“A small motel rather than a hotel category” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hollywood Inn Express North

You added Hollywood Inn Express North to your Saves list
Hollywood Inn Express North
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5131 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA 90027 (Central L.A)   |
Ranked #223 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Redwood Shores
“A small motel rather than a hotel category”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2005

Hollywood Inn Express North has less than 20 rooms. It's pretty much motel6 style with a small front desk office opened 24/7. I could smell Indian curry at the front desk office as soon as I came in. There's only 1 receptionist at the reception who has actually lived and worked there. He spoke to me while eating Indian food. He might have camera to monitor the motel in and out since I was told exactly who was with me in my room. It made me feel uncomfortable. Followings are pros and cons from this motel.

Pros: clean room, free outdoor parking, small refrigerator in the room making it different than motels, good and cheap Thai food rigth across the street, the homeless people around seemed to be peaceful and the area didn't seem to be unsafe.

Cons: everything was rundown, the hair dryer didn't work properly, the refrigerator and the AC made noise, the curtain could not be closed properly when the AC was on, the refrigerator took a whole night to cool a beer, no internet service in the room while free internet service was mentioned in the ad. The front desk smelled Indian food. The free breakfast at the front desk was served only from 7:30AM to 8:30AM and the receptionist rushed in as soon as possible to wrap everything up for himself. The room price was high for this kind of motel in this area - 2 nites for $200 with tax included.

Learning from this bad experience I would rather live in Motel6 next time for half price. I do not recommend this motel to anyone as I believe you will find better deals elsewhere with this price.

• Stayed September 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2005

We paid about $87 (with tax) to stay here for the last night in August. Had we paid $50 or $60-something I would rate this motel as a 4 or a 5, in terms of value.

I was more than a little worried about what our room might be like, but really we just needed a place to crash and were only there to explore Hollywood for the night and see the "local scenery." I've stayed at plenty of nice places in my day, but actually enjoy experiencing the other side of life once in awhile.

We found our room (#125) to be surprisingly clean. (I brought my own pillow and blanket just in case, but ended up not even needing them.) The sheets were very soft and the bed was comfortable. The room had a new refrigerator, which was a nice touch. Otherwise I would say the room was very comparable to your average Motel 6. We didn't use the pool, but it looked very clean, as did the outside of the motel. It appears that it was freshly painted and we noticed that the grounds were free of trash or debris.

Of course this being Hollywood there were a few questionable looking characters walking around, but certainly that's to be expected. We walked back to our room at 2am after barhopping and never felt unsafe. However, I would not roam this area alone, especially if you are female. The only cockroach we saw was on the sidewalk, further down on Hollywood Blvd. and NOT at the motel itself(!)

Last but not least, make sure to go across the street to Jumbo's Clown Room. This is a great little dive bar and we met a couple of fun people here, including the bartender from Germany who recommended the ~great~ Thai food place across the street (Vim). We had a wonderful meal there - soup, appetizer, 2 entrees and 4 beers for $35. The Hollywood Inn Express is located in "Thai Town" so you will probably find great Thai food anywhere in the area.

Enjoy your travels...be kind and have fun...

• Stayed September 2005
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2005

Never in my life have I went to a hotel and the bathroom has had mold and baby roaches on the floor, this is the worse hotel ever and at the price that there asking it is even more awful, My friends and I quickly found another hotel and checked out, when we confronted the front desk about the mold he said there was a leak but he didn't even offer us our money back, just a word of advice don't be fooled by the pictures that are shown.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Hollywood Inn Express North? Share your experiences!