“comfortable W, but what a difference in room types & sizes” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 328 Hotels in Los Angeles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“comfortable W, but what a difference in room types & sizes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I recently did a four night stay at the W Westwood (Los Angeles) hotel. While this is my first review of the place, this was actually my second stay at the hotel over the past 3 years or so.

For my first stay a couple years ago, I ended up getting a really nice upgrade to (what I think was) a "Fabulous Suite"on the top floor thanks to my SPG Gold Membership.

This time around, I didn't have a Gold card so we were given exactly the rooms that we had reserved. We had two separate reservations and two different rooms for our stay as the first part was a corporate reservation (working in the area) and the second part was to explore around Los Angeles over the weekend.

You may read in some places that this is an "all suite" hotel, which isn't exactly true. The smallest rooms are named "Wonderful Studios", but they absolutely aren't suites and instead end up being actually quite dinky and cramped. We did this kind of room for the first part of our stay. This room had a sliding glass door between the room and the bathroom area, and no ventilation fan within the bathroom, so any noise or action happening in the bathroom will be amplified out to the main room (in other words, if there are two people in these rooms, you'd better be really comfortable with the one you're traveling with).

For the second part of our stay, I had reserved a "Spectacular Suite". Unlike the Fabulous Suite on the top floor, this one had a closeable door between the sleeping area and the living room area.

The rooms I stayed in had room safes, closets that nicely lit up when their sliding doors were opened, robes, an extra blanket & pillow, an iron and a board.

While the room windows are somewhat smaller, I did very much appreciate they weren't locked and instead could be opened to let in lots of fresh air. If you do this, be a considerate guest and turn off the A/C unit. Speaking of the A/C unit, I'm one of those guests who likes to have some ventilation and air circulating while I sleep, but in these rooms I wasn't able to get the fan speed above "barely audible". In other words, the in-room A/C & heater units aren't super powerful.

To be honest, I'm pretty certain that no two rooms in this building are exactly alike, even if there are multiple rooms of the same room type. The reason for this is because this building was originally built not as hotel, but as a UCLA dorm. It's then gone through a few extensive renovations. After a dorm, this was a convalescent home, then an independent hotel (the Marquis), and finally the very first W hotel run by Starwood. Many of the standard room features you'll see in W's around the world started here (e.g. the recessed and brightness-adjustable florescent lights in the wall). Speaking of renovations, the building is due to get another set of extensive renovations -- especially in the lobby area -- relatively soon as the building has been purchased by new owners. The hotel will continue to remain flagged as a W for the foreseeable future.

The one and only free thing you can do on the computers in the lobby is print out boarding passes for your flights. Anything else you want to do on those computers will cost. If you have your own laptop and don't have SPG Platinum (i.e. super frequent guest) membership, WiFi access runs $15 for 1 day, $28 for 2 days, $39 for 3 days, $48 for 4 days or $55 for 5 days. One nicer gesture here is that you can get an hour of WiFi time for free and I believe you can repeatedly renew that when the hour expires.

I tried out the gym downstairs, which had a nice collection of free weights and benches, a Nautilus machine, four treadmills, two elliptical machines and one bike to work with. The "Wet" pool behind the hotel is actually pretty small, but when the weather is nice, it's packed with people. Some months out of the year they'll convert the pool into a skating rink called "Chill". The neighborhood that this W is found in is really pretty, with lots of leafy trees all around.

Another nice current promotion is for all current SPG members (regardless of elite tier): show your SPG card in the restaurants for lunch or dinner and the restaurant manager will adjust your check down by 15%.

A couple "F.Y.I." things here:

1) There's construction happening on the 405 and consequently, traffic on the freeway, the on & off ramps and even the surface streets around the area is even more wretched than usual. Budget plenty of extra time in any of the driving you plan to do.

2) Breakfast vouchers are handled in an incredibly clunky, almost customer-hostile way. While I paid a bit more for a "breakfast included" rate, it turned out the breakfast that's included is a "continental breakfast" (check the fine print on your reservation details) which ends up being worth only $12.50 per person. In the restaurant, cooked-to-order items on the menu start at $13… and average around $18. If one does end up using the $12.50 per person credit, the server may unilaterally slap the guest with an unexpected and not pre-disclosed mandatory 18% gratuity fee, too (I'm not sure how that happened, we didn't have any bad interaction with this server or perhaps he was having a bad day or simply misunderstood the voucher rules). And while the restaurant confiscates the breakfast vouchers, the bills they handed me had the full price with nothing adjusted off of it. They instruct the voucher-using guests to go to the front desk to get the bill adjusted. Huh? Then what was the point of the vouchers?

3) Valet parking continues to be a steep $38 per night, including taxes. At least there's in & out privileges with that. There's a (non-W-affiliated) self parking deck about one block away (the corner of Hilgard & Weyburn), but I'm not certain if the deck allows overnight stays for your car.

4) Pay close attention to your bill at the end. While my first bill had taxes that were well itemized, my second bill lumped all the taxes & fees into a single line item confusingly named "room revenue". And the taxes & fees billed were twice as much as the 17% taxes the original reservation had estimated. A call to the front desk from the airport got the bill corrected, but I'm guessing plenty of guests (especially ones on expense accounts) overlook stuff like this.

