“Good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of O Hotel

You added O Hotel to your Saves list
O Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   819 S. Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Formerly Orchid Hotel) (Central L.A)   |
Offers & Announcements
bar I kitchen & D'Vine
Ranked #149 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

For a hotel on a main street the rooms are quiet. Both my friend and I were allocated rooms which looked out to a brick wall which was depressing however better this than a noisy front room I guess. Decent selection of pastries and even fresh fruit (!!!) at breakfast. Reception staff are great, couldn't be more helpful. Great location if visiting Staples Centre (we booked to see a basket match which was great)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Erin_O_Hotel, Director of Sales at O Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Hello,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts in regards to your stay with us. We try to be as upfront as possible in regards to the view from our queen rooms - advertising them as "no view", and using photos that show the buildings outside. I apologize if you were expecting something different upon arrival. These rooms are geared toward the budget traveler, and the design focus is placed on the amenities inside the room, such as the flat screen TVs, top of the line bedding and mattresses, and luxurious bathroom amenities.

We do offer upgraded rooms on the front of the building, facing Flower Street. These rooms have King sized beds and large bright windows.
I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast offering, the staff, and the location. I look forward to welcoming you back to The O Hotel soon.

Director of Sales and Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Great modern hotel - nicely desgined lobby and pretty good complimentaty breakfast. Rooms are small but nicely decorated. The bathroom shower design is a little weird....I understand the design was to be very contemporary and open concept helps make a small space appear larger but leaving a door off the shower is silly. Water sprayed everywhere if you didnt hold the shower wand just right and you need to hold the wand in order to rinse. Aside from that its a nice hotel. Parking was $12 at an attached garage (not operate by the hotel)/. you can get ot the Staples Cente by foot and its a short drive to Rodeo.... I would go again.

Nice perk was the daily pass to Gold's gym which was just around the block.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesnt face the brick wall!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the breakfast offering, and the hotel design, as well as the Gold's Gym pass. We enjoy reading feedback like yours as it gives us an opportunity to improve our product and offering.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Director of Sales and Marketing
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We chose this hotel for New Year's Eve because it was a 5-minute walk to the Staples Center show we were attending. The hotel's location is perfect for Staples/Nokia/LA Live events, and you can park directly next to the hotel in a garage for $12 a day, which is convenient. The staff was very nice too. The big con for us was the hotel room itself. I realize it is a very old LA building, but the rooms are so tiny and I didn't like the sliding door for the small bathroom. The decor is minimal and we felt like we were inside a dorm room. The AC and tv were fine and I hear their food is good, but we didn't try it. Overall, we probably wouldn't return just because we know we have paid less at other hotels for nicer rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Maria,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I hope you had a fantastic New Year's Eve at the Staples Center!

Unfortunately the one thing we can't control here is the room size. As you mentioned, this is a historic building, built in 1925. Though the entire hotel was remodeled in 2007, the original room size remains the same. That being said, it's nice to hear that you were able to take advantage of the proximity of the hotel to the local entertainment options, and that the staff exceeded your expectations.

I hope to get the chance to welcome you back to The O Hotel in the near future.

Sales and Marketing Director
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I travel for work constantly and to have a comfortable place to stay while away from home is so important. O hotel is amazing. From their service, to their food and everything in between they are great! For starters generally parking at hotels in DTLA you're looking at $31-$40 per night even as a quest at the hotel. O hotel uses a parking structure connected to the building for $12. Very easy access. The rooms are great, comfortable bed, and very modern design. My particular favorite part was the shower! Amazing water pressure and finally a hotel that has enough shampoo and conditioner to be useful. The shampoo and conditioner is incredible,I forgot my brush that day and after using the hair product's I got many compliments on the volume and shine! They also have great extra's like happy hour, continental breakfast, and full access to Golds gym including classes.

I'll end with my other favorite. You know how after a long day and you're nice and comfortable in bed, finishing up work or reading. Then you realize you've turned on lights in the room when you came in. Well there is a great little square of switches right beside the bed that controls the rest of the room, you don't have to get up out of your nice comfy spot!! Oh this simple things! I will be staying here for all future travel to DTLA!!

Angela S.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hello Angela,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us regarding your recent stay at The O Hotel. I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed it! We're looking forward to welcoming you back to The O on your future trips. Next time, I'll be sure to send you home with some mini bottles of those Bee Kind bath products. Our guests love it!

Director of Sales + Marketing
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a review of The O Hotel's bar and restaurant. It's tucked away in the part of Flower Street that makes it difficult to just come across it while walking down town, but it's an interesting little place nonetheless. Think of it as a hotel lobby that is a diner. The ambiance is somewhat unique but fitting for a boutique hotel.

