“3.5 stars - good enough - will go again” 3 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Macchi's Bistro
425 Washington Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90292-5213 (Formerly Pasta Factory Italian Restaurant) (Venice)
310-823-9838
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,776 of 8,891 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Italian
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Venice
Cross street: Clune Ave.
Description: Italian cuisine inspired by the best ingredients , cooked simply and prepared beautifully . Come and join us for Lunch or Dinner
Los Angeles, California
“3.5 stars - good enough - will go again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

In all of our years living in or coming to this area, we had never been to Pasta Factory - something about it just said "no." But I'd recently gotten a restaurant.com cert & decided to try it. And was very pleasantly surprised - by everything: the atmosphere, the service, the food. We bought their wine (ok selection of lower end wines - most around $30). Bread is great, yummy garlic/oil dipper. Fried calamari not overdone, nice marinara. Green pasta di mare good - light on mare other than squid. Veal marsala - veal cooked well, marsala a little extra sweet.Steamed broccoli - just right. Something else we like - nothing was oversalted. Tiramisu ok - we prefer lady fingers not cake. There's a lot of selection in this area - these guys must be doing something right since it's been around a while.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

San Diego
“Lesson Learned: Consult Trip Advisor First”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

That's what I get for just walking around and picking out a restaurant that just looks like it might be good. If I'd consulted TA first I would have gone down the street. But let me start off by saying the service was excellent. I was seated immediately (7 tables in use on a Wed night). I had a drink and a menu in the first minute. The food came within 5 minutes of ordering. It was hot. The waiter, and some of the other staff, came by numerous times to ask how everything was. The bread and garlic dipping sauce were good. The prices are reasonable. Okay...now to the not so good. I ordered Spaghetti Carbonara (with a "pink" sauce) - I order this dish whenever I see it on an Italian menu, but...it smelled like dirty dish water when it arrived at the table. The smell was so strong I seriously considered not even trying it. What is that? Anyway, after a few minutes of looking it over to make sure there was not a dish rag in there somewhere, I tried it. Bland. This dish is supposed to be rich and creamy - it was thin and tasteless. What a disappointment. If the service hadn't been so good I would have marked a single star.

Oh well...back to the hotel I went, hoping the concierge lounge would still have food. Next time I consult TA.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta,GA
“Average meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Food was nothing special...my meal needed to be reheated. Waitress was nice. Preferred C & O which is down the street.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Stay Away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

Things started out OK. The hot bread and garlic/olive oil dip was pretty good. The bread was a bit dense for my tastes, but it was still good.

My partner ordered the caprese salad. It looked wonderful, but he noted it was fairly tasteless. I ordered the beet salad and it was quite good - and much larger than I was expecting. If you're planning on having the beet salad as an appetizer, expect to share it!

The trouble started ironically enough when the pasta arrived. As soon as the shrimp and pesto pasta was set down in front of us, I knew something wasn't right. It looked like one solid lump of over cooked, sticky pasta. It tasted worse than it looked. Trying to salvage something from the dish, my partner tried the shrimp. Overcooked. Dry and rubbery.

My dish was simple...spaghetti and meatballs. You can't screw that up, right? Wrong. I noticed immediately that it looked like it was microwaved. The sauce had that dry "skin" look to it. Once I tossed it with my fork it exploded with steam. No way pasta gets that hot without a microwave. How did it taste? Strange. The sauce was not terrible. A bit sweet for my taste, but the pasta itself had a mealy texture that was kind of nasty. The meatballs were frightening. They had the consistency of pate. Seriously, they were mush.

Seriously, dry boxed pasta and a jar of sauce with frozen meatballs would have been better.

• Visited September 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles
“Great Family Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

This is my favorite restaurant! I used to live walking distance from The Pasta Factory and went there as often as possible. I went there for my birthday every year. The best part of the meal is the bread and garlic at the beginning. Mmmmm amazing, I think about it all the time! I highly recommend this Italian restaurant to everyone!

• Visited July 2011