Would I stay here again? Not certain. For the most part, the staff here is nicer and less snooty than at the other upscale W's I've stayed at over the years, but I didn't necessarily feel like I got a decent value for the $350 (including taxes) per weekend night I was paying. Hopefully you can find a deal or package where you're paying less than what I was.

Hopefully this information helps you out. And if you did find useful information in my review, please let me know by clicking the "Helpful" link down below. Have a great stay!

Room Tip: flashing your SPG card (especially Gold or Platinum) absolutely helps you out
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Los Angeles - Westwood, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review of your recent stay with us.
I did want to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with our breakfast voucher program, as well as in any errors during your billing. It is always important that we get those items correct, and provide transparency.

I am glad to see you enjoyed our location in Westwood, as well as our SWEAT fitness area. In addition to offering the complimentary one hour of high speed internet, we do offer complimentary high speed wireless in our Living Room for all of our guests.
Our Wheels Valet offers a safe and convenient parking option, and is very competitive in Los Angeles. Although there is parking in Westwood, with the University, sights, and neighborhood it can be challenging to find an open spot.

Although you mentioned you are uncertain if you would return, I know that we would love to have you back. W Los Angeles – Westwood offers an amazing urban escape from Los Angeles, and I know our experience is unique and second to none in the area.

I know we all look forward to seeing you again soon,

Brad W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Spent 3 nights at the W LA and it was comfortable. Not their usual swanky hotel that you would expect but our spectacular suite was a good size and very clean.

Highlight of our trip was the customer service. I have NEVER experienced such PERFECT, professional, and friendly service (with a smile)..AND THAT WAS EVERY DAY WITH EVERY STAFF MEMBER WE ENCOUNTERED!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. We love reading about our service, our Talent takes it very seriously. I am glad to see we hit the mark! We feel that our Whatever/Whenever level of service separates us from everyone else, and that is what keeps guests returning to us time and time again.

I will be sure to share your kind words, and I know we are all waiting to welcome you back again soon!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We spent 6 nights at the W Westwood, cashing in a boatload of starwood points. The positives: they upgraded us to a suite, so we had plenty of room, and the hotel is in a good location, letting us get downtown and out to surrounding areas like Pasadena and The Valley pretty easily. The negatives: it was cool at night Thanksgiving week, and the heat didn't work very well; this was mostly remedied our second day when we were provided a space heater.

We had a couple meals at the hotel, the first room service dinner was simple but good. Our second meal, at the outdoor area near the pool, seemed fine, but my wife got serious food poisoning, and ended up in bed for two days, and the only thing she ate that day that I didn't share was a soup with shrimp she had at the W restaurant.

Room Tip: Valet parking at the hotel is $38/day; there's a public parking lot about a block away where you...
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Nice hotel, staff is pleasant. Location is great, especially for someone who likes to walk around, the area not too far away is called the village, which has plenty of coffee shops, restaurants, etc. Also not far from UCLA, so a young and alive area. I enjoyed the stay, only thing is the rooms are a bit dated. Aside from that would stay here again. Did not order any food, so am not sure how room service is. Parking is very expensive, you can park near by for far less.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Los Angeles - Westwood, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Hello, and thank you for sharing your review of W Los Angeles – Westwood. I am so glad you enjoyed our location, Westwood Village is a great local feature that many of our guests take advantage of, as well as the UCLA campus.

I am happy to see you would return, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This hotel was wonderful. There is a very pleasant smell of soap when you enter the lobby. A nice, clean scent.

I booked the least expensive room and it was still spacious and luxurious. There are Bliss products in the bathroom, a cotton waffle robe, and bowl style sink. Water pressure is very good.

The room service was excellent. I had both dinner and breakfast in my room and they were both delicious. The vanilla gelato that accompanied the molten chocolate cake was divine.

The staff is extremely nice and professional from the front desk to the concierge to the people who deliver room service. Truly outstanding staff.

My only complaint is that I had a room across from the elevators so there was some noise, not too terrible. But ask to be away from the elevators.

This was an excellent value, would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello, and thank you for the kind review! I am so glad you found our hotel to be wonderful, we truly appreciate it.

We do receive great feedback on the size and design of our suites, and I am glad you enjoyed it. I love having the Bliss Spa products in room! Thank you so much for the compliment on our Talent, service based feedback is always so appreciated.

We look forward to having you back again soon!

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Had a wonderful time here, conveniently close to everything. And walking distance. Had lunch and dinner in the restaurant and everything was wonderful. The front desk staff was most accommodating. Amber in the bar was so guest oriented. Yayyy, will return to this hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor, and had a one bdrm suite. There were three of us girls and we each had a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I took my wife to the W Hotel - Westwood for our anniversary. I was running late as usual and sent the hotel an email last minute and asked if they had any anniversary specials. I didn't hear anything back but to our surprise they came the first night with a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries.

The staff was very friendly, the room was great, and the service was great!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thank you for celebrating your anniversary with us! We love special occasions, and I am glad we were able to surprise you and your wife with a gift.

I invite you back for your next anniversary, and hopefully sooner! Have a great day, and I hope your celebration was amazing.

Brad W

Been to W Los Angeles - Westwood? Share your experiences!