“Old, rude, rudimentary” 2 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Los Angeles Century City

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Los Angeles Century City to your Saves list
InterContinental Los Angeles Century City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2151 Avenue of the Stars, Los Angeles, CA 90067 (Formerly Park Hyatt Hotel) (Westside)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #49 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Old, rude, rudimentary”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I made the mistake to book a two week business stay at this horrible establishment. Despite its lobby and the plush outlook, this is only the "window" to old and neglected interiors, even in the suite I was upgraded to. Everything was falling apart, stains on the carpet, a bathroom designed in the sixties and the brilliant idea of installing the noisy minibar in the bedroom, so you won't be able to sleep. The magnificent view of a vacant parking lot, stained my memory for weeks. Equally depressing was the bare balcony with terribly aging and drab garden furniture. The room service I used frequently (as a writer I stayed in working) is rudimentary and fit for a motel. But the quintessence of rudeness was displayed by a bell boy who brought my luggage down at check-out. I handed him a $5 note which he regarded with disgust, never said "thank you," then he pointed at the valet who had brought my car and said "aren't you going to tip this guy?"
If you like motel-style operations masquerading as four star hotels, book your next stay at the Intercontinental, Los Angeles.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
OperationsLAXHA, Dir of Room Operations at InterContinental Los Angeles Century City, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Nico M.,
I would like the opportunity to discuss with you your recent stay at our Hotel. We welcome all of our guests feedback in an effort to improve. The ability to provide premium levels of service is one we take great pride in. I want to assure you this matter is taken seriously and has been shared with the Executive Office. I sent you a private message to contact me directly. Thank you again for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Dir of Room Operations

858 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Auckland NZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

A very nice hotel but in need of a refurbishment. The entrance and ground floor areas were very inviting but unfortunately the hallways to the rooms are dim and dull, -- a repaint and paper would certainly brighten it up. The AirCon unit in the room was so noisy that we were unable to keep it on at night otherwise we wouldn't have slept well especially with the fridge being loud as well, it was a good job that the bed was comfortable. The Ice Machine on our floor didn't work so had to travel to other floors to obtain some - inconvenient and thats even after we reported the fault.
The courtesy limo was a great asset, especially for Century City shopping. The staff were superb, very informative and helpful. The restaurant and lobby bar were both enjoyable.
If the Hotel was modernized and updated I'm sure it would make a vast difference and attract lots of guest as it's in a good location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TrishalAucklandNZ,
Thank you for your feedback. I'm very happy to read you had a great first impression of our lobby and enjoyed the professionalism, courtesy, and friendliness of our staff. It's typically the personal touches extended by our staff that makes our guests feel this is their home away from home. We strive to meet and exceed our guests expectations. I'm happy to inform you the guestrooms will receive a Room Refresh this calendar year and we are in-progress of revamping the motors of our air condition units. On your next visit from New Zealand, I invite you to return to enjoy the beautiful InterContinental Los Angeles.

Dir of Room Operations
Porto Alegre, RS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The location of hotel is very good, in a very beautiful avenue. The reception and concierge staff are very attentive. The valet parking service is also very efficient, though a little expensive. The rooms are not so spacious but comfortable. I recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I like the InterContinental Brand. A little bland, but you know what you're going to get: Very good service, spacious rooms, comfortable bed, business services, restaurants--all to standard.

This property does not disappoint. And it's in a really good location if you're visiting West LA for business or pleasure.

Downside? Outrageous parking fees. But, that's par for the course in LA (except, curiously, for the Angeleno, which is a good choice.)

Still, for business or vacation, this is a good choice.

If you want super-luxury, go either to Santa Monica (like Shutters) or Beverly Hills (L'Ermitage or Beverly Hills Hotel).

If you want LA history and young hipster celebrity culture, choose one of the properties like my personal favorite, Chateau Marmont. If you want something cheaper but still uber-hip, try The Standard.

But if you want a place that will deliver a very good experience in a good West LA location, and you don't want to pay the premium you'd spend for those other properties, InterContinental Century City is a fantastic choice and--if you're prepared for jaw-dropping parking fees--you will have a fantastic stay.

Oh, and in defense of the parking fees--not that there is a real defense--but each time I called for my car, and I called many times during my stay here, it was ready by the time I made it down from my room. I've never experienced that level of valet service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Got it for 150 plus taxes on a bidding site. Every room has a balcony that is most certainly a plus. Location is ok you would have to drive or cab anywhere. But I think that applies to anywhere in the LA area. I liked the hotel, parking was 30 plus a night, retrieving cars if you call ahead is quick, car was always there when I got down. Compared to 60 plus in SF I was not too bothered with the charge the staff was also pleasant enough and not have attitudes like the ones in my SF hotel. So I say go for it if you have a good rate.

• Stayed February 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Maybe I just got an updated room, but I'm not sure what some people are complaining about. It's not an economy hotel, but I felt I got a good deal for the price. The rooms are huge, particularly for a big-city hotel, and they're really quiet. I usually need earplugs to sleep when I travel and didn't need them here--not by a long shot. I got a room on the west side, and got nice views of the Pacific Ocean and the Century Studios (and small hotel garden), even though it was on the 7th floor, which was one of the lower floors. On the other side, I would have a view of the Hollywood Hills and downtown.
I didn't hear any air conditioner noise. The climate-control system was modern and worked well. The bathroom was roomy and had a large bathtub and shower. The internet was speedy and complimentary for Ambassador members (recommended). Ambassador members also get a large fruit plate, and two bottles of water. The staff were very friendly, helpful, and available. The concierge desk had particularly long hours: until 9 PM if I recall correctly.
My only complaint was that it took half an hour to get my car from the valet one day. I went up to the valet desk three times to ask what was going on. I finally had to go to the front desk of the hotel to get help. As it turned out, they had written down the wrong make of car in their records. Instead of simply coming to the waiting area and asking "We're having a problem locating the car for ticket 123456. Would you please verify the make of your car?", they apparently just got lost.
I stayed at the SLS Beverly Hills the last time I was in LA, and this hotel is far more comfortable, less pretentious, and has a less stupid design (what's up with the 6-inch deep swimming pool at the SLS?), at a better price to boot. Hopefully the valet parking snafu was an aberration. I definitely wouldn't mind staying here again. I don't need a hip, trendy design with poor lighting. I like a quiet, roomy, comfortable room, where I'm not banging my shins on the furniture!

Room Tip: Become an ambassador member before coming here (unless you're staying only one night and have no...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Glasgow, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

If you stay at this place and walk into the lobby you will probably think "what was he talking about...tired" as the lobby is really, really nice. Clearly they spent some money updating it but not the rest of the hotel.

All was good with check in, very friendly and straight up to my room.

I had been upgraded with my Ambassador card (well worth joining that program) and the room was a big suite. However, the furniture was very tired and dated. There were numerous stains/marks on the table and the desk.

Speaking of which, for a business hotel these days, hunting around for a socket was not ideal. Internet all worked and was complimentary as a Royal Amabassador member.

Bed was lovely. Bathroom, again, dated, but separate shower and shower gel was all nice.

TV had the smallest channel selection (unless you wanted Lebanese TV and so on) of English channels, again, unusual in a US hotel.

The fitness room was good with a great selection of machines. Only downside was it was like a sauna - the temperature was up in the 90's!!! I mentioned this to the front desk staff but that had no effect as the room was still boiling hot the day after and the day after that.

Also there were problems with my reservation extension and housekeeping. Not only was the housekeeping slow on most days (one day my mini-bar was not replenished) but they were quick to get me out, despite the fact that I had told the front desk that my reservation had been extended.

There is a great Starbucks couple of blocks from the hotel (not open weekends) as part of the Westfield Mall. The mall itself has lots of great places to eat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Los Angeles Century City, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Frequent traveler from Scotland,

Thank you for your feedback and for being an IHG Rewards Club Ambassador. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our room and bed.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the room amenities, fitness center and housekeeping. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to InterContinental Los Angeles Century City? Share your experiences!