“Make Denny's Look Like Spago” 3 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Catalina Bar & Grill
6725 W Sunset Blvd, Ste 100, Los Angeles, CA 90028-7163 (Central L.A)
323-466-2210
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Los Angeles
“Make Denny's Look Like Spago”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

For a nightclub this is a cavernous venue. The entire "house" is seated and served dinner in 90 minutes. It is a chaotic experience. The room is stark and dark... There is a $50 cover which is reasonable for some of the great talent appearing. However, the food is expensive and mediocre. The waiters are pleasant but rushed and often confused at to whom has ordered what.
My caesar salad ($15) was small and soggy. The "croutons" were four small corn chip triangles!?... The chicken marsala was a small portion overcooked and under sauced. The scoop of mashed potatoes appeared and tasted institutional.
If you are not hungry you can avoid the pricey dinner by going for the two drink minimum which requires no food order. The entertainment was first class.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Jazz and more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I heard that this jazz venue was located elsewhere before and was moved to this location. I found the place a bit large and not very intimate for a jazz club.

When I heard that Steve Gadd was playing there, I had to go see this drumming legend. When we got there, they were playing a smooth jazz piece and my heart sank. But soon they picked it up and it started improving rapidly, ending with quite a fine musical experience.

The food was reasonable but overpriced. I thought that after charging $40 per head for the performance, to have highly priced food was a bit much. But the mojitos were excellent!

I was particularly annoyed to find that I had to sign my credit card bill three times before it went through. A small thing perhaps but never happened to me, so had to mention it. They were not apologetic enough for this inconvenience - maybe that is what upset me. Too many clients and so the service wasn't that personal.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
North Plainfield, New Jersey
“Mmiki Howard Performance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

It was a very intimate but awesome venue. Show was outstanding, the service was great and the food was spectacular.

Visited October 2013
The IE
“AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The guy who claims to be the owner, Dan, is rude and verbally abusive to his customers!!! My son is a student at a local music school and they were having their end of the year student showcase at this place. I called two nights in a row to confirm the time.......well because I have a real job and oh yeah, I was coming from Riverside - OVER an hour drive away!!! Both times, Mr Dan informed me that the show was at 8 and doors open at 7. Well at 615 I get a call from my son asking where I'm at because the show started at 630!!!! When I called Dan to complain about being given the wrong time...not once, but twice....his response to me was "THEN DON'T F@$KING COME IN"!!!! and then he hung up on me!!!

To make matters worse.....I learned that he kept threatening to kick my son out of his establishment unless he purchased 2 drinks???? WTH???? He's one of the student performers who is there for a class!!!! When my son informed him of this, he was told "I don't give a f@$k who you are......you buy drinks or you leave."!!!!!!

My wife and in-laws did make it.......and all I heard about is how god-awful rude and bad the service was at that place!!! The second they sat down, they weren't asked politely (like at other places with drink minimums)....good evening, what can I get you, etc. Instead, as soon as they sat down, they were told you have to buy 2 drinks each, order now. So my wife ordered a soda for $5......and it was flat!! So she left! After my wife saw the waitress taking a photo of her vehicle, she called to talk to Dan about it.....again, nothing but rude and threatening.

We will NEVER return to this establishment and I will be sure to tell everyone I know to avoid this place.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mexico City, Mexico
“Steve Tyler night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

We were at LA and looking for a Jaz Club in town, and found that Steve Tyler was showing at Catalina - we proceeded with a reservation and there we go.

We had the best table available at the very dront of the atage, very good aeevice ans excelent food, lots of Jazz luminaries were that night attending the show - a terrific night.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere