“Modern eclectic fun vibe of a hotel- totally LA” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #23 of 323 hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Charleston
“Modern eclectic fun vibe of a hotel- totally LA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed in the large corner suite with our 3 kids and had a blast. The 2 older ones slept on a pull out in the office room and little one with us in king room. The bliss bath products , bathrobes, cool shower , living room and coffee free at bar. We soldo got free parking and drinks. They turned pool into ice rink on roof and it was tough but fun at night. The area is ucla and its students. Young vibe and away from tacky Hollywood. Easy drive to Santa Monica pier and bike paths and great valet parking. The staff were friendly and relaxed. Very w in decor and feel. But surprisingly doable with kids!

• Stayed November 2012
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Los Angeles - Westwood, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hello and thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us! I am so glad W Los Angeles – Westwood worked out for your family, and that you had the chance to experience CHILL, our hybrid ice skating rink.

Our Westwood location does offer a great vibe, and we view ourselves as an escape from the traditional Los Angeles experience.

I hope to welcome you back again soon!

879 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I have been coming back to this property for many years for the simple reason: Outstanding Hotel! The property is located near the Westwood Village area and UCLA Campus and has a wonderful quiet comfortable feel to it. The outdoor pool area is a urban oasis The rooms /suites are appointed perfectly and feature the usual W appointments you would expect: flat screen tvs. dvd players, cd/radio player system, pillow top bed, etc. As a lifetime Platinum member with SPG i am always welcomed back and receive suite upgrades almost every time I have stayed here. The Staff are well trained and always go out of their way to provide outstanding service time after time. The Westwood Village area offers may different places to walk too and enjoy. Great food, take in a movie at the historic Fox theater etc. I also must compliment the Backyard Pool Bar for great drinks, food and service. A wonderful property for anyone looking to travel to LA and it is close to WEHO, Beverly Hills, etc. I can 't say enough good things about the this W and will be back again soon !

Room Tip: Request higher floor and corner room /suite in the back .
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello, and thank you for your continued loyalty! We love having guests return to visit us, it is the best compliment we can receive.

We often refer to our WET area as an oasis, so I am glad to see we are doing it right. We love having SPG guests stay with us, and I am happy to see we are able to consistently provide you with upgrades.

Thank you so much for the great review, we do appreciate it. I know the whole team is looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

La Quinta, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Had a weekend getaway at the W in Westwoo. What a great place and the service was awesome. I stayed in corner suite and had a great view of the pool, which was converted into an ice skating rink for the winter. So much fun. Easy access to all of the great sites in LA. I found a new favorite place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We spent Saturday night in the W Westwood. It was our first time to Los Angelos and we were welcomed by Vince who was very friendly. He even upgraded us to the Penthouse Suite. The hotel had a really cool vibe. We enjoyed the suite and the hotel bar.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. I am so happy your first LA experience was with us in Westwood!

I will be sure to pass the compliments along to Vince, and I hope you enjoyed your upgrade. We look forward to seeing you on your second visit to Los Angeles.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I recently did a four night stay at the W Westwood (Los Angeles) hotel. While this is my first review of the place, this was actually my second stay at the hotel over the past 3 years or so.

For my first stay a couple years ago, I ended up getting a really nice upgrade to (what I think was) a "Fabulous Suite"on the top floor thanks to my SPG Gold Membership.

This time around, I didn't have a Gold card so we were given exactly the rooms that we had reserved. We had two separate reservations and two different rooms for our stay as the first part was a corporate reservation (working in the area) and the second part was to explore around Los Angeles over the weekend.

You may read in some places that this is an "all suite" hotel, which isn't exactly true. The smallest rooms are named "Wonderful Studios", but they absolutely aren't suites and instead end up being actually quite dinky and cramped. We did this kind of room for the first part of our stay. This room had a sliding glass door between the room and the bathroom area, and no ventilation fan within the bathroom, so any noise or action happening in the bathroom will be amplified out to the main room (in other words, if there are two people in these rooms, you'd better be really comfortable with the one you're traveling with).

For the second part of our stay, I had reserved a "Spectacular Suite". Unlike the Fabulous Suite on the top floor, this one had a closeable door between the sleeping area and the living room area.

The rooms I stayed in had room safes, closets that nicely lit up when their sliding doors were opened, robes, an extra blanket & pillow, an iron and a board.

While the room windows are somewhat smaller, I did very much appreciate they weren't locked and instead could be opened to let in lots of fresh air. If you do this, be a considerate guest and turn off the A/C unit. Speaking of the A/C unit, I'm one of those guests who likes to have some ventilation and air circulating while I sleep, but in these rooms I wasn't able to get the fan speed above "barely audible". In other words, the in-room A/C & heater units aren't super powerful.

To be honest, I'm pretty certain that no two rooms in this building are exactly alike, even if there are multiple rooms of the same room type. The reason for this is because this building was originally built not as hotel, but as a UCLA dorm. It's then gone through a few extensive renovations. After a dorm, this was a convalescent home, then an independent hotel (the Marquis), and finally the very first W hotel run by Starwood. Many of the standard room features you'll see in W's around the world started here (e.g. the recessed and brightness-adjustable florescent lights in the wall). Speaking of renovations, the building is due to get another set of extensive renovations -- especially in the lobby area -- relatively soon as the building has been purchased by new owners. The hotel will continue to remain flagged as a W for the foreseeable future.

