“Good location, average hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel

You added Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel to your Saves list
Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7000 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA 90028 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Save 15% Off
Ranked #90 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Good location, average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

The Roosevelt is conveniently located on Hollywood Blvd, near a lot of the clubs and restaurants that West Hollywood has to offer. The hotel itself is not very special, the rooms are clean and look alright but are way too small considering the amount of money that you pay for them. I also thought the staff wasn't particularly friendly. If you're looking for a hip hotel in Hollywood that caters to the same crowd I would go with the W instead.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Kevin B, General Manager at Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Dear Daan V,

I apologize if you felt the Roosevelt was not the best selection for you. Some of our rooms in the historic tower are still true to their 1920s blue print, but we are in the midst of a renovation which will aid in the expansion of these room types. Thank you for your visit.

Kevin Barnes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Bellefontaine, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

This hotel was right within walking distance of most places I needed to go to. The back parking area and waiting area made it very comfortable and accessible if I needed to get a ride elsewhere. The service was incredible from every staff member I spoke too. Always smiling and helpful. Their team definitely goes above and beyond. I loved the atmosphere of the hotel! There were a couple parties going on while I stayed which made it fun. But at the same time when I needed to study/work in my room it was not disruptive like some places you may stay at. I stayed for a week and it was a great experience. I will definitely stay at the Hollywood Roosevelt again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Devin G,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the atmosphere of the Roosevelt. Thank you for your compliments on our team. I am glad they were able to add to your overall experience at the hotel. We look forward to your return - whether to relax or to enjoy a few drinks in one of our venues!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Recently stayed at the Hollywood Roosevelt and although it is a nice hotel i wouldn't stay there again. Considering the cost of staying at the hotel i found the room to be very small and not in the greatest of shape. The cost of the parking is also sky high, $36 a day is a bit steep. Also the cost of the WIFI is a real eye opener, $121 for 3 days

The hotel does have bags of character and it has a great party vibe, but if you are after value for money i think there are a lot better options out there.

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool look great
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jase2482,

I am sorry that you felt the hotel was not the best option for you. It sounds as if you had reserved a room that has not been renovated and I apologize. As I am sure you are aware, the historic tower is in the midst of renovation and we are making great headway with our new design. Regarding Wifi, we are excited to release our new system soon. We will offer a free basic connection, as well as higher speed options. The hotel does offer valet parking, and although I do agree the rate is high, it is fairly standard for the area. Thank you for your visit.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

On July 19th, 2014, I checked into the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel on my Birthday. Some close friends of mine (A Married couple) actually checked in approximately 4 days prior as well (Per my referral). Upon my arrival, I was greeted w/ eye contact & smiles from both Front Desk Agents & was surprised to find that my room was located next door to my friends. Initially, I checked in w/ Overnight Manager: Rory Robinson. Mr. Robinson proved to be one of the more professional & hospitable managers I have ever conducted business with. He made sure that any of my friends' requests (Or mine) were handled in an adequate & timely fashion. Mr. Robinson presented a wonderful positive energy to us that was contagious.

The facility was well kept; The Housekeeping Department was swift, Security was out patrolling, & the Engineering Department handled a request from my friends regarding a remote control. A complimentary fruit plate was then sent to them from the Front Desk after the issue was resolved.

Ultimately, our experience at the Hollywood Roosevelt was memorable & I highly suggest staying here to anyone contemplating a trip to Hollywood. The legendary & historic mystique is definitely a sacred ground for Hollywood. I'm looking forward to returning very soon to stay once again. Thank you for reading this.

Room Tip: The Tower rooms are quieter if you're looking for a good night's sleep due to the pool area...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Billy M,

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed the history and theme of the Roosevelt. It is great that our team was prompt and helpful. I would love to pass along your compliments to Rory; he will be thrilled to receive this feedback. We look forward to your return.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I stayed at the Hollywood Roosevelt for work for a week; I needed to be in Hollywood, otherwise I try to avoid staying in the heart of this part of LA. The Roosevelt absolutely took me away from feeling like I was in the middle of LA's Time Sq, and I was grateful for that!

