“Slowest internet ever” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
Rigby, Idaho
“Slowest internet ever”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I would have rated this Hampton Inn with a higher score, but the anemic internet speed was very frustrating. In 2012 there's a certain expectation for the speed of internet access, and this hotel falls woefully short. Normal web pages took far too long to load (if they even completed at all) and forget about trying YouTube, Skype, or downloading anything - it's not going to happen. I tried to test the speed (just curious) at speedtest.net, but the site was so slow it returned an error. You may notice there are no replies from the management to reviews here on Tripadvisor.com - I wonder if it's because they can't access the internet to read them?!! But enough about the internet access - this hotel was nice otherwise, with clean and fairly well updated rooms and common areas. The breakfast was good quality and well attended. The bed was comfortable and the room had a large HDTV. The shower had great pressure. Parking is somewhat limited, and the hotel provides a complimentary valet parking service when it fills up. If I were in the area again, I would choose a different property due to the internet speed issue. If having online access is something you will need during your hotel stay, you will probably want to look elsewhere.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Cristian O, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Los Angeles/Sherman Oaks, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I want to apologize for the inconvenience that you had to go through during your stay.

On behalf of the hotel we are very sorry that you had slow internet during your stay with us. We have very high standards when it comes to the emenities here with us and to find out that the internet was slow is very dissapointing to us. Once in a great while here at the hotel we sometimes do have to restart our router in order to fix this minor problem. From here on out I will make sure to do this as a priority in order to not have this problem in the future. Also, I am very pleased that you liked our service and breakfast we take great pride in our service.

I will make sure to print out a memo for all front desk members to restart our router during early morning hours about twice a month to avoid any problems with internet connections.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that this stay wont effect your future stays with us.

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
ponte vedra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Average Hampton Inn, great location in the Valley in midst of challenged neighborhood. While I would not have ventured out on foot from the hotel in the evenings, I felt comfortably safe at this hotel. As another reviewer commented the parking was quite challenging - one evening my car was "valeted" somewhere else because all of the very limited parking was filled. The staff were exceptionally attentive, business center (single computer/printer) worked well but slow. Very friendly, welcoming, everything in my room was in good condition and the air conditioning worked well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the feed back regarding our hotel and its staff. I'm certainly dissapointed that your stay was not all that it could have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of all of us here. Are parking lot usually does get full on sold out nights. I'm also very sorry that the business centers internet was slow during your stay. I understand that this can be very fustrating because a business center should be up and running to its full potential. I am pleased to know that our staff was very welcoming and friendly and that our air conditioning was working well especially with the hot weather that we've been having.

To make up for the parking we make sure to have our complimentary valet ready to make it easier for our guests especially at night so guests dont have to park out in the street. As for our internet in the business center we recently upgraded to Wi-fi this past Thursday in order to have it running fast the way it should be.

We would like to thank you again and please accept my apologies and I sure do hope you have a great day.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had a great night's sleep. They had the most comfortable pillows of any hotel! I'm very picky, and usually bring my own, but couldn't this time. Nice bed, and clean duvet. We had a loud walker above us, but that's always a risk at any hotel. Everything seemed new and top notch. They had a great breakfast too. As far as the air conditioner, it did seem to creep up. I think the trick is to set the temperature, and turn on "fan" instead of "auto."

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Waco, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I want to start out by saying don't even think about staying here. Me and my family stayed here in the end of July 2012. The service is less than satisfactory. The hotel was ehhh clean but by a long shot not the best I have ever seen. The parking situation was terrible. For the last half of the week they made it even worse by allowing a tour bus to park in their parking lot. The biggest thing I would like to tell everyone is that we had things stolen from our room. There was a gift bag with tissue paper, a bow and everything. Obviously not trash! When we called the hotels front desk that night when we discovered what had happened they told us to check the lost and found in the morning...as if it had walked out of room to the lost and found after a week of being in our room. It is now 3 weeks after our trip and NOTHING has been done! Needless to say we are NEVER staying there again and I want to warn as many people as we can!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Great place to stay in the Valley. Hotel was very clean, bathroom was huge, beds very comfy. Great location. Close to the 405 and 101 for travel. Close to the galleria (cheesecake factory, fuddruckers, arc light cinemas - and all three of those places validate parking so each of our trips was free) and Ventura blvd. Breakfast was ok. Nothing spectacular. It was all premade so we stuck with bagels and cereal (only 3 to choose from). Free parking! Lot got full at night so people were forced to park illegally. Never bothered me because no one ever blocked me in. Pool is indoor and small and HOT (said 80 on the thermostat) but my daughter loved it! Inside of hotel is MUCH nicer than the outside suggests. We actually extended our stay one day because I didn't want to move to another hotel (we hotel hopped around LA using points) that charged for parking! Would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Livermore, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I was taken aback by the neighborhood, but this Hampton fit the bill. Needed a place to stay near the Northridge campus and this was it. Clean, quiet, pleasant staff. A/C could've worked a bit better and the parking lot is a tight squeeze if you have a larger vehicle.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Novato, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

This was our first stay at a Hampton Inn, and I was not disappointed. we used the hotel as a home base for a week of exploring around LA. The location is convenient to 405 and 101 freeways, which makes it easy to get to West LA/UCLA area, as well as Universal City/Hollywood area.

The staff was exemplary, very friendly and accommodating to any requests. The only strange issue was the lack of towels the first two days we were there. we checked in and found no towels in the room, when I called housekeeping they said they had run out and were in the process of washing and drying more. we got freshly laundered towels about an hour later. The next day, it happened again, no towels. The rest of the week, we had no issues with lack of towels, but I did think it was a little strange.

I had a similar experience to other travelers regarding the parking situation, but had no issues just parking right in front of the lobby and checking with the front desk staff to make sure I was okay there.

The neighborhood is not the greatest, but certainly not dangerous, as other reviewers had insinuated. I was very comfortable walking to the chicken restaurant for dinner a few doors down the street with my two young daughters.

The complimentary breakfast was very good, with omelette, sausage or bacon and other hot options as well as the standard bagels, yogurt and cereal. We were there for 5 mornings, and it was nice to see that they changed the offerings every day so we did not get sick of the same breakfast every day.

All in all a great deal - definitely recommend!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Los Angeles/Sherman Oaks? Share your experiences!