“Quality Food, Great Service” 5 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Spumoni Restaurant
14533 Ventura Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 91403-3772 (South San Fernando Valley)
818-981-7218
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,886 of 7,958 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Neighborhood: South San Fernando Valley
Neighborhood: South San Fernando Valley
Los Angeles, California
“Quality Food, Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is a restaurant where you are assured you will get a good, reasonably priced meal, with great service. I was a big fan of the Spumoni on Montanta, and so delighted when they moved to my neighborhood in Brentwood. While I not longer live nearby (relocated), I do still return. If you are looking for a great romantic spot, this is not your place. It is, however, quiet enough to enjoy conversation, and I must also tell you, it is TINY.

All pastas are good. Pizza is great, and I had the chicken cacciatore, and loved it. My only complaint, is that i did not like the chicken breasts flattened.

This is a great family place, or just a great place to grab a quick bite. I believe there is no alcohol served and I am unsure if it is BYOB. Call ahead. the santa monica location does serve liquor.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

rhode island
“mexican italian food, and no spice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Coming from Rhode Island, where great italian food is everywhere,, I did not have big expectations for italian food in LA. What I did not expect was to find that this place was entirely staffed by hispanics. The kitchen is open to the dining area, so yes, I can definitely say, entirely! Now I've got no ethnic issues, only culinary ones.

The food was bland. I had eggplant parm. and the eggplant was very fresh and portion great, but the sauce was tasteless. There was a jumbo size riggatoni as my side pasta, coated with... bland pink sauce. My daughter had an alfredo dish, that was greasy and tasteless, but a huge plateful of it. Apparently, the chef has never met garlic or oregano.

The best thing was the fresh baked breads and olive tampanade that were served when we were seated. Wait-staff were mechanical, not at all personable, and the place is very loud and crowded. I think they were busy because the highly recommended italian restaurant across the street, Vicentes, was closed... it was Monday. That's what real italians do, close on mondays..

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Great food, decor just needs to be updated.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

The food is great. My favorite Italian food restaurant in the valley. The food is always fresh and flavorful and they have multiple dishes of gnocchi (potato pasta) which most so-called italian restaurants don't even offer on the menu.
They do deliver as well. If you eat at the restaurant the service is interesting. Since it is a family owned and run business everyone helps each table. So the uncle may take your order then the daughter will bring over the drinks and appetizers and the owner will bring you your meal so tipping is interesting. But they all watch your drinks and bread basket so nothing runs low the whole time.
The prices are very reasonable. And dessert - tiramisu comes with most meals.
Overall a hidden gem in the valley.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A good find on a very busy street”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

A simple, family-run Italian restaurant with very good food. The service was fantastic and the food was delicious. The portions are not the biggest, but they are just right. It's a small restaurant sitting among many other stores and restaurants there on Ventura Blvd, so it might be easy to miss. But, me and my friends were definitely glad to have walked in there. Good atmosphere to enjoy a good meal and chat with friends. I look forward to going back the next time I'm in the area.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“the food was mediocre, but the service was amazing. the owner was super friendly and gave us free wine. it's a shame...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

the food was mediocre, but the service was amazing. the owner was super friendly and gave us free wine. it's a shame the food isn't better.