“a few issues...but hotel responded well” 3 of 5 stars

Exclusive 15% Discount!
Ranked #17 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, Australia
“a few issues...but hotel responded well”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Checked in to Sofitel L.A for 2 nights in March.
Staff at the reception was polite but not warm. Hotel design was beautiful.
The room was nice and clean but lack of character, we had a great view of the hollywood hills. Bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was delicious, however quite pricey.
Wifi stopped working after the first night, they still had not resolved it when we checked out and on the second night they did the fire alarm test which I think should be mentioned on the hotel website, when we booked the room. The electricity stopped working while we slept during the night for a couple of hours. In the morning they did the fire alarm test and the elevator stopped working, which was annoying.
When we checked out they apologised and didn't charged us for the valet parking.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SofitelLA, General Manager at Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review of Sofitel Los Angeles.
We are happy to read that you liked our hotel design and the view you had from your room on the Hollywood Hills.
I am very sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay. Our engineers were doing some tests for the AC, electricity and fire alarm.
This is something that we need to do, but we completely understand the inconvenience this can be for our guests and please accept our apologize.
I am sorry that no one informed you about this during your check-in.
I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future,
Eric Lemaire, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Taking a month vacation in california and have two weeks to go.. Currently staying there for first time, enjoyed the boutique designer feel of the hotel amd my suite has a nice view overlooking the mountain. Food is good and a nice lounge bar downstairs looks hip. As an owner of a boutique hotel myself, makes me look at details that make a difference like rhe hermes toiletries, tv in bathtub and electricity sockets laid high next to bed for ur iphone and laptop so u dont need to get out of bed at end of night to charge them. However, today my holiday got spoilt ( thats why rating went down from 5 to 3) when i forgot my prescribed sunglasses next to tv where i leave them in their box as i was leaving to an important appointment to come back and find them disappeared. The house attendant told her supervisor thst she actually saw the case as she was cleaning ( glasses were inside them ofcourse) but didnt touch them.... So i wonder what happened! Whats really upsetting anput all this not only that i lost glasses i cherish as a gift from my father and fact that u feel its an invasion of privacy but also because they are medical prescribed sunglasses as i have very bad eyesight, which means i cant simply pick up new glasses from the mall infront of the hotel and continue the vacation. I have to now walk around in sunny LA with normal glasses as my prescription needs a week to be prepared....Annoying!!!

Dear Mr Azzam,
We present you with our sincere apologies for the problems you encountered and the loss of your sunglasses. We understand your dissapointment, and please believe that this situation is unusual.
I know that our Guest Relation manager, Nina Monraz, was able to see you when you checked out, and that she will be staying in touch with you during the process with any updates.
We hope that you will let us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future and to do everything to make sure your next stay is successful,
Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Friendly, efficient staff, great location, even the I house dining was good. My only gripe was the duvet underneath the sheets to lie on, this makes the bed softer. my wife thought was great and I hated, gave me back ache.

Otherwise recommended, kids liked it. Good gym.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of Sofitel Los Angeles.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed both our location and our staff.
I am sorry that your wife was the only one to enjoy our Sofitel bed.
This is true some people doesn't like when the bed is too soft.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Los Angeles, and we will try to arrange the bed for you.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

A slick and very modern take on the beautiful French Sofitel Brand.

Check in was efficient although our room was not ready, the staff were very attentive and ensured our bags were taken care of promptly. The hotel is very modern but reflected stylish touches including chocolate macaroons at check in, coffee and iced water.

Our room was lovely with a juliet balcony which allowed fresh air, a chance to get some great sunset photos and the street sounds of Los Angeles.

Delicious bed, great room service, gorgeous bathroom complete with Lanvin products.

I expected some street noise but was surprised how good the sound proofing was.

The hotel is opposite the Beverley Centre which is great for shopping but still a good 20 mins by car to Rodeo Drive.

A special thanks to the restaurant staff who packaged up a take away breakfast for our early departure - not only delicious but perfect for a traveller!

