This was the last leg of our honeymoon. We drove down the coast (amazing) and had this room booked for months. Obviously after countless hours on trip advisor. We showed up around noon and asked if we could check in early... To our surprise they said yes, in fact if we wait an hour we can have a "free upgrade". Great! I hear free anything I'm sold. We had lunch al fresco at The Bridge, and by the time we finished our room was ready.
We should not have taken the "upgrade".
Originally we were booked in the tower and our upgrade was a cabana room. Aka the converted motel or whatever they did there. Fine. Decent room but NYC sized... It's certainly not a luxury hotel. Gross bathroom, $15 or something for wifi, low ikea style bed, and OMG the a/c- it is so loud and blows directly on you when it decides to turn itself on in the middle of the night. Oh. And you are privileged to hear each and every song the djs be spinning, as there is NO soundproofing. Also, we could hear our neighbors actually peeing. Not just the flush but the pee then the flush. Kinda funny actually. What's nice though, is the private balcony... And floor to ceiling smoky mirrors. Funky decor.
Also, housekeeping starts knocking on your door around 8:30-9am. Put out that do not disturb!
The pool. Where do I start with the pool? What I can say is it is a scene. Major. I used to be cool and never was as cool as they'd like you to be at this place. Which is fine. LA life bro. I enjoyed myself for two days in a row... Got there early to secure a spot. Each day ended up running at least a $2-300 tab. It's our honeymoon, who cares right? This brings us to Friday. Fml. Got down around 10:30 as I did the previous days and no beds. Well, yes there were but they were reserved. I asked the pool boys.... They are reserved for bottle service! Blow me. Seriously. I worked in nightlife for years. I get there is a pool party and they have to promote it and make money but it is not like I am drinking water all day. So we went to the beach. No big deal. We get home and the pool party is in full swing now and- to get to our *luxe cabana room* we have to go through the pool area- they didn't want to let us through. Have to check the list ma'am. (Don't ma'am me I'm 27-a hole). Back up to the room to relax and there is a note from the Gestapo telling us the guidelines for the weekend:
-NO outside booze on the premises.
-NO entry to pool on day of checkout
-ALWAYS have both your id and room key on you. (You will be stopped and asked, FYI)
Among many other just ridic things. Obviously this whole thing left a really bad taste in my mouth.
It wasn't all bad though. We were really excited to stay here... Great location. Cool history. The pool is nice and warm when you are allowed in. Just go in prepared to be treated like a second class citizen. BEWARE THE UPGRADE.
Wondering if our entire experience would've been different if we didn't stay in the Cabana room?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bringing glamour back to the Boulevard, Thompson’s Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel reincarnation resonates with the opulence of its fabled past. Located in the heart of Hollywood on the Walk of Fame across from the Grauman’s Chinese Theater, The Roosevelt houses some of the hottest drinking and eating venues on the west coast. These include the famous poolside Tropicana Bar, celebrity haunt Teddy’s nightclub, The Library bar which is acclaimed for its hand crafted cocktails, The Spare Room, a speakeasy gaming lounge featuring vintage bowling lanes and classic cocktails, and vaudeville inspired theater Beacher’s Madhouse. Public Kitchen and Bar serves eclectic American fare in a social atmosphere and award winning 24 Hour burger joint 25 Degrees offers a variety of dining options. To top it off, the hotel’s heated outdoor swimming pool provides guests the only locale in the world where they can swim in a million dollar work of art painted by acclaimed artist David Hockney. The hotel is constantly buzzing with the entertainment industry’s glitterati. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Despegar.com, HotelTravel.com, BookIt.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, EasyToBook, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hollywood Roosevelt Los Angeles
- Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel
- Roosevelt Hotel La
- Roosevelt Hotel Los Angeles
- Hotel Hollywood Roosevelt
- Roosevelt La
- Hotel Roosevelt Los Angeles
- Roosevelt Hotel California