“Rooms need sound insulation!!” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #35 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Rooms need sound insulation!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

First impressions - really nice room(s) - general rule seems to be you get a living room and a bedroom. First room offered had a bizarre power problem - no lights work - but room very quickly swapped with no hassle.

The problem with this hotel is in the soundproofing - or what felt like lack of any. In early evening I could hear one neighbours every move and their TV (loud enough that I thought mine had turned itself on) - and yet to be fair, I doubt they were being very loud ...when I went out for the evening the corridor was silent, so hardly a wild party going on.

Then my other neighbour put their television on in the early hours if the morning - again it was like someone had turned the TV in my bedroom on!! I did knock on the wall and realised at that point how thin the wall was!!! I ended up sleeping on my couch to get some peace.

What can I say - the bar is good, nice breakfast, room service good - but if you can't sleep it's all a bit pointless.

To be fair I'm sure I could have asked to change rooms (to a 3rd room), but as I was only staying 2 nights, had already unpacked, and had a tight schedule, it was simpler to use some earplugs I bought on the second night.

Staff helpful, hotel clean, decent wifi - just let down by soundproofing. Maybe I was just unlucky, and if I had been staying longer I'm sure a room switch could have been possible.

My only other complaint is that they added minibar snacks I hadn't had to my folio after I had checked out and paid - a quick email resolved this and they refunded - but it leaves a bad taste, especially when a platinum customer has declared what they have used from the minibar when checking out!!

I can't fault the service in the hotel - and the public areas (bar, restaurant, pool area) are all fabulous!

• Stayed October 2012
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Los Angeles - West Beverly Hills, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your recent stay with us. We appreciate any chance we have to receive feedback from our guests.

I am sorry to see about the issues you had with your room. I completely agree that providing a quiet and comfortable room should be a default consideration, and I apologize that this was not the case. Rest assured, your feedback has already been reviewed by our team, and your experience was the exception, not the rule. We usually receive positive feedback on the rooms, and rarely receive noise complaints from our guests. We are always happy to provide a room change, but I understand your reluctance to move given your situation.

We love having SPG members in house, and truly appreciate the continued loyalty that our guests show towards our brands. I am sorry that there was a billing mistake, but I am glad we were able to resolve it quickly. We do take any mistaken charges very seriously.

On a happy note, I am so glad you found our Talent to be fabulous, we love it when we receive service based compliments!

I hope you consider us next time you are in Los Angeles. Please feel free to reach out directly to me at brad.wulff@whotels.com prior to your next arrival and we will ensure a fantastic stay!

Brad W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I'm a big fan of the W but given the other reviews on Tripadvisor, I was prepared for a "less than W" experience. Even then, I was still disappointed.

Pros: Great location and very friendly staff.

Cons: The hotel room was old and very dusty. The bathroom was not well ventilated.

Be careful of breakfast and parking fees. We received 14USD breakfast coupons but a coffee alone was already 5USD. We were told that parking was 35 USD per day with in and out rights. What they failed to tell us was that every time we left, we had to sign-out. So we ended up with a 100+USD parking bill.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us in Los Angeles. I am sorry to see that you were disappointed in your stay. It is always our goal to provide an amazing W experience.

I am glad you found our Talent and location to your liking, but I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with our Wheels parking. This was definitely a mistake, and we would love to remedy the issue. Please contact me directly at brad.wulff@whotels.com at your convenience to get it resolved.

I hope you think of us next time you are in Los Angeles, and I am looking forward to speaking
you soon!

Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

You don't need me to tell you that W does an amazing job. Beautiful rooms, expert helpful staff. This hotel is also in one of my favorite areas of LA, Westwood. It's a walking neighborhood with some fairly good restaurants and near to many great sights.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Los Angeles - West Beverly Hills, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Hello, and thank you for the kind review! We really appreciate knowing we provided you with an amazing experience.

Westwood is a great neighborhood, and we love the fact that there is so much to do within walking distance. It is one of the reasons we consider ourselves an escape from the usual Los Angeles experience.

I hope you have a great day, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed only one night but fell in love with this this hotel. The lemon sage soap is awesome! The service was great from the front desk to the bellman to the valet. The room is cool and modern. I had a Heineken and watched X Men while lounging on the couch. There is a Ralph's just down the street to buy more beer to replace the expensive ones I drank from the fridge in my room. I would stay at the W again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Stay at the W!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I booked a really good deal for a suite for the weekend for a business event. The room was nice. It was big. However the service was horrible. From the moment I arrived and the valet would not allow me to unload my luggage. I ordered coffee in the morning. It never came. I called them and they had sent it to the wrong room. I was not please with this W at all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to read about your experience with our Talent. We usually receive great feedback on our Talent, and I am sorry to see that we missed the mark. I will be sure to provide feedback to the team.

I hope next time you visit Los Angeles, you consider staying with us again, I know we can really impress you.

Thanks,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I still cannot get over the amazing customer service I received at the W Westwood during this past stay. I had to make an important trip from NY to LA - it was the first time leaving our neighborhood post-Hurricane Sandy where we had been out of power for over a week. Needless to say I was pretty exhausted. When I checked in, the staff welcomed me at check in and asked if our power was back on and our newborn baby was ok. How about that!!? Then, I was away from the hotel when I received an email that my flight the following day was cancelled as were all flights that day and the following. Luckily within a few minutes, my amazing ProTravel travel agent Masha got me the last seat on a red eye going out in just a couple of hours. I called the hotel to let them know about my predicament and asked if they would be willing to pack my bag for me so I could pick it up on the way to the airport. Once they got approval to do so (assume from myself and the GM) they did so and seriously saved the DAY. I also went out on a limb and asked if they'd put it in a taxi so I could have it delivered to my location. Cut to 30 minutes later, my bag was there delivered by a hotel employee, I jumped in a car and made my flight, and home to my sick baby two days earlier than if I had missed that flight. I understand the W hotels are each owned individually - but Starwood must have some seriously amazing training programs because each W's customer service is always just wonderful (especially Boston and Vieques.) Kudos and thank you amazing staff of the W Westwood. I'll never forget that!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are huge- I think it used to be an old apartment building so you really get a lot o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post this review! I am so glad our Talent was able to impress you. We really take service seriously, and glad that we could be of help to you during this hard time.

It is so important to be able to be with your family, and I promise it was our pleasure to be able to assist you in getting home. I hope that everything is going well for you and your family at home.
We look forward to seeing you again,

Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I keep going back to the W Los Angeles because of the attentive staff. The service is top-shelf, they're really doing their best to give the guest a great stay. I wish more hotels were like this one.

I stayed during a windy weekend and had trouble getting online, but Lori (at the Executive office) made sure I was able to stay connected.

The location is ideal for getting just about anywhere in Los Angeles.

And the poolside restaurant is a great spot.

Room Tip: The corner suites don't get the best wi-fi, so you might need an ethernet cable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hello, and thank you for continued loyalty. We love having return guests, and knowing that is because of our Talent team makes it even better.

Lori is an amazing asset, and we are really lucky to have her! She consistently impresses guests with her attention to service.

I am glad to see you enjoyed dining at The Backyard, it is a great al fresco experience.
I hope to continue welcoming you back.

Brad W

Been to W Los Angeles - West Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!