“All my bougie friends” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel to your Saves list
Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7000 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA 90028 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #96 of 323 hotels in Los Angeles
New York, New York, United States
“All my bougie friends”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

This was the last leg of our honeymoon. We drove down the coast (amazing) and had this room booked for months. Obviously after countless hours on trip advisor. We showed up around noon and asked if we could check in early... To our surprise they said yes, in fact if we wait an hour we can have a "free upgrade". Great! I hear free anything I'm sold. We had lunch al fresco at The Bridge, and by the time we finished our room was ready.
We should not have taken the "upgrade".
Originally we were booked in the tower and our upgrade was a cabana room. Aka the converted motel or whatever they did there. Fine. Decent room but NYC sized... It's certainly not a luxury hotel. Gross bathroom, $15 or something for wifi, low ikea style bed, and OMG the a/c- it is so loud and blows directly on you when it decides to turn itself on in the middle of the night. Oh. And you are privileged to hear each and every song the djs be spinning, as there is NO soundproofing. Also, we could hear our neighbors actually peeing. Not just the flush but the pee then the flush. Kinda funny actually. What's nice though, is the private balcony... And floor to ceiling smoky mirrors. Funky decor.
Also, housekeeping starts knocking on your door around 8:30-9am. Put out that do not disturb!
The pool. Where do I start with the pool? What I can say is it is a scene. Major. I used to be cool and never was as cool as they'd like you to be at this place. Which is fine. LA life bro. I enjoyed myself for two days in a row... Got there early to secure a spot. Each day ended up running at least a $2-300 tab. It's our honeymoon, who cares right? This brings us to Friday. Fml. Got down around 10:30 as I did the previous days and no beds. Well, yes there were but they were reserved. I asked the pool boys.... They are reserved for bottle service! Blow me. Seriously. I worked in nightlife for years. I get there is a pool party and they have to promote it and make money but it is not like I am drinking water all day. So we went to the beach. No big deal. We get home and the pool party is in full swing now and- to get to our *luxe cabana room* we have to go through the pool area- they didn't want to let us through. Have to check the list ma'am. (Don't ma'am me I'm 27-a hole). Back up to the room to relax and there is a note from the Gestapo telling us the guidelines for the weekend:
-NO outside booze on the premises.
-NO guests
-NO entry to pool on day of checkout
-ALWAYS have both your id and room key on you. (You will be stopped and asked, FYI)
Among many other just ridic things. Obviously this whole thing left a really bad taste in my mouth.

It wasn't all bad though. We were really excited to stay here... Great location. Cool history. The pool is nice and warm when you are allowed in. Just go in prepared to be treated like a second class citizen. BEWARE THE UPGRADE.

Wondering if our entire experience would've been different if we didn't stay in the Cabana room?

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

1,631 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Fantastic location. Large comfortable room and bed. We had a view of the theatre right across the road. Great atmosphere in the hotel and very warm and welcoming staff. The burger restaurant on the Boulevard is one of the stars of the hotel!! Only negative was noisy a/c.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

If you dont have a LV/Channel bag on your arm & wearing designer heels dont bother staying at this hotel.(i arrive after my 14hour flight in a comfy tracksuit, not dress up) The staff are horrible and so disrespectful and rude the manager is so rude and even told me i should not stay at this hotel if i need to ask that many questions about shopping & the area.(i had not been there before)
One morning i asked front desk where the closest atm was, she told me across the road to a supermarket, which we walked and tried to find it , could not find it, came back to the front desk and, saw a atm right next to the front desk(there were people standing in-front of it before), when i asked the lady working on the desk why she told me to go across the road, i got told: to see how many dumb blonds really are. That was the last straw with us, we had never been to the area so that is why we asked for help. we left the hotel, all the staff are more concerned with there looks, doing there nails and talking to each other, then helping the customer.
The rooms .... 1star. they were disgusting! walls are paper thin. you can hear the conversation in the room next to you very clearly. bathroom (if you call it a bathroom) 1meter x 1meter concrete floor no tiles, dirty, moldy bath/shower.
The worst hotel i have every stayed in.
If you visiting the area say in west hollywood or Bevery Hills or Century City, you may pay $10 more elsewhere, but $10 is very much worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My son stayed here for New Year's Eve and highly recommended it. My son is 21, I am not - warning bells I did not hear. But I did hear the pool party on Wednesday night even though we were on the 10th floor. Pool parties are the big traction at his hotel. The pool area is tacky and the surrounds look like a motel. Most people were smoking and talking so loud to each other and on their phones so it was far from relaxing. The drinks were served in plastic cups, yuck! I paid $7 for a cup of soda water. POOL = negative.
Upon checking in we were upgraded without request. Our room, 1030, was large and comfortable. The bathroom is an awkward design but it was okay. The size and quality of the bathroom towels is very average. We could not sleep with the AC on as it was too noisy, so we ran it on very cold before switching it off to go to sleep. The bed was comfortable. ROOM = mainly positive.
The hotel staff were friendly and attentive, including the lady who was responsible for our house-keeping, she was lovely. The restaurant staff went out of their way to help us. The waitress at 25 degrees was fantastic. STAFF = positive.
Hotel! Can someone please pay the energy bill!!! It's dark and dingy. What are they trying hide? Cleanliness? Condition of the old furniture? Price on the menus which you need a flashlight to read? The corridors to the room feel like you are walking through a sleazy alley way expecting a drug dealer or pimp to jump out at you. The photographs of celebrities helps to remind you of it's history and that you probably won't be attacked whilst walking to your room. HOTEL = negative.
Be prepared to pay for everything, including valet $33/night, wi-fi, and even coffee pods.
Location is excellent if you want to stay on Hollywood Boulevard. LOCATION = positive.

