“Great food, loud room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ado

Ado
796 Main St, Los Angeles, CA 90291-3216 (Venice / Beach Areas)
310-399-9010
Neighborhood: Venice / Beach Areas
Los Angeles, California
“Great food, loud room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Love the food here, homemade pastas, delicious filet mignon, excellent crab salad. But the room itself is SO LOUD it made my last meal here my last. Also someone bumped our table and spilled red wine, no reaction by anyone. Very hard to get a good table for 2, mostly large groups, sometimes with backpacks which is so strange because it is an intimate room. Also the cooking smells permeate second floor where most of the tables are.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New York City
“Forgettable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

They are real Italians, that part is authentic. The food that they are cooking is good quality but it's bland. For some reason they are dumbing it down for the crowd, which makes it forgettable.

Nothing we ate stood out in my mind, and we were four hungry people who tried many dishes. The wine list is also exorbitant, with only 2-3 bottles under $100.

I wouldn't go back.

Visited September 2012
Kauai, Hawaii
“Dirty Bathroom, Bad Italian”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

You can judge restaurants' kitchen by its bathroom, and that's a scary thought after my last night's visit to Ado. Their bathroom belongs to a gas station, not a michelin starred chef's restaurant. It's dirty, it smells, it is an appetite destroyer.

My main course, the beef and kale ravioli didn't sit well in my stomach. It was bland tasting, and not well prepared at all. A healthy addition of pepper didn't help either. My friends pasta with japanese eggplant was awful. For dessert I tried the pistachio custard. Pistachios were delicious as they usually are, custard was super eggy with no balance of other flavors. Even their selection of bottled water tasted like tap water.

The decor is ok. It feels like a roadside cafe in any European country. The music selection is weird - soft 80's rock. The waiter was ok.

I will certainly not be back, and I'm still shivering on the thought of their dirty dirty bathroom.

Gross.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Food - great, ambiance - not so great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

The Daughter and I were travelling separately in the US and hooked up in LA. There we reconnected with cousin Rachel who we hadn't seen in about 20 years. After we all met up at a dinner party thrown by the friends we were staying with she suggested we meet again at Ado together with a couple of her friends and, after driving the wrong way on Main Street - the numbers descend when driving north in Santa Monica and ascend when driving south in Venice - for a while, we finally found the joint. There is valet parking but The Daughter has outstanding parking karma so we left the car on the street.
Arriving early for once we took a seat at the outdoor patio and had a glass of Barolo while we waited for the others to show up. Another couple who lived in the neighborhood and had just dropped by for a glass were seated there and we had a nice conversation - turns out he held a patent for the first portable computer - for half an hour before Rachel and her friends Katie and Peter showed up. Peter was a regular so there was much hugging with the maître d’ before we were ushered up to the first floor dining area.
There is outdoor seating on a balcony and do try to sit there if you feel that holding a conversation is part of a dining experience as it is almost impossible to hear the person next to you in the main dining area. If you have any low talkers in your party they will not be heard.
The waiter went through the specials of the day which - to be honest - I did not hear. The only thing I did hear was his claim that the food was equivalent to a one star Michelin - the place just didn’t have one. Smile. However, the prices were equivalent to a one star Michelin although it was tough to see them on the menu because they were printed REAL small and the lighting was...intimate. It would be a good idea to check out the menu on line before you go.
I decided to go with what Peter recommended as I could hear what he said. I started with a duck carpaccio which was excellent and followed up with the grilled wild boar tenderloin which was also excellent. We all exchanged bits of our meals so I also had a taste of the red beet tagliolini and the sea bass - also excellent.
In summary the food and service was fine but the ambiance left a lot to be desired. I hope that they are successful enough to either buy some sound proofing or move to another location which is more conducive to conversation which I consider to be integral to a dining experience.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Malibu, California
“Hot - And that's Not a Compliment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

More cramped than a sardine can. Waiters could barely move, which may partially explain the service - not just bad, none. Hotter than hell (restaurant has no A/C or ventilation and sits above the kitchen) and just as hard to get even a glass of water. Intolerably loud - I think my ears were bleeding by the end of the meal - and we skipped desert to end the torture. Insanely expensive; insufferable corkage policy; dark and depressing. AVOID!

• Visited March 2012