I tried the grilled mushroom sandwich and mac and cheese, and they were quite good. The pricing is also very reasonable for what and where it all is.

Sadly, the variety in the menu left quite a bit to be desired. It's a very small menu with very few options, and you can't expect to have it your way.

If I do return, it'll be for items noted above. A more expansive menu would make this well worth going to more often.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hello,

I wanted to thank you for sharing your review of our restaurant, Bar | Kitchen. I'm glad you enjoyed your meal as well as the ambiance.

We offer a seasonal menu that, while small, is focused on fresh ingredients. We change the menu four times every year to coordinate with the seasons. The Winter Menu was actually just launched last week, and is being featured on the current DIneLA Restaurant Week menu. I hope you'll take the opportunity to try some of these new items. The short rib grilled cheese is a personal favorite.

Director of Sales + Marketing
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed here since it was reasonable and close to the Nokia theater-walking distance actually. The front desk people were extremely nice and courteous. The rooms are small, but for one night it was fine. We did not use air, but left the window slightly open even though it faced a brick wall. It would be nice to have had another curtain than only a blackout one. Bathroom is small-reminds me of European style bathrooms. No counter space. But shower was nice and hot, once you figured out the wand. Bed was comfortable. Wish they did not charge the $12 service charge, but the bottled water was was included in that as was the continental breakfast. Bagels, cereal, pastries, fruit, juice and coffee were available.

Room Tip: Floor above 4th was creaky. Ask for the 5th floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us regarding your recent stay. I'm happy to report that, though it has taken a couple of months to do so, we are installing sheer curtains in every room beginning at the end of this month.
I'm happy to hear that the front desk team was friendly and helpful, and that you were able t take advantage of the proximity to all of the entertainment options in the area.

Sales + Marketing Director
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The pros of this hotel are:
- great location in downtown L.A. within short walking distance to L.A. Live, shopping, the metro and great restaurants
- continental breakfast included but you are forced to pay a mandatory $12 per day for incidentals such as going to the Gold's gym a block away, breakfast, "free" wi-fi
- the lobby is trendy and well decorated
- a Ralph's grocery store is 100 metres walk away so easy access to cheap liquor and food.
- great showers
- the hotel staff are very friendly, hard working and accomodating

The cons of the hotel:
- very poorly designed and laid out rooms which means you feel very cramped, are tight for space and have very little storage space to put your belongings; the bathrooms are tiny and cramped with no place to hang a towel except over the rack over the toilet which is not exactly hygienic. There is no bathroom counter space for makeup stuff or toiletries. The hair dryer has no power or heat.
- the rooms are getting a lot of wear and tear and are showing their mileage with banged up cabinets.
- the rooms get very hot even with no heating on; we had to leave the windows open at night to get air in and not suffocate
- no fan in the bathroom so when someone takes a shower, the entire room becomes muggy and steamy
- the bathroom is tiny
- only a single person or a couple could stay here; the rooms are too small and cramped otherwise.
- my husband "lost" his wedding ring in our room. We aren't sure what happened but can't prove any theft occured but it is very strange nonetheless.
- the view is of a brick wall of the hotel next door

If you can get a deal to stay here (less than $100 - 120 USD per night), consider staying here. Otherwise, try to stay at the Westin Bonaventure hotel a few blocks away for better value and experience.

Room Tip: Floors on the 5th (top) floor near the back are quieter; are away from busy Flower Street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Erin_O_Hotel, Director of Sales at O Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Hello,

I'd like to thank you for sharing your thoughts with us regarding your recent stay. I am happy to hear you you found our location, staff and amenities helpful and accommodating. We take pride in knowing that our staff is dedicated to the happiness of our guests.

This hotel was built in 1925, and as a historic building, certain renovations, including the room size, were not able to be accomplished when renovating in 2007. As such, we like to make the most of the space we do have, by offering as many modern amenities as possible (flat screen televisions, extremely comfortable bedding, iPod docks, wifi, etc.). Our rooms average 250 square feet, and while not huge by any means, we generally find that our guests are quite happy with the feeling of "home" that our hotel provides.

We do offer upgraded street view rooms - the Flower Rooms - that are available at a modest upgrade rate. Should you choose to stay with us again, I would be happy to accommodate an upgrade for you at no additional charge. Please feel free to reach out to me at erin@ohotelgroup.com with any further questions or comments.

Again, I appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us. We are constantly improving and adjusting our offering based on guest feedback such as this.

Warm Regards,

Marketing and Sales Director

Been to O Hotel? Share your experiences!