“The new Mimi” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“The new Mimi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

After more than 30 years in the restaurant business , chef Mimi Hébert reopened her successful ' chez Mimi' in the Palissades. A great thing to know is that nothing has changed! The conforting 'french bistro' cuisine that made her réputation is as good as ever.From 'poisson du jour' to the 'bavette' ; good , tasty, generous and fresh entrées are followed by great deserts with the prize Winning Tatin and old Québec rooted 'chômeur ' The wine list in short but very well chosen from new to old World with a sélection that will please every budget. In this world of trends and fads it's great to find places with good classic yet heatwarming cuisine ; Mimi once again succeeds!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, CA
“Quel Dommage, Quelle Stupide”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Food is fine, moderately costly but priced fairly for serious and careful cooking. But I'd like to know, was I unlucky on one night or is the MANAGEMENT STUPID? (see below). I'm unlikely to find out--why try try the place again with a good restaurant next door (Taste) and a wonderful and delightful restaurant up the hill (Casa Nostra) that is friendly and no corkage.

Here is what happened. My wife and I came in on a Thursday night. The place was at most 1/3 full. It was her birthday and we brought in a lovely bottle of Pinot Noir I'd given her, bought from a winery we'd once visited. I would taste it and she'd have a glass. So I explained the special occasion/gift to the waiter and asked if they'd waive the $20 corkage [that's a little high anyway, isn't it?]. Waiter said he'd have to check with the owner and would let me know. After a wait [is that why he's called a waiter?], he came back and said Sorry, no. I let him know I was annoyed, but we ordered our meals and a glass of wine for her. As we ate our otherwise perfectly fine meal, an aproned man came out and visited cheerfully with guests at two other tables. I don't know if this was the owner or not. It just seems a stupid business practice to not come over to our table and smooth our feathers, get to know us, jolly us up, etc. And now with social networking to spread the word, he's stuck with a critical review. Quel dommage!

• Visited October 2012