“Hotter than a Pepper Sprout!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Pasadena, California
“Hotter than a Pepper Sprout!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We have been to Bar Ama on several occasions and love sitting at the bar and along with the main stays the menu varies with different dishes each time. If you really like hot and spicy, the Nacho Margarita is for you. I had the La Pina with Mezcal, Pineapple and serrano chili and I could barely taste the pineapple. Unfortunately it was all about the heat and not the flavor. The same for the Slow Roasted Pork Molcajete. We love hot and spicy, but when the heat overpowers the flavors you miss out on the entire experience. The Tex Mex Queso and made to order guacamole with fresh chips was very good and the Roasted Sweet Potato was delicious. They do not put the tacos on the menu which is too bad for first timers because they are very tasty. The patrons at the bar and the people crowding behind you were very friendly. Our bartender Jessica was super nice and even though she was busy, she took the time to check back with us.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“I will Be Back and Back and Back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I had the best fish and shrimp tacos from a happy hour menu ever! Tequila and sangrita were very good even though I don't usually do silver tequilas I was happy with it. Service was very nice even with a happy hour rush. You must try guacamole! They make it at your taste!

I will be back soon!

Los Angeles, California
“Comfort Tex-Mex With a Twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I have now been to Bar Ama three times and its official I'm in love. I am from San Antonio and my husband and I are in a decades long debate over whether California Mexican food is any good. It is fine and will do in a pinch, but Tex Mex is what I was raised on so for me-- that's what I love. Bar Ama is the closest I've found to what I grew up on -- with improvements. The Mom's Enchilada's are chicken and cheese in green sauce with sour cream. One bite and its like I'm back in SA! And they have incredible vegetable small plates -- fried brussell sprouts, roasted cauliflower -- delicious and almost makes you feel like you're eating healthy.

The guacamole is the living end. Its hands down the best guac in Los Angeles. Paired with my favorite drink -- the Nacho -- it is the surefire way to cure a terrible day. I am blessed to work around the corner from this joint, so I am now making it a habit. I

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pacific Palisades
“Best Cocktails, Great Food, Bad Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Positives:
The Nacho is the best margarita I have ever tasted!
Really neat space downtown. Nicely decorated, with a old-school hipness to it.
The menu is very eclectic, but tasty. Fantastic chips and guacamole.

Negatives:
Terrible service. Hipster 20 somethings with attitude in spades.
The bartender looked at me with contempt as I tried to order a drink.
It was one of those instances where you are trying so hard to be nice because you think it will snap them out of their snot nosed attitude, all for not.

I hope that the service improves because I really liked the food and drinks.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane
“The first time I've been physically aroused by guacamole...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I picked up some ravenous Australians from the airport who needed to be fed and watered urgently. We headed down to Bar Ama on recommendation of a local. It was glorious. Many margaritas were had and frivolity ensued. There was also a guacamole that has now become the love of my life. It was about 85 avocados, with just some seasoning and lemon... my lord...

Just get that.