“Eating in a Cave” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Caffe Pinguini

Caffe Pinguini
6935 Pacific Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90293-7674 (Westside)
+1 310-306-0117
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Caffe Pinguini is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #648 of 7,958 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Good for: Doing business, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Westside
Cross street: Culver Blvd
Description: Italian restaurant Los Angeles-Playa del Rey, near LAX and Manhattan Beach.Authentic Italian food and wine, outdoor patio, soft music, candle light and Italian hospitality.Caffe Pinguini has been the neighborhood Italian restaurant since 1997.Located just one block from the beach and only a few minutes away from LAX airport, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Marina del Rey, Venice and Playa Vista.Healthy Italian recipes, home-made bread, pasta, seafood, steaks, pizza and plenty of daily specials, romantic atmosphere and great service will assure you a great experience every time you dine at this little Italian "colony" in Southern California, you will feel like in Italy since the moment you walk through the door!
San Diego, California
“Eating in a Cave”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Restaurant is very dark inside, especially the center of the room. I had to hold the menu up in front of my face trying to read it. The waiter came along and pushed the candle from the center of the table towards me which did not help any. He then brought some bread and olive oil but no balsamic vinegar or herbs to go with the oil. I noticed other tables had some, so I asked the waiter for some. He picked up the bottle from another table, stuck it down on the table and walked off without a word. I guess they are on a budget for balsamic vinegar. The vegetable soup was home made with lots of fresh veggies. They didn’t skimp on the veggies and it was delicious. I ordered the fettuccine with radicchio which was also well prepared in a very good white sauce, but I did not realize it was also served with pancetta as I don’t normally eat pork. If I could have seen the menu better, I would have ordered a different entree. The food was well prepared and tasty, but the service and ambience left a little to be desired. For the price, I expected better. Owner needs to invest in some light bulbs, a few more bottles for the balsamic vinegar, and some customer service training for the waiter. Extensive wine list, but note that they do not serve beer.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Santa Monica, California
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was at the beachfront with a friend looking at a home under construction. After we finished we looked around for a lunch spot. We saw diners sitting in a patio on a street corner and walked over.
As soon as we walked in it was obvious this was a serious Italian restaurant and it proved to be delicious. Just the bread lets on that they are inspired about their food.
A very pleasant surprise when I least expected it.
I will be back there often.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“lovely outdoor meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We wanted a casual late dinner after watching the sunset and walked into this restaurant. The prices were affordable and we were welcomed even tho it was later in the evening and we decided to eat lightly. The outdoor setting was lovely and the food came without a long wait. . I had the scallop salad;the scallops were some of the best I have had. They were the large ones cooked perfectly and with good scallop flavor. The pasta my husband ordered was also good. I would definitely come again.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“OK food, poor service, high price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I think the title says it all. If you want Italian in Playa del Rey, go to Cantalini's. If you want good service, go somewhere else.

Visited September 2012
Chicago
“Excellent Italian restaurant off the beaten path”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This was a quiet Italian restaurant with excellent food. We were greeted and promptly sat down. Our waiter helped with our choices of entrees and the staff was very attentive cleaning dishes off the table, refilling our drinks and serving hot bread refills with our meal. It was a great recommendation by the Inn at Playa del Rey that we were staying at.

Visited November 2012