“Quality restaurant on Abbot Kinney” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Joe's Restaurant

Joe's Restaurant
1023 Abbot Kinney Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90291-3386 (Venice / Beach Areas)
+1 310-399-5811
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Joe's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #241 of 8,645 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: French, Contemporary, Eclectic, Californian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Venice / Beach Areas
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: Santa Monica 2 at Westminster/Abbot Kinney MTA 33/333 two blocks away at Brooks and Main/Abbot Kinney and Main Santa Monica 1 two blocks away at Brooks and Main/Abbot Kinney and Main
Description: Abbot Kinney's Original Fine Dining Experience where Farmer's Market Driven Ingredients Meet a California-French Cuisine in a Comfortable Neighborhood Atmosphere in Venice Beach
Melbourne
“Quality restaurant on Abbot Kinney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Smart little place on Abbott Kinney, and a good choice for a night out with my loved one.

Clever menu that doesn't try too hard, and works well across all courses and wine offerings.

Moderate but ample portion sizes with a focus on quality, it might disappoint those who's priority is quantity.

Service was helpful and knowledgeable, friendly yet not smart-arsey. I will return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

San Francisco, California
“Meh. Maybe they are getting tired?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Made reservations on the recommendation of a friend who called Joe's a "classic." Note to self, beware of classics. Classics can mean tired or indifferent.

From the moment we walked in the door I should have know something was wrong. It was a Sunday evening and although there were people in the restaurant/at the bar, it didn't by any means look crazy busy. The hostess was ICY. We were the only people waiting and she asked me sternly twice what my name was after I initially checked in. I did not feel welcome.

After being seated a friendly waited took our orders, two of us had their prix fixe menu and two did not; three ordered salmon entrees and one the shrimp entree, all of which we clearly stated. When the entrees arrived, four salmon entrees were brought. When we could finally catch the waiter, we reminded him that one had ordered the shrimp, and he apologized and took the salmon. It took nearly 20 minutes for correct entree to arrive (at this point it was 8:30 pm and, tables were emptying and shrimp don't take that long to cook, I am sure of that) and in the mean time two of us had virtually raw servings of salmon. I know salmon is delicate and am ok with it rare, but it was downright raw. So those two entrees when back in the kitchen. They re-cooked our fish (this time very well-done, perhaps to spite us?) and re-plated on the same plate with a different side (wild rice, which I don't eat). Ugh.

The waiter was very nice and patient, and did bring a complementary dessert to make up for the entree fiascos. All were fine and we appreciated the gesture, but at that point we just wanted to go home.

So many great restaurants in the area, spend your $$$ elsewhere.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Maplewood, New Jersey
“Everything was yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Not easily impressed by restaurants, but Joe's was remarkable! Bread was delicious, salad was just fabulous, my main meal "ravolo with beets" was yummy, and deserts were chocolatey heaven. Service was very quick and pleasant. Overall, a wonderful experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
US
“somewhat disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

What a lively scene on Abbot Kinney Blvd! We walked the street from east to west on a Saturday nigh, which meant we reached Joe's at the end of the walkt. Most restaurants were completely full, with people waiting on the sidewalk. There were some empty tables at Joe's, however. We were seated in the back room, which I think was a winterized sort of patio. There were overhead heaters but it was still on the chilly side (the atmosphere looked better in the front room, but although we reserved a month in advance, we were not offered a seat there). The food was fine but lacked spark. My brussel sprout and carrot appetizer had only a few pieces of sprouts (a few leaves and a couple of tiny and somewhat sour sprouts), carrots done several ways (not all successful) and an odd vegetal sorbet (beet?) which melted almost immediately and turned the whole dish soupy. The lamb was quite good although several pieces were overdone (I ordered it medium rare). I was pretty excited about going here but I'd have to say "meh." Next time I will try one of the other places on Abbot Kinney.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“The locals love Joe's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I came in from out of town to visit my father for his birthday. I asked him to pick a special place for dinner and he picked Joe's. Overall, Joe's is a delicious dining experience. Everything we had was creative and tasty. Only one exception, the langostino appetizer was a bit fishy and not pleasant to taste. On the other hand the Mushroom Ravioli appetizer was beyond delicious. I cannot believe I let my Dad have the extra Ravioli, but it was his birthday.

• Visited December 2013