“Spain in LA” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Paella

La Paella
476 S San Vicente Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90048-4107 (Central L.A)
323-951-0745
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Chicago, Illinois
“Spain in LA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Wonderful retreat from the ordinary. Authentic cuisine and a very friendly staff. We even had a special visit from the owner. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone seeking wonderful tapas and traditional Spanish fare.

Visited November 2010

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The Best Paella in Los Angeles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

This is a small family owned restaurant just outside Beverly Hills. It's traditional paella dishes prepared by a great family from Spain. In the 10+ years I have lived in California I didn't have a great paella dish until now. Once you enter this small family restaurant you feel as if you're in a restaurant in Spain, not Los Angeles. The ingredients are fresh an prepared to near perfection. They have an excellent assortment of tapas that are fun to share with others while enjoying their addictive sangria...and I usually hate sangria! If you have an appreciation for paella this place is a must!

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
“Excellent service nice atmosphere but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

We ordered a paella marinera which tasted pretty good though I can't say it's the best I have had in my life.
Service was excellent, well trained staff.
My only complaint was with the portion of the paella; too portion controlled. Though I must highlight that it was light indeed. Not greasy nor salty.
At every place I have had paella before in my life, and I'm 52, they bring enough paella to be able to repeat. That was not the case here. Perhaps, I have been spoiled by my previous experiences, which have been too many. I was left expecting my second plate.
Aside from that, it was reasonably priced considering the location.

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
los angeles
“Only place in Los Angeles for good, authentic paella”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

Paella is deceptively hard to make well. Many restaurants in the offer claim to offer paella but a lot of it is just latin american chicken and rice. La Paella has the real deal. It's one of the only places in LA to get good, authentic paella. I'd put their paella up against some of the better houses in Spain (and I've eaten at the best of the real deal in Spain). Their tapas and other entrees, especially the fish cooked in salt, are very well made and authentic as well.

Some people may just not be into paella. You need to like rice to enjoy it. Spanish food is also very salty. If you don't like spanish food fine, but LA Paella makes spanish food done well. Many los angelenos order the sangria. It's a profit center for them, but no one in Spain orders sangria (it's for the tourist). Check out the spanish wine selection-- marked up for a profit but a very good selection.

Staff is friendly and efficient. Setting is clean, homey and nice, if uninspiring. Food is expensive, even considering what you get, but well worth it if you love spanish food. In fairness, there is no way to do spanish food on the cheap-- the good ingredients necessary are too expensive.

• Visited March 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
beverly hills
“Never Coming Back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

The place was horrible. There's barely any room to move around (very tight quarters). It was very hard to find parking. The portions are very small, the dishes are nothing special, and I still was hungry after leaving the place. Owner and waiters kept on coming by and trying to sell wine. The waiter kept on mooching for a bigger tip after 15% was given. Stay away from this place. It's a waste of time, money, and food.

lapaella, Owner at La Paella, responded to this review, January 4, 2010
For the people that have been to LA Paella is no need to say that what it's said here is not even close to what we do. It criticizes us with the intention to harm the business. I know what happened that day a year ago and it had nothing to do with the food nor pushing the sale or anything. I can give more detail for interested people at usalapaella@hotmail.com