“Return Traveller Opinion” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #193 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Newfoundland
“Return Traveller Opinion”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

This is my fourth time staying at the motel. Every other time has been awesome but this time I did have a few concerns. The first night I went to see the man working as the advertised free wifi wasn't working. He told me it was because of the construction causing the problem. The second night and rest of the week it worked off and on, enough that we were able to check our email and do what needed to be done each day.

When we got up the first morning, the water in the shower was warm, not hot so we turned the heater in the room on to get warmed up once out of shower. After the second day, I went and told the management and he sent the house keeping woman to show me how to work the shower...there's only one tap to turn, one way to get hot water so it wasn't an issue of not knowing how to get hot water but I went anyway and tried to explain that although the water doesn't feel cold on your hand, first thing in the morning most people like a hot shower, not luke warm.

During our week there, they had the parking lot paved which left only 5 or 6 spots in the lot. When we got back, there was nowhere to park. They had an arrangement already made with a lot across the street to pay our parking there for us, so that was a positive.

For me, my biggest concern was the shower. I really appreciate a hot shower in the morning and unfortunately even after bringing it to their attention, I didn't get that privilege.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

I am here right now... The wooden floors are faux. The shower head sprinkles out water. The motel is under construction. The room is dingy. It has some dingy stinch. The covers are touching the floor. The only thing better that sleeping in your car is that the Air Conditioning is working. Also the phone number that is given is the Best Western across the street. It is right in the middle of Chinatown. I hate this place. First thing in the morning I am leaving as soon as possible. Good thing I didn't book for the weekend. I only booked for on day. I wouldn't recommend this motel to anyone. Beware of all the reviesw that say its great. They are all lying. At your own risk and buyer beware!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Mojave, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

We searched online for a decent place to stay close to dodger stadium. This place is about a mile away. The room was spacious and VERY clean. Loved the wood floors. It was very quiet at night. Only complaint is parking is very limited. Well worth the price,, great bargain!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010 via mobile

Really cheap for LA but not worth it. Motel is located on the far adge of China town (takes an hour to get to the city center). There is only one person on staff at a time and they speak very poor English. Rooms were renovated (hotel is still under construction) but have not been cleaned properly since. There was hair all over the room (floors, bathroom, even in the bed). There were stains on the bed spread (clearly had not been washed) and when I requested a new set he told me I would need to get the sheets from the lobby and do it myself. Spend the extra money and don't stay here. You will regret it.

• Stayed July 2010
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

This motel is a great value – at $54 for two people, the price can't be beat. Rooms were bigger than expected, and very clean. Bathroom was clean, if a little dingy (grout could use some bleach). There were lots of restaurants within walking distance. Service was okay, not super friendly but fine. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

I spent a Friday and Saturday night at this motel. Don't let the size of the motel fool you! My room was huge. The sleeping area and bathroom were clean and stocked. They even had a full size refrigerator. Amazing! I enjoyed the service and people so much I stayed there the following Friday and Saturday. Stop by!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Berkeley, Ca.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

The Royal Pagoda is a remarkably cheap motel. I paid $45 a night (average) for a spartan room that had a television but no radio, refrigerator but no microwave, toilet paper but no kleenex. Like the blanket, the towels were thin, but clean and usable in the shower (there's no bathtub). There was enough light if I opened up the surprisingly large closet and turned on the light in there. The place has well-functioning wireless Internet.

Some noise trickled in from beyond the wall of the bathroom, but I closed the bathroom door and pretty much screened that out. One night the folks in the neighboring room got rowdy and seemed to have a bunch of visitors around midnight, but I don't suppose that is the mote's fault.

The place is clean, and cleaned (I saw them doing it) and even has a kind of nice wooden floor.

It's located at pretty much the northern end of commercial Chinatown, a good mile north of the main part of Downtown LA. There is a lot of transit that serves the area--DASH local (and circuitous!) buses, regular Metro buses, and the Gold Line light rail to Union Station, Little Tokyo, and Pasadena a few blocks away. If you're driving the good news is that the place is a block from a freeway ramp, the bad news is that it's onto the perpetually congested 110 Pasadena freeway. Chinatown is not the center of LA's Chinese restaurant life (that's in the San Gabriel Valley) but there are certainly plenty of places to eat, though I didn't wind up eating any meals there.

In general, I'd rather spend a bit more and stay in a more convenient location (like Little
Tokyo). But if you really want to save money on your hotel, this is an acceptable place to stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Been to Royal Pagoda Motel? Share your experiences!