“Favorite Mexican Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Queso Grande

El Queso Grande
10152 Balboa Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 91344-7401 (North San Fernando Valley)
818-368-9551
Neighborhood: North San Fernando Valley
Boynton Beach, Florida
“Favorite Mexican Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We made it a point to eat here when visiting Los Angeles. My husband loves Mexican food and has been coming here since the late 1960's. He was not disappointed. As for me, I enjoyed and recommend the seafood avocado salad.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Los Angeles, California
“Our favorite Mexican restaurant!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and I started coming to El Queso Grande 25 years ago and it continues to be our favorite Mexican restaurant. It's part of the chain that includes El Chapparal and El Presidente. The staff is friendly, helpful and efficient. We've never had a bad meal there in all of the years we've been dining with them. The carne asada is outstanding and I love the shrimp enchilada dinner. This restaurant has the best refried beans I have ever tasted!! The chicken tacos and cheese enchiladas are delicious as well. If you want more to eat, try the chicken or steak milanesa. Huge portion of perfectly prepared food and it's juicy and delicious. The bartender, Felix, makes the best margaritas in the Valley. If you want a satisfying Mexican meal, I strongly recommend El Queso Grande. You won't be disappointed!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“BEST IN THE VALLEY!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

I have been coming here since I was ten years old, that's 20 years El Queso Grande has been part of my life. They have the finest Mexican food. I love their weekly lunch buffet! Corn cake is AWESOME!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
burbank, ca
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

It was a birthday celebration and we decided to try this chain restaurant. Unfortunately, like most chains, the food doesn't particularly stand out. The chile relleno was disappointing, not much chile buried in lots of batter. And no stem, indicating the chile was canned. The hard-shell taco was greasy and lack crispiness. The rice was passable but the beans were heavy and dry. One positive note: our server was very friendly and attentive. El Queso Grande, like most traditional Mexican restaurants that cater to American tastes, lacked the authenticity found in smaller, family-owned places.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Shoreline, Washington
“It's LA--Mexican food should be better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

I've eaten here twice over the last couple of years, when visiting my Mom. I grew up in LA, and have fond (hungry!) memories of CalMex restaurants--but this is not the place to feed that nostalgia. This is generic MexAmerican at its most blah--cheese blanketing everything to make it acceptable, but some definite off flavors underneath. Since I don't live there anymore, I don't have a better recommendation, but this place definitely disappoints.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere