“Great sushi” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sushi Hirosuke
17237 Ventura Blvd Ste C, Los Angeles, CA 91316-4061 (South San Fernando Valley)
(818) 788-7548
Neighborhood: South San Fernando Valley
Sylmar, California, United States
“Great sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We found this place because of a restaurant.com offer - and it was lucky we did. We have been several times and have always enjoyed it. the fish is fresh and flavorful. The servers are quick and quiet. We usually sit at the bar, and the chefs are fun and open. The price is reasonable as far as sushi places go. I love this place!

Visited October 2011

50% Recommend
California
“Good Sushi with a Groupon”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

My husband, my 10 year old daughter and I had dinner at Sushi Hirosuke on Saturday 5/19 to celebrate our 13 year Anniversary! We paid $20 for a $40 Groupon and looked forward to having sushi.

We ordered some hot tea and water while we looked at the menu to decide what to order. I loved the tall glasses of water with lemon in it, as well as all the different types of tea cups we each had. We ordered the:

Tofu Salad $6
Crunchy With Spicy Tuna Roll - spicy tuna, cucumber, gobo inside, crunchy outside, spicy mayo and eel sauce $11
Red Dragon Roll - spicy tuna, crabmeat, asparagus inside, seared tuna outside with fried onion, scallion, soy paper, garlic ponzu and chili oil $15
Daniel Roll - California roll inside, salmon outside, baked roll with eel sauce $15
Chicken Kushiyaki (2 sticks) $4
Bowl of rice $2

When the tofu salad was placed on our table, our first impression was that it was cheap looking. It was a bunch of tofu scattered over iceberg lettuce with a few pieces of chopped tomato, and a few shreds of red cabbage. The miso salad dressing tasted great, but would have loved to have romaine lettuce or mixed greens. A little seaweed or daikon would have been great.

Of the three rolls, the Crunchy With Spicy Tuna Roll was my favorite. All three rolls were a pretty big serving, with 8 pieces each. The Chicken Kushiyaki had good flavor.
The service was good, and we had a nice dinner. We would return again if we had a Groupon,

It was great to go to Menchie’s frozen yogurt next door for dessert!

Here’s my 10 year old daughter’s review:
“The spicy tuna roll was delicious! I loved the different textures in the roll. The BBQ sticks were soooooo good. However there were only 2 sticks! After, we were still hungry so we ordered the Daniel roll. A California roll with baked salmon on top. But when I took my first bite, the skin in my mouth felt like it was peeling off. IT WAS VERY HOT! That means it was fresh, but still....... Overall, the rolls we're delicious, and I will come back. Service - 3 stars. Food - 4 1/2 stars. Flavor - 5 stars. Overall - 4 1/2 stars. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! “

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
West Hollywood, CA 90069
“Sushi Rolls are Works of Art and Tasty Too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

A wide assortment of unique sushi rolls, that taste as good as they look. All rolls are very filling and satisfying. Favorites include the Red Dragon, White Lightning, Yasu Roll and the aptly named Oh My God roll. The dynamite, green mussels and other sides are great too and the service is prompt and friendly.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Calabasas, California
“Beware of Hidden Costs!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I had lunch with a friend today at Hirosuke. The sushi was ok...although certainly not the best I've ever had. My friend ordered Uni Sashimi and as he began eating it, the uni was almost melting on the plate...something I've never seen happen before. When the check came, the Uni Sashimi was $24.00!!!! I almost fell off the stool, especially since I was paying!
I 'm not questioning the right of a restaurant to charge what they feel they should. However, I feel that when a dish is so over the top expensive, it behooves the sushi chef to mention the price. That would be the classy thing to do.
To add insult to injury, I called the manager tonight to discuss this and offer my opinion about giving the price upfront, and he was arrogant and nasty. Not the smartest attitude to have in this tough economy. Especially when the sushi is just ok.

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Average Japanese food... atmosphere uhhhhhh...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

This place sports the typical So. Californian Sushi fare - Caterpiller and 30 + other sushi roll concoctions. There must be a sushi school in Korea churning out all these "sushi chefs", because I see the same rolls everywhere in Japanese food restaurants, run by Koreans. Anyway, this place is like that. If you order anything other than sushi, like Beef or Chicken Teriyaki, basically it will be grilled meat with sauce on top (which is what I had). The portions were a bit small, but the place made up for it with HUGE sushi rolls.
The atmosphere is not much, unless you are just there to eat, then it may be fine. We went here on a Groupon, so at least we didn't pay much. All in all, there is nothing special about this place... nothing bad, just nothing great either.

• Visited December 2011