The one and only free thing you can do on the computers in the lobby is print out boarding passes for your flights. Anything else you want to do on those computers will cost. If you have your own laptop and don't have SPG Platinum (i.e. super frequent guest) membership, WiFi access runs $15 for 1 day, $28 for 2 days, $39 for 3 days, $48 for 4 days or $55 for 5 days. One nicer gesture here is that you can get an hour of WiFi time for free and I believe you can repeatedly renew that when the hour expires.

I tried out the gym downstairs, which had a nice collection of free weights and benches, a Nautilus machine, four treadmills, two elliptical machines and one bike to work with. The "Wet" pool behind the hotel is actually pretty small, but when the weather is nice, it's packed with people. Some months out of the year they'll convert the pool into a skating rink called "Chill". The neighborhood that this W is found in is really pretty, with lots of leafy trees all around.

Another nice current promotion is for all current SPG members (regardless of elite tier): show your SPG card in the restaurants for lunch or dinner and the restaurant manager will adjust your check down by 15%.

A couple "F.Y.I." things here:

1) There's construction happening on the 405 and consequently, traffic on the freeway, the on & off ramps and even the surface streets around the area is even more wretched than usual. Budget plenty of extra time in any of the driving you plan to do.

2) Breakfast vouchers are handled in an incredibly clunky, almost customer-hostile way. While I paid a bit more for a "breakfast included" rate, it turned out the breakfast that's included is a "continental breakfast" (check the fine print on your reservation details) which ends up being worth only $12.50 per person. In the restaurant, cooked-to-order items on the menu start at $13… and average around $18. If one does end up using the $12.50 per person credit, the server may unilaterally slap the guest with an unexpected and not pre-disclosed mandatory 18% gratuity fee, too (I'm not sure how that happened, we didn't have any bad interaction with this server or perhaps he was having a bad day or simply misunderstood the voucher rules). And while the restaurant confiscates the breakfast vouchers, the bills they handed me had the full price with nothing adjusted off of it. They instruct the voucher-using guests to go to the front desk to get the bill adjusted. Huh? Then what was the point of the vouchers?

3) Valet parking continues to be a steep $38 per night, including taxes. At least there's in & out privileges with that. There's a (non-W-affiliated) self parking deck about one block away (the corner of Hilgard & Weyburn), but I'm not certain if the deck allows overnight stays for your car.

4) Pay close attention to your bill at the end. While my first bill had taxes that were well itemized, my second bill lumped all the taxes & fees into a single line item confusingly named "room revenue". And the taxes & fees billed were twice as much as the 17% taxes the original reservation had estimated. A call to the front desk from the airport got the bill corrected, but I'm guessing plenty of guests (especially ones on expense accounts) overlook stuff like this.

Would I stay here again? Not certain. For the most part, the staff here is nicer and less snooty than at the other upscale W's I've stayed at over the years, but I didn't necessarily feel like I got a decent value for the $350 (including taxes) per weekend night I was paying. Hopefully you can find a deal or package where you're paying less than what I was.

Hopefully this information helps you out. And if you did find useful information in my review, please let me know by clicking the "Helpful" link down below. Have a great stay!

Room Tip: flashing your SPG card (especially Gold or Platinum) absolutely helps you out
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review of your recent stay with us.
I did want to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with our breakfast voucher program, as well as in any errors during your billing. It is always important that we get those items correct, and provide transparency.

I am glad to see you enjoyed our location in Westwood, as well as our SWEAT fitness area. In addition to offering the complimentary one hour of high speed internet, we do offer complimentary high speed wireless in our Living Room for all of our guests.
Our Wheels Valet offers a safe and convenient parking option, and is very competitive in Los Angeles. Although there is parking in Westwood, with the University, sights, and neighborhood it can be challenging to find an open spot.

Although you mentioned you are uncertain if you would return, I know that we would love to have you back. W Los Angeles – Westwood offers an amazing urban escape from Los Angeles, and I know our experience is unique and second to none in the area.

I know we all look forward to seeing you again soon,

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Spent 3 nights at the W LA and it was comfortable. Not their usual swanky hotel that you would expect but our spectacular suite was a good size and very clean.

Highlight of our trip was the customer service. I have NEVER experienced such PERFECT, professional, and friendly service (with a smile)..AND THAT WAS EVERY DAY WITH EVERY STAFF MEMBER WE ENCOUNTERED!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. We love reading about our service, our Talent takes it very seriously. I am glad to see we hit the mark! We feel that our Whatever/Whenever level of service separates us from everyone else, and that is what keeps guests returning to us time and time again.

I will be sure to share your kind words, and I know we are all waiting to welcome you back again soon!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We spent 6 nights at the W Westwood, cashing in a boatload of starwood points. The positives: they upgraded us to a suite, so we had plenty of room, and the hotel is in a good location, letting us get downtown and out to surrounding areas like Pasadena and The Valley pretty easily. The negatives: it was cool at night Thanksgiving week, and the heat didn't work very well; this was mostly remedied our second day when we were provided a space heater.

We had a couple meals at the hotel, the first room service dinner was simple but good. Our second meal, at the outdoor area near the pool, seemed fine, but my wife got serious food poisoning, and ended up in bed for two days, and the only thing she ate that day that I didn't share was a soup with shrimp she had at the W restaurant.

Room Tip: Valet parking at the hotel is $38/day; there's a public parking lot about a block away where you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to W Los Angeles - Westwood? Share your experiences!