The Roosevelt has so much charm and history.. def feels haunted... but..... you kind of know that going in. There's a gothic architectural vibe working throughout the lobby and main spaces that I enjoyed; some may find it too dark, however.

My room was perfect. I never wanted to leave! I was put in a cabana room, steps from the pool. The decor, the amenities.. everything was really great. I loved the look of the pool area still appeared to be 1960's-cool-kid hangout; the pool def turns into a scene. A real LA scene. If you're not used to it... you will probably be in for a shock. It's just a big pool party with lots of drinking and skinny folks having fun (& me wondering if they work or not...)

I ordered room service to the pool for breakfast and it was delicious! Also ordered room service for dinner one night, and it was good as well. I ate in the burger bar another night.. really fantastic! I sat at the bar (was working) and was bothered by a clearly crazy person (he discussed being chased by people from a large "religious" group down the street; he asked me out on a date a few times...obviously said no; explained he saw real aliens; then his mom came in and they got into a fight and left. He was in his mid to late 30's.) ANYWAY, the bartender did make many attempts to make sure the guy left me alone...much appreciated.

Location wise, you are in the absolute heart of Hollywood. Across from the infamous Chinese Theatre... so there are always people about and things to do, see. many restaurants in the area...

Would def stay here again IF I had to stay in Hollywood. Really lovely little place in the middle of a crazy place.

Room Tip: You were able to get free wifi if you checked in on Foursquare.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear JetSet 1983,

It sounds as if you got the full Hollywood story throughout your stay with us. From pool parties to fine dining, we offer an array of fun activities for our guests. It is great you had a whole week to encounter the many aspects of the Roosevelt. I am glad you enjoyed the experience. If you do find yourself back in Hollywood, we hope to welcome you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

If you re looking for a true LA experience then stay for a weekend in a cabana at The Roosevelt. From poolside parties to Hollywood breakfasts, its a great all round experience and has a great story connected to the hotel from movie history. It was originally built for actors from New York to stay in wen they went West. The main hall is something to behold but the real secret to this place is the pool and Tropicana Bar. Oh, and don't forget a plate of sliders and sweet potato fries whilst you're there.

Room Tip: If you can and have the time, get a poolside Cabana and party!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tony R,

We are glad you enjoyed the full experience of the Roosevelt hotel. You hit it right on the dot, we are a proud part of Los Angeles history. We hope to have you back for another Hollywood getaway soon.

Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

It's been over 15 years since I stayed at the Roosevelt. There have been many changes (most for the better). They got a new elevator (replacing the original Otis from the 1920s). I believe it was Sam who checked us in and he was amazing! As were most staff we encountered. We ended up in a cabana room next to the pool. I loved the room and the balcony! One should be warned that they have pool parties (Thurs-Sun, I believe) and they seem to be pretty wild. I wouldn't book a cabana room if I wanted a quiet room. We weren't there that much so it was fine.

Yes, the hotel is much darker than it used to be and most of the wonderful Hollywood memoribilla is gone. =( The Blossom room is still beautiful and worth taking a look (first Academy Awards held here). But the Charlie Chaplin statue is gone near the front door.

I got a drink at what used to be the lobby bar and decided to explore the new areas. They've reinvented themselves as a trendy hotel catering to a younger crowd but I saw people of all ages and it's still a beautiful hotel.

The Spare Room looks like a fun place but I never got to do more than walk through. Fair warning: Don't make the mistake of walking in the wrong door or bringing in a drink from another bar in the hotel as you will be scolded!! (even though there's no signs to indicate either or I wouldn't have done it)

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would stay again if we were going to another concert at the Hollywood Bowl. It was an easy walk (little over a mile) to the Bowl and there are plenty of things to do and great people watching in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kitty917,

We are pleased to have welcomed you back to the hotel after so many years. I am glad you were able to experience our new look and that you appreciated some of our changes. Hope to see you for the next Hollywood Bowl season!

Kevin Barnes

Been to Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel? Share your experiences!