. Having a happening Living Room (lobby in W lingo) is one of the greatest features of any W property!

I am glad you were able to have breakfast in NineThirty, and next time you will need to have lunch out at The Backyard, our poolside restaurant.

I hope you had a great time running in the marathon, and we all look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Ridgefield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Nice hotel with very inviting lobby, bar and restaurant. Always seemed to be rocking at night when we went in or out. Was upgraded to very nice corner suite; extremely comfortable bed. The pool was nice (weather was cool and mostly cloudy, but can't blame the W for that!) Would have been nice if they had a hot tub by the pool. Loved the pool bar and needed those heat lamps!

They are very green, and will ask you to forego towel service, or even maid service altogether in return for points. The only negative was the shower water pressure - no doubt due to their "green" efforts.

Had breakfast in the restaurant and it was good, though hotel pricey. Not unexpected.

Would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello! Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay with us in Los Angeles. We love being able to upgrade our guests, and I am glad you enjoyed your corner suite.

Sorry to see the weather was less than sunny, although atypical for Los Angeles, it can happen. That means you will just have to return sometime this summer to experience WET!

We recently just replaced all of our shower heads in rooms to a greener option; however, all you have to do is twist the head to go back to full water pressure!

I do hope to see you again soon, have a great day!

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel was great! We visited for a wedding and it was a great home base for the out of town guests.

First thing to note was this was refreshingly bright compared to the other Ws I've stayed in in other cities. Check in was amazingly efficient for a Friday night and the check in agent was just incredible. Very kind and welcoming to us and our kids.
We stayed Ina. fabulous suite and it was awesome for a family of 4. I got pull out couch duty with one kid while my wife had the main bedroom with the other one. Their bed was really comfy. Our Pull out wasn't very comfy but no worse than a typical pull out. The room was quite spacious and great to spread out in. The only two downsides was the lack of a tub in our suite (our young kids don't like the showers much) and wifi is about $15/day.
We had a mix up on our bill after leaving with incorrect minibar charges. A quick email and all was rectified within a few hours to my complete satisfaction.
Overall I'd definitely stay here again when in the LA area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hello, and thank you for staying with us during the wedding! It is always a pleasure knowing our Talent made the difference, and our Welcome team is top notch.

I am glad to see the Fabulous Suite worked out for your family, and for next time we also have two bedroom Mega Suites available!

We do our best to ensure that any charges are correct, and I am glad to see that it was handled efficiently and to your satisfaction. I know we are all looking forward to having you return.

James

Been to W Los Angeles - Westwood? Share your experiences!