“Overrated” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Art's Delicatessen

Art's Delicatessen
12224 Ventura Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 91604-2557 (Universal City Area)
818-762-1221
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Universal City Area
Description: “Every Sandwich is a Work of Art” &“Every Customer is a Member of our Family.”Welcome HOME to Art’s Deli. Serving you with care Since 1957.Your Hosts: Art, Sandy, Harold and RobertaMost of our menu items have been created from old family recipes dating back to the early 1900’s. We use only the highest quality of products. Our suppliers pick only products that meet our high standards.
L.A.
“Overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

We heard so much about Art's that we specifically traveled into the Valley (Studio City) to try it. I come from a family that once owned/operated a deli so I'm familiar with quality meats etc. Also, there are PLENTY of deli's to choose from in L.A. This is not one of them.

los angeles,ca
“one of the yummiest delis in L.A.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

O.K. It isn't N.Y.C.,but if you never had deli in N.Y., this is very good.The pastrami sandwiches are excellent.

New York City, New York
“the best pastrami in the valley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Art has been a fixture in Studio City for at least 50 years. It is bigger than the original, but the quality is still tops. The best hot corned beef or pastrami sandwich in the san fernando valley.

Visited October 2011
US
“Lousy service, food okay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We were a group of 9 people and when we ordered, we asked for 3 checks and specified who was on which check. The waitress was confused from the beginning, even though we were a quiet group with few demands. After we finished eating, we got 2 checks and the waitress would not change the bills. One of the bills looked wrong. On the menu, coleslaw was included with sandwiches; we were charged for 1 order of coleslaw with no explanation of why when no one was charged for the other coleslaws we had that came with the sandwiches we had ordered. At the end of the meal, after giving them credit cards, we were given 3 credit cards back with the bills and none of the cards belonged to anyone at our table. Sloppy and strange service. When we asked about the extra charge, the explanation was that we had asked for the coleslaw (3 people who got a sandwich asked for coleslaw, one asked for potato sandwich). We never ended up understanding why the extra charge for one of the coleslaws and ended up paying for it. Communication was difficult and the waitress and manager had no interest in explaining or in good customer relations.

The food was good, typical deli except that the corned beef and pastrami were very nice and lean. The "light" lox and bagel plate (for $13.50) was meager and nothing special. One slice of tomato, one slice onion, about 1 1/2 slices of lox, a bagel, and a good amount of cream cheese.

There is valet parking in front and easy access from the 405 freeway. Not a place we will come back to -- there are too many other places that want our business; Art's clearly didn't.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Malibu, California
“Enjoyed my first visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

I found this place to be not nearly as awful as previous reviews suggest. It was my first visit, and the friend I met there had been there in the past and was not disappointed. Our omelettes were excellent. The service is nothing to brag about - what is it with deli waitresses over 50? (and I am over 50 so I can say that) - many - not all - are just so "indifferent." But I have seen that in other delis too.

We met there on a Sunday at 11:45 am and there were a number of tables and booths available, but when we left around 1:15 there was a quite crowd waiting for tables.

Overall - probably not as good as Brent's but I would definitely choose Art's over any Jerry's Deli. All the delis have higher prices these days than in the "old days" and I don't think Art's prices are excessive - I think they are in line with the others. I would certainly go back and I give it a 4 out of 5 overall.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere