“New Year's Eve dinner” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Water Grill

Water Grill
544 S Grand Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90071-2602 (Central L.A)
213-891-0900
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Water Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 8,655 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cross street: 6th St.
Goodrich, Michigan
“New Year's Eve dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

It was very busy, so we had to sit at the bar. I loved my scallops and my husband enjoyed Chilean Sea Bass. Very pricey though. Friendly waitstaff.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Halifax, Canada
“A letdown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This place looks very inviting from the outside: lovely looking seafood, nice bar at which one can eat. But don't judge this restaurant by its cover. One of us has dietary restrictions -- fat is a problem -- and when the waiter was informed of this, he answered, “I’ve never heard that one before!” Really? In stay-skinny LA? And even so, did you really say that outloud??? His table-side manner was over the top (I truly think he called me "m'lady" at one point), but maybe he's doing the LA thing of constantly auditioning for his breakthrough role. He did steer us away from an appetizer we were about to order, saying it is bland. But the other dishes we got weren't particularly flavorful either. Also, the default bread, which is often very good in such places, was just weird: dark, and with a tough (not crusty; tough) crust. Our glasses of white wine ($12 or so a pop) weren't cold enough either. The restaurant was oddly quiet at dinner time on a Friday (albeit in December – maybe parties were its competition). And all this for prices that would lead one to expect more Maybe it'd be be good for lunch if one knows what to order, but we were left underwhelmed.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
st. louis, missouri
“Dinner after Disney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We went to the water grill after the afternoon Christmas chorale at the Disney center. We were early so we had to wait for the restaurant to open at 5pm. We shared a bottle of Chardonnay which was very good. We also shared a bream that was a special appetizer that day. It was very good but was way overpriced. My son had the scallops,my wife had the sea bass and I had the Ono. The three fish dishes were all quite good and the restaurant allowed us to change the accompaniments to the entrees. I had the grilled veggies rather than the root vegetables and it was an excellent choice. The service we had was great. I considered the prices quite high for what we had but this is an La restaurant

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hartford, Connecticut
“Great Fish and a Fun Spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We ate here twice while in LA at an annual conference in October. The food is excellent, service outstanding and the raw bar was one of my favorites. The restaurant can be very noisy and busy, but its actually part of the ambience. I had sea bass the first night and scallops the second and both were perfectly prepared. The second night we were with a very large group and the service was just as spot on with 15 people as with 6. Be prepared, its as pricey as a NY Steakhouse, but worth it.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Very nice meal; eclectic and fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I had dinner there with a friend. The menu was seafood-heavy but with plenty of other options. We ordered a few things and shared; a number of apps and an entree. Everything was very good. Some of the items cost more than I would have anticipated, and the wine was expensive (concerted effort to "sell us up" on the choice of wines) so the meal was lovely but certainly not a bargain. We had good service and a nice table. Eclectic interior, valet parking, efficient service. I would go back.

• Visited November 2013