“Great location! Friendly and helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel

You added Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel to your Saves list
Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7000 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA 90028 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Save 15% Off
Ranked #90 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Sydney, Australia
“Great location! Friendly and helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Had a really enjoyable stay. Rooms were a nice size and very clean and tidy. The Tropicana pool Bar was a really fun place to have a drink during the week with a nice low key vibe and very relaxing, weekends are much more of a party scene which we also enjoyed.
Staff were very friendly and helpful but need to make a special shout out to the valet and specifically to Russell! He was the most helpful staff member who we dealt with our entire stay, gave lots of great advice and was extremely
friendly. A really fun place overall to stay with a great vibe, great location and good service.

• Stayed May 2014
Kevin B, General Manager at Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Lmd1804,

Thank you for your feedback. Glad that you had a great time in the hotel, and happy to hear that you were able to engage with Russell. We are doing a lot of work at the pool with Tropicana this year and are planning to roll out the new pool set up this weekend. We have the new cushions, umbrellas, shades, and floats following the launch of this seasons uniforms that were introduced last weekend. The staffing has been increased, and the pool parties have started again with the first swim night last Tuesday. We hope to welcome you back soon to see the changes being made.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I was really looking forward to staying at the Roosevelt because of the history connected with the hotel. When we arrived I was really impressed with the lobby area as it really was old Hollywood style. It's quite dark, but this just adds to the charm of the place. I was slightly disappointed with the decor in the room as it just seem a little run down and in need of an update. The was a charge for coffee in the room, $5 per pod and Wi Fi was $21 per day which was expensive. I discovered that if you go across the road to the Highlands shopping centre you can pick up free Wi Fi there. The location is fabulous, across the road from the Chinese Theatre, and the Hollywood Walk Of Fame right outside the door. You can also pick up tour buses here too, which we used a few times. The staff in the hotel were really helpful, one guy in particular, Shaun gave us great advice on how to get around, and arranged a driver to take us onto our next hotel in Santa Monica for a much cheaper price than a regular cab. If you want to stay in Hollywood in a hotel that has a lot of history, and in a central location, then this is a great choice. However don't expect the rooms to be glamorous, they're comfortable and clean but not special. I guess you get what you pay for and if you want a beautiful room you really do have to pay top dollar for it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Karin N,

Thank you for your review. Glad to hear that Shaun was able to assist along with the rest of the team to make your stay memorable. I agree that some of the rooms are a bit dated and this is why we are introducing our newly renovated rooms designed by Yabu Pushelberg. We also have the cabana rooms that have been designed in a much different tome to compliment the pool and play off of their location. We do have the multiple levels of wifi at the hotel, and the $21 option is the highest speed. We have recently upgraded both our coverage, and capacity through the entire hotel's wifi, and do offer the highest level of speed for those in need of some serious bandwidth.

Hope to welcome you back soon,
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I just stayed at The Roosevelt for a bachelorette party this past weekend. We were a party of 14, and knowing this, planned ahead diligently. We made reservations at the Spare Room months in advance as well as reservations at Beacher's Madhouse. Two weeks prior to our arrival, Beacher's called me to inform me that they were under construction and could not honor our reservation (not to mention they were incredibly difficult to book with in the first place). I was told they would help me find an alternative...but ultimately heard nothing from them. When I questioned the hotel, their response was 'they're a separate entity'. Helpful.

We had planned on spending the day at the pool on Saturday. Again, knowing we were a large group, we all arrived at the pool around 9 am to get chairs. About 15 minutes after we sat down, we were actually made to get up and leave chairs that they wanted to 'reserve' for guests. Mind you, we had to pregnant guests with us...were they expected to sit on the ground? It seemed as though. After a very, very, very rude interaction with the 'pool manager', which ended in tears, we all had to consolidate around 6 chairs...while the other chairs remained empty.

Not only would I NEVER return to this hotel, I actually do not plan on returning to any Thompson Hotel and will gladly share this with anyone and everyone.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Ashley M,

I am sorry to hear about the impression that the hotel has left with you and your guests. I am aware of the events mentioned, and should you wish to speak further about this I would be happy to do so. I was at the time, and am under the impression that the hotel did try to accommodate your party, and arrangements were made, however as noted we were unable to resolve this to your satisfaction. For this I apologize, and again will be happy to speak further about this.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Would love to have the coffee shop share receipe for ItalianTomato soup. A quick lunch in the dramatic historic hotel was sweet relief from the busy street. Hope to be able to stay on next trip to LA...fan from Houston

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Kevin B, General Manager at Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Sheila C,

Please find the recipe from our Executive Chef Vincent Cachot. Chef oversees all food & beverage for the hotel, however agrees that the tomato soup in 25 degrees is a great find. Thank you for your review, and enjoy,