Room Tip: For those sensitive to noise - avoid a street facing room type
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
SofitelLA, General Manager at Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful review of Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your room with the balcony, our Sofitel Mybed and the Lanvin products in the bathroom.
We are also happy that the take-away breakfast made your stay easier.
We take a lot of pleasure in making each of our guest’s visits "fantastic".
Looking forward to welcome you again soon,
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I just stayed here for 3 nights for work. For me, the location is great. It is about 4 miles to the crazy part of Hollywood Blvd. You can walk there and back and go by Melrose and other cool areas to keep you entertained as you walk. If you don't want to walk there and back I recommend you take a taxi to the Blvd and walk back. Taxis are readily available at the hotel but I'm not sure about on the Blvd. It is just a couple miles to Rodeo Drive and it is a nice walk too. Mall across the street and a huge CVS (with great alcohol and food departments to buy some snacks - the room had a corkscrew in it) plus many restaurants nearby so easy to stay there on most any budget. I got room service a couple times - always a flatbread pizza and it was great. The staff was very friendly and I think tried very hard to always acknowledge the guests. So far so good on the review but then I get to the room. It was small and I happened to get room 619. Awful location. It is sort of on a corner and I couldn't even get out of my room sometimes because the linen closet is so close that when an employee is in the closet I can't get out of the room. Employees opened the door a ton throughout the day (logically, linens and toilet paper are needed!) and you could hear it clear as a bell in the room. I won't dwell on the location of the room. Let's talk about size. Small. I was suprised how small especially since when I checked in the woman told me I had been upgraded to a king room....would hate to see the room I was upgraded from! Also, I couldn't figure out how to change the channel on the TV without going back to the channel guide - the channel up and down buttons didn't work, the up and down arrows didn't work, etc.). Annoying. The Bose system didn't work - half of the stereo sound didn't come out. The water in the shower was tricky too - either so hot you would go to the hospital burned or freezing. Hard to find a middle ground and you had to stick your arm through it to adjust it. Also, the windows don't open at all. I realize that happens sometimes but I really don't like that. So, with all the room issues, I feel I adjusted the rating appropriately. For full disclosure, I am certain the hotel would have come up to try to fix the stereo and the TV but I worked all day and it wasn't until you have a 30 minute break between meetings or got home after 9pm from work that you want to use the stereo and the tv and then I didn't have time to call and wait for someone to come up. I did mention it to the check out attendant and he apologized and took a charge off my bill which was appreciated but I would have rather had them working when I checked in to the room.

Room Tip: Don't pick a room ending in 19 (319, 419, etc.) or, I suspect ending in 17 either. Ask for a roo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
We are deeply sorry that your stay with us didn't meet your expectations, while we are happy you enjoyed our location and our staff service.
We present you with our sincere apologies for the technicals problems you encountered with the television and the Bose system.
Regarding your room, I am sorry that it wasn't what you expected. Actually, some of our rooms are corner rooms and so a bit smaller than others. Regarding the fact that you would have prefered being able to open the window, in each floor we have rooms with french doors where it is possible to do so.If you ak it at check-in we will do our best to give you a room which respect your requirements,
We will be thrilled to see you again very soon and we will do everything to make sure your next stay is successful,
Byron Bay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Some genius in house keeping decided rather than pay for mattress toppers they would use old comforters underneath the sheets. This made for one of the worst night's sleep ever. You just get too hot sandwiched between both. Then you feel like you are being tortured by a thousand little needles as the ends of the down feathers poke through the sheets and into you. I ended up in the middle of the night ripping the whole thing apart and what is left is a pretty standard mattress

If it wasn't for the terrible bedding which is intrinsic to a good nights stay, I would have said the rest of the hotel is fabulous. Internet was free, position is great, price was good, rooms are quiet, spacious and of a really good standard and clean.

If they did something about their bedding I would defnitely stay again.

It was also disappointing that staff ignored three Marijuana smokers round the pool.

Room Tip: Check the bedding!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
SofitelLA, General Manager at Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear guest,

We thank you for your feedback which is very important to us, in order to keep our hotel improving as much as possible. We are sorry that you haven't been able to rest because of the bedding.
Otherwise, we are happy to read that you enjoyed our location, your room and having a free internet service.
We present you with our sincere apologies for the problem you encountered.

Best regards,
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed here for 4 days as a group of 4 adults on our way to Vegas and then Mexico. This hotel was recommended for the location,which was quite central and easy to reach shopping and good restaurants. The room was comfortable,the food at the restaurant was good but the bar was noisy at night.

As a guest of the hotel, we were surprised one evening when we were entering the bar area, our husbands dressed in jeans,loafers and polo shirts, were told to put on a jacket and not to take them off. The feisty little door boy was on some power trip I think. Anyway, the food and drink selection were good and the jackets were left on for fear of being sent to our room for breaking the rules!

The only really disappointing thing was both couples had the full room charges, some $1600 billed to both credit cards and this was not discovered until we were in Mexico and took a few phone calls back and forwards, at our cost, to have one of the charges reversed. It was sorted in the end, but should not have occurred at all.

Would I stay here again.... Possibly not. I think for the room price there are better hotels in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
SofitelLA, General Manager at Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Guest,
We thank you for your feedback which is very important to us, in order to keep our hotel improving as much as possible. We are happy to read that you enjoyed our location and your room.
Otherwise, we present you with our sincere apologies for the problems you encountered with your bill. Please believe that this situation is unusual.
Eric Lemaire, General Manager

Been to Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!