“Worth every penny” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Worth every penny”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My daughter and I stayed for 2 nights this past summer as a "splurge" at the end of a 8 day trip that began in the Grand Canyon, moved on to Sedona, followed by Disney, then here at the W.

We have stayed at other W properties on other trips (Washington DC, Scottsdale, etc.) but we knew we were in for a treat when we pulled up to the valet. A very warm greeting, followed "not too pushy" offer to take our bags while we checked in. The front desk staff were all very busy, but when we walked up, someone from the back came aroung to help us. We recieved a quick check-in, a card for 20% at any of the establishments on the property, and a room upgrade! The bellman then took us to a high floor room, that was much larger than expected, all to the delight of my daughter.

After a quick un-pack, we made our way to the outside restaurant for a bite, and were pleasantly surprised that it was "happy hour" with 1/2 priced food and drink. Not just bar nibbles, but very tasty creations from the chef. A very good meal.

All in all, we loved our stay, and have already planned our return.

Room Tip: Get a high floor as the pool and restaurant can get quite loud and busy late at night.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
James G, General Manager at W Los Angeles - Westwood, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Hello! Sounds like you had quite a fantastic trip with your daughter! We love being part of special moments, and it is really great to see you are already planning a return visit.

Thank you for the kind words about our Talent, we always strive to provide amazing service. I hope you enjoyed your time at The Backyard, and the happy hour out there is phenomenal! We currently have CHILL open, our 1,600 square foot hybrid ice rink, that is hit with adults and family travelers alike. I hope you had a chance to take spin.

We are looking forward to your return visit already.

856 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I had a personal visit scheduled at the W the week of Thanksgiving and my short stay was extremely comfortable. Meredith at the front desk was accommodating and friendly. She happily accommodated all my special requests in a professional manner. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling for business or pleasure.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hello, and happy holidays! I wish you could have stayed longer, but a short visit can be just as great sometimes. Our executive chef Dakota Weiss puts out an amazing menu for the holidays, so I hope you had the chance to eat at either of our restaurants, NineThirty or The Backyard.

I will be sure to let Meredith know she is making an impact on our guests. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know, and for your recommendation.

I do look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit, whether it is business or leisure.
Have a great day, and enjoy the holiday season.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was not sure about the location when I booked this hotel. The Fabulous Suite looked amazing & spacious & it was. After chatting with concierge I discovered Ucla was 2mins walk away, their was a Ralph market about 5min away & a village of shops including AT&T, Victorias Secret & some good places to eat. Tanino was a great Italian find - an adult restaurant but relaxed enough to bring the kids.

Room Tip: Fabulous suite great for families as you can put the kids in the 'office' room. Staff happy...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I am glad to see you enjoyed your time in Westwood! It is sometimes challenging to find a walking neighborhood in Los Angeles, but Westwood is certainly one of them. Tanino’s is a great find, and just one of favorite local dining spots.

I hope you had a chance to eat at The Backyard while you were here, our executive chef Dakota Weiss puts together a great seasonal menu.

We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in the Los Angeles area.

Happy Holidays,
Rochester Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I love this hotel and the W hotels in general!... This hotel is located near UCLA on an adjacent street called Hilgard Avenue.
The rooms are typical W chic trendy and hip with usual W amenities

The staff are attentive and friendly and as SPG member they treat you like royalty.
The pool was closed but they had a Chill event where you can ice skate with "snow " every hour. We hung out at the Backyard Pool Bar for great happy hour drinks and wonderful service.

There is an indoor bar that had a large hip party when my wife and I came back from dinner and we had a couple of great well mixed drinks. overall no complaints!

Room Tip: Request higher floor and corner room if possible

Room Tip: High Floor and become SPG member for extra little perks
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Charleston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed in the large corner suite with our 3 kids and had a blast. The 2 older ones slept on a pull out in the office room and little one with us in king room. The bliss bath products , bathrobes, cool shower , living room and coffee free at bar. We soldo got free parking and drinks. They turned pool into ice rink on roof and it was tough but fun at night. The area is ucla and its students. Young vibe and away from tacky Hollywood. Easy drive to Santa Monica pier and bike paths and great valet parking. The staff were friendly and relaxed. Very w in decor and feel. But surprisingly doable with kids!

• Stayed November 2012
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Los Angeles - Westwood, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hello and thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us! I am so glad W Los Angeles – Westwood worked out for your family, and that you had the chance to experience CHILL, our hybrid ice skating rink.

Our Westwood location does offer a great vibe, and we view ourselves as an escape from the traditional Los Angeles experience.

I hope to welcome you back again soon!

Brad W
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I have been coming back to this property for many years for the simple reason: Outstanding Hotel! The property is located near the Westwood Village area and UCLA Campus and has a wonderful quiet comfortable feel to it. The outdoor pool area is a urban oasis The rooms /suites are appointed perfectly and feature the usual W appointments you would expect: flat screen tvs. dvd players, cd/radio player system, pillow top bed, etc. As a lifetime Platinum member with SPG i am always welcomed back and receive suite upgrades almost every time I have stayed here. The Staff are well trained and always go out of their way to provide outstanding service time after time. The Westwood Village area offers may different places to walk too and enjoy. Great food, take in a movie at the historic Fox theater etc. I also must compliment the Backyard Pool Bar for great drinks, food and service. A wonderful property for anyone looking to travel to LA and it is close to WEHO, Beverly Hills, etc. I can 't say enough good things about the this W and will be back again soon !

Room Tip: Request higher floor and corner room /suite in the back .
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello, and thank you for your continued loyalty! We love having guests return to visit us, it is the best compliment we can receive.

We often refer to our WET area as an oasis, so I am glad to see we are doing it right. We love having SPG guests stay with us, and I am happy to see we are able to consistently provide you with upgrades.

Thank you so much for the great review, we do appreciate it. I know the whole team is looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Brad W
La Quinta, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Had a weekend getaway at the W in Westwoo. What a great place and the service was awesome. I stayed in corner suite and had a great view of the pool, which was converted into an ice skating rink for the winter. So much fun. Easy access to all of the great sites in LA. I found a new favorite place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to W Los Angeles - Westwood? Share your experiences!