Ingredient Unit Amount for one serving

Parmesan Cheese Oz 0.75
Olive Oil Floz 0.75
Salt and Pepper to taste Pinch 1

Process:
- Cut tomato in quarters and reserve
- Peeled and diced onions
- In a sauce pan, at medium heat, Saute onions with olive oil until light gold coloration
- Add diced tomato, garlic cloves and vegetable stock
- Bring to a boil, add basil and cover
- Simmer for 20 minutes
- During this time, cut croutons out of focaccia or baguette and broil in oven for a minute or two.
Steer every 30 seconds to avoid burn on the bread
- Reserve aside for presentation
- When the soup is ready, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, then blend slightly keeping
pieces of tomato (rustic look)
- Pour in a soup bowl, add croutons and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Add basil leaves for presentation and taste and add a small drizzle of olive oil
- Ready to serve, Bon Appetit

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stayed here one night as a transition from a stay at Six Flags to an international flight out of LAX. My execucar picked me up 40 minutes earlier than my reservation so I ended up arriving at the hotel a little after 10am. I was pleased to learn that not only was a room available, but that I had been upgraded to a Cabana room with balcony. I was warned since it was Cinco de Mayo that it may be noisy staying near the pool, but it should subside by nightfall. I didn't plan on spending any daytime in the room, so this did not bother me at all. The pool area was empty when I returned from dinner, so I never heard any outside noise.

The room itself was quite nice. It was a decent size, and there was a luggage rack in the closet which saved space. The balcony was spacious enough for two and had a very nice view of the pool. At 10am, it was very quiet and there were just a few people sunning themselves at that point. The room had clearly been renovated recently, everything was spotless and showed zero wear and tear. The bear skin rug was a little bit slippery though. The bed seemed rather low to the ground, but was very comfortable. I slept very well.

The best thing about this hotel is probably the location. I was able to walk out the door and everything I had planned to do was literally right there. I had time to watch Sally Field get her star on the Walk of Fame before joining a bus tour at the Chinese Theater. After that I took the Dolby Theater tour and even had time to pop back to the hotel to change before I had to check in for Jimmy Kimmel. After the show, I walked down the street for dinner and had time to enjoy Hollywood Blvd all lit up at night. In the morning, there were plenty of breakfast choices in the vicinity and then I spent some time exploring the hotel itself. The rooms are modern, but the public areas are very Old Hollywood.

Overall, I was very pleased with my experience at this hotel. I would not hesitate to return in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear anonymous928,

Thank you for your review, and your pictures. Feedback is a gift especially from a TA member with 92 posts. I am happy that we were able to accommodate your early arrival, and that you enjoyed the cabana room. I agree that our location is hard to beat if you are looking for a Hollywood experience. Please keep us in mind when you plan on venturing out to LA, especially during your Boston winters.

West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hip, fun hotel and pool make you feel like you are living the life of an old time movie star. Beautiful, period detail and quiet comtemporary comfort make this the perfect Hollywoood stay. The room service and pool food are great too!

Room Tip: If you want old Hollywood stay in the tower, if you want pool access ask for a pool side room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kevin B, General Manager at Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Dear Greg W,

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Feedback from a TA reviewer with 612 contributions means a lot to me, and I am happy to have it. We are constantly evolving, and are collaborating with external relationships to continue to add value to our guest experience. Our pool is transforming this week with not only programmed events, but with furniture, and amenities as well. We have had the luxury of playing off of the historically preserved spaces, and will continue to give a nod to the old Hollywood glamour that so many come to see.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Planning a trip to LA seemed a rather daunting task. Where do you stay? It is so spread out. The Roosevelt served us nicely. It is a very historic hotel, the decore dark and almost secretive but the hotel slowly revealed its grand past and unique architecture and we developed a fond attachment to it during our four nights. We especially liked the bar/diner 25 Degrees with its red leather banquettes and efficient staff. We literally fell in there many times after a busy day dealing with the zoo which can sometimes be LA. The rooms were comfortable although you had to pay for everything extra which after the generosity of the Outrigger on the Beach at Waikiki seemed a bit mean but HEY this is Hollywood What do you expect? It is well located for catching all the touristy things and the staff were efficient and helpful at all times. I doubt we could have found a better place to serve our plan which was to catch a little glimpse of LA.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Marylyn25,

How fitting to stay at the Roosevelt with the name Marylyn. We did have Ms. Monroe living with us for quite some time, and have her suite named on her behalf. Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed the historic nature that has been preserved, and the staff that make the guest experience come together. 25 degrees has been a staple of the hotel, and I feel it adds great value. Your feedback is being shared with the team.

Hotel Manager

Been to Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel? Share your experiences!