Room Tip: If you don't want to be kept awake by the music blaring at pool parties ask for a room on a high...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mission Viejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel is haunted? Well, we didn't experience anything supernatural...So, this is a good or a bad thing for you -- depending on who you are.

The hotel and room were interesting and clean. The elevator was busy and slow. The hotel has a great location -- close to a Fresh N Easy and CVS and Hollywood & Highland and a 24 hour Mel's Diner if you don't want your wallet destroyed by the prices at the Roosevelt.

This being said, I knew what I signed up for...I wanted to experience it and I was glad I did.

The details:

My only really suggestion for improvement -- the price. We paid about eight hundred for 2 nights with parking and we didn't buy anything else (food, etc.) from the hotel.

The pool area was neat, seemed like something from another geography -- it transported you out of the city. The gym actually had some real weights (a few sets of dumbbells over 50 pounds -- this is rare).

Lots of wanna be Hollywood types (some legit folks as well) so that makes for good people watching. Be aware and use common sense when out and about -- there are a lot of desperate transients and "characters" looking for a buck to have photo snapped of them and their "creations". We were there when someone was murdered -- but I would not let this deter you -- it is a statistically insignificant situation. Sad that it happens, but there are millions of people from everywhere intersecting with each other -- Humanity typically prevails. Just use your head.

I really love this part of Hollywood, due to the layers, the grit, the unsavories and everything else that makes a city a city...The walk down the boulevard toward Vine feels like a big city (it is, I know, but if you spend any time in the suburbs, you appreciate this stuff more). So, the location of the Roosevelt was my favorite element.

The room was small, but nice and clean. The decor, I liked. The carpet was thick and nice. The water pressure in our shower was AWESOME. I found the bed super comfortable. The AC was great -- but when it clicked on -- IT FELT LIKE A POLTERGEIST RE-AWAKENING...(at least I think it was the AC?....)

The staff was cool -- I had some fun teasing them by always asking them, "Don't you know who I am?" (Of course they did, you know, cuz they had a copy of my driver's license, room number, and so on).

Room Tip: Check a map to see which rooms have the best view. I don't know which ones do, I just know that...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my time at the Hollywood Roosevelt. The highlight of my stay was the pool. Mr. Richard Johnson was sure that me and my guests had a pleasant experience. The service was great and the bartenders were very polite. Thank you. :-) -Eboni Brice (Baltimore, MD)

• Stayed May 2013
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hollywood Roosevelt for four nights in a 'deluxe' king fourth floor room that was decorated in the same way as the corridor leading to the room; dark, bland and minimalist but without the musty smell.

The room appeared to be in good condition, as was the bathroom - which is very small compared to other hotels I have stayed in - but had the basic requirements that you would expect.

The air conditioning was really loud and on one occasion, despite repeatedly flicking the switch to the off position it continued to rattle on, until my wife did exactly the same thing which caused it to magically stop!

We could also hear the dull thumping of the music coming from the pool area but it didn't disturb our sleep on our rather comfortable bed.

Although the mini-bar had all the drinks you would expect, including wine, no wine glasses were provided, which meant it was sipped from a tumbler instead and that's just not how you drink wine!

We had breakfast at the Tropicana and our order of two beers and two sandwiches with fries came to $60 with half of that being TAX. The food was tasty and the service was fairly prompt, which you would expect at 10am.

The service was also good at the 25 degrees retaurant which has a cool 1950's, speakeasy feel to it. After checking into our room we decided to grab a snack and an alcoholic beverage there. However, as my wife could not produce ID she was refused alcohol despite clearly being over 21 which was slightly annoying.

We also had breakfast there and received great service. Our waiter was attentive but not overbearing and he kindly didn't charge us for our orange drinks by way of apology for the delay in the arrival of our cappuccinos - even though there wasn't one.

The staff at the check-in desk were polite and helpful and arranged for our shuttle to the airport, although none of the staff in the public areas appeared to be wearing name badges so I could have been directing my questions to anybody.

The Roosevelt is perfectly located for both The Chinese and Dolby Theatres as well as the Hollywood and Highland train station to Universal Studios and the main pick-up points for the numerous guided tours, and of course the Walk of Fame.

I would stay at the Roosevelt again, mainly because of its history and great location but also because I want to encounter one of the hotel's ghosts!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel - A Thompson Hotel? Share your experiences!