“Not for the faint of heart” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn

You added Rodeway Inn to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   777 N. Vine Street, Los Angeles, CA 90038 (Formerly Econo Lodge Hollywood) (Hollywood)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #207 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Not for the faint of heart”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

The first couple hours of the stay really were pretty good. The manager was kind enough to fax a couple important documents for me without any charge which I thought was quite nice. Then my girlfriend and I settled into the room and noticed that the bottoms of our feet were both filthy dirty, and we had just taken off our socks ten minutes earlier. We cleaned ourself up and then took a wet rag and wiped across the carpet and the dirt had come from there. The entire carpet was dark colored and filthy. We asked them to provide us towels so we could at least cover the carpet which they did do but at this point, we had lost all confidence in the cleanliness of the room. I totally realize that it is an economy motel, but to have my feel get dirty by walking around in my room is pretty sad. Kind of made my skin crawl.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

The photos & few good words about this hotel made me book a room here. But believe me , it wa not even 50% of what I expected !!...The hotel ambience is very ordinary & so are the rooms. breakfast counter is in the reception & I didnt see anything there other than couple of donuts..... You better avoid this place unless your are getting it for free...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

good hotel tom live in good rooms with 900 good roooms

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

Viewed all opinions on this website and determined this hotel would be good for my husband and me. We were in Los Angeles for eight nights, five at the Econo Lodge. Our goal was to see Hollywood and experience Los Angeles. The hotel was for sleeping, showering, and resting. We arrived at 6:00p.m. and were shown our room. It was room #105, pool level, non-smoking, king size bed. After reading the reviews I examined the room carefully and found it clean and orderly. There were no ants, the carpet was clean, the sheets were fresh smelling and clean, and the bathroom appeared to have recently been remodeled. The hotel reminded me of the many road trip vacations taken during the 60s and 70s with my parents. This is a MOTEL, not a HOTEL.

What did I like about this motel? The clean room, the laundry, the general vintage appeal, and the grocery store right next door!! I walked to the grocery store every morning to get my fresh fruit and Starbucks coffee. There is also a Panda Express and a deli. Yes, there is breakfast with donuts, english muffins, coffee, tea, and a juice product (Hi-C while we were there). The donuts were not "prepackaged" items, they were purchased from the Yum Yum donut store on the corner every morning. The toaster was not broken, it worked perfectly. My husband loved the donuts, I prefer fresh fruit and yogurt. To further my list of "likes" I utilized the fridge and microwave every day. It stored soda pop, milk, fruit, yogurt, and bottles of water. The microwave worked great to heat up left over food.

What didn't I like about the hotel? Well, it was hard to find much wrong except perhaps the cobweb hanging from the ceiling in the main room area. I snatched it down with a towel - you may find cobwebs at my house too! Further, perhaps the area? I can't complain about the area as we chose to stay in Hollywood and were well aware of the "night" activity in the area. During the day the area is fine, yet at night there are numerous street people as there are in ALL areas of Los Angeles. We walked during the day and up until 1:30a.m. while we were there and never once were bothered by anyone. Be both confident and aware of your surroundings as you should be in any city. Also, it is true the walls are thin and you can hear people outside and above you, but that is a common thing with all older lodging facilities.

Now, I have to throw this into the review.....we stayed one night at the Roosevelt Hotel (big 5 star hotel which we paid $280 for one night, stayed next to the Marilyn Monroe room) and I say the Econo Lodge was far better than the Roosevelt. The hallways at the Roosevelt are dark and had an odor. Dark brown carpet, tan walls, dark brown doors, and absolutely no wall decorations at all.. The room was similar to the Econo Lodge, perhaps more plain in the color scheme. We also stayed one night at the Beverly Hills Hotel and as expected it was an EXTRAVAGANT, POSH experience which was far above the Econo Lodge, but the price was six times the Econo Lodge also!!

We will be returning to California in the next six months and plan to stay at the Econo Lodge again with our three children. The hotel suited our needs, was clean, and the staff was pleasant.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

We spent in Hollywood two nights. And it was too much. Hollywood is much below what it can be and people expect from this place. Now I am not surprised that hotel is in such condition and with such the poor service. To have the pool in the middle of the hotel is too less to be a real argument for staying there. Breakfast doesn't exist. Rooms need reconstruction and remodelling. The worst thing is the external corridor. Next time I will chose an other place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Athens & Copenhagen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

We stayed at the Econo lodge last year. Nice little lodge with pool in the middle - a bit Melrose Place alike, Room is discount and used but not in a bad way, since it's clean. Try to get a room facing the pool. Breakfast included, with nice doughnuts and some bred and cerials. Very close to Hollywood Blvd. and Kodak Theatre - which is not actually all that...

But good spot and seems fairly good and safe.

We spend a lot of time checking for a safe and good deal and this did the job !

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

This is the least expensive motel we found in LA with acceptable reviewer ratings. For two people we paid $63.74/nite ($72.66 with tax) using the Go West Rate on the ChoiceHotels website, which offers a number of name-brand properties under $100. You must give a credit card to hold the room, but can cancel for free until 4PM on the day of arrival. This is a basic motor hotel, with room doors opening into a courtyard with a pool. We walked the 1 mile north to Hollywood Blvd, and found the neighborhood ok. We did no walking at night, but there is nothing really to walk to in the area. We did not see anything particularly menacing in our nighttime drives to and from the hotel. There is a Starbucks and a 24-hour Pavilions/Von's super market next door to the south at Melrose Blvd, and a CVS a block north. We stayed here for 4 nights, and had no problems. The walls are quite thin, as you could hear coughing and conversation from the next room. Luckily our neighbors were relatively quiet. If you had loud neighbors and were a light sleeper, this could be a problem for you. Although missing the advertised clock/radio, our room did have a coffeemaker, hair dryer, and the refrigerator and microwave oven came in handy. The hotel offers both wireless Internet and a guest laundry, but we used neither to attest to their quality. There was free coffee and donuts in the lobby every morning. Note that the hotel charges your entire stay to your credit card upon your arrival, so if you are picky you may wish to inspect your room first. We had a late-night 11PM arrival, and had no problems. Our room was clean and large (some reviewers of other area hotels described those rooms as tiny), and the staff were ok. The owner even let us pick a lemon from the poolside tree. One of the best things is that the parking is free, protected inside the motel grounds, with access by automatic gate (but it opens for any car). There were always enough parking spaces, even with late night arrivals. (At one of the other ChoiceHotels, the Rodeway on Beverly Blvd, reviewers complained of not enough parking, so we chose the Econo Lodge for the ample parking, plus it was $10 cheaper). Many LA hotels charge for parking, so the free parking affectively lowers the total room rate. We would recommend this place for anyone wanting to save a buck. It ain't glamorous, but it's clean and acceptable for the few hours each day you are in your room.

• Liked — Inexpensive, free parking, free coffee & donuts, frig & microwave in room
  • Disliked — Thin walls, charged entire stay on credit card at check-in
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!