“Good but pricey for not so generous portions” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coral Tree Cafe

Coral Tree Cafe
11645 San Vicente Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90049-5105 (Westside)
310-979-8733
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Neighborhood: Westside
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Good but pricey for not so generous portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

After more time spent at LAX this morning we were famished so we stopped in on the way home for a late breakfast. My husband got the Vegetarian Benedict for $11.95, I got the Huevos Rancheros at $11.75 ordered Grilled Steak Sandwich for my son to go & a bread pudding.
The food was good however, the three items with the small dessert was$47.35 which is not what I would normally spend for breakfast/lunch. I would consider spending this much as a treat or for dinner so my husband & I agreed we have to cut it out this eating out spending spree. Time to get back to the basics and eat at home.
The portions are small for the price. On my Huevos Rancheros, two eggs on two blue tortillas smeared with refried beans and a small side of potato doesn't add up. To charge almost $12 it would have to be $3.00 worth of food right? But what we got adds up to a cost of only $1.50 tops if that! The appropriate price should be no more than $8.95.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Riyadh
“Very big portion, staff does not clean tables as fast they should do”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I just had a Moroccan mint green tea and they served it in a tea pot. This was a surprise to me. The only negative thing I saw was the fact that the tables stayed uncleared for extended periods of time.

Visited July 2013
San Francisco
“Great breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

We were running around LA looking for a good place for brunch and this place popped up on Yelp. We zipped over (luckily we were close by near UCLA) and are really happy we did. It was excellent and not too expensive. A great combo. Terrific service too. It's a casual and friendly atmosphere. Not at all stuffy, but not divey either. Just perfect. Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“The reason for my rating: Blatant disregard for the well being of their guests.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I was very excited to try this restaurant finally after passing it all of the time. Apparently there is a sign posted on the left door stating"watch your step". Sorry that I didn't stop to read the doors before walking in. I certainly didn't expect an immediate drop as soon as I took a step into the restaurant. I ended up flying down two steps and landed onto my face..literrally. That is not the disappointing part. Not one patron or staff member came over to help me up off of the floor. Is this what society has come to? A person cannot stop eating for one minute to help someone off of the floor?

After I got up and made my way over to a seat, a supervisor came over and asked me if I was okay and offered me ice for my very swollen foot. She was professional and provided the name / # of the corporate office and suggested I contact them to report the matter.

I have never fallen in a public place in my life. I didn't want to make a big deal, I just wanted to make sure that my foot was not broken. I recently completed chemotherapy and was concerned about the healing process. I contacted the corp office and the receptionist who answered clearly was having a bad day or has anger issues. I finally make it past her extrememly poor attitude and lack of customer service skills to a person who could care less about the incident, but took my name /# and said that she would call me back in a couple of days to see if I was okay. I never heard from this individual. Not that I am surprised.

I think it's sad when a company doesn't even care to make sure that a guest who fell on their property is okay and treated with respect by their staff. The two steps down as soon as someone walks in is clearly a risk. It just takes that one person who can really hurt themselves badly. So here's my warning: The food may be good, but make sure that as soon as you open the door, LOOK DOWN.

Very disappointed in the management staff at this restaurant. Not the way to handle the situation. It's almost as though they want people to get an attorney and make a claim. I didn't want anything from them but a showing of concern and respect. Shame on them!

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kathmandu
“Coral Tree Cafe So-So”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

It had been a few years since we had visited the Coral Tree. I really enjoy the Panini Rustica - a near perfect blend of artichoke hearts, havarti and spinach on delicious house baked bread. The prices had risen by about 15%. The cashier asked if I would like egg whites only. I said no. My husband ordered Huevos Rancheros. We ordered 2 large dark roast coffees. The bill came to over $31 before tip! I asked to look at the receipt and sure enough, she had charged me an extra $1.50 for the egg white option, which she corrected right away.

The (whole egg) Rustica was as delicious as I remember, but the potatoes that came with it were coated with some heavy flavored salt and only okay.

My husband's Huevos Rancheros were odd. They came with two blue corn tortillas, a small smattering of mediocre beans and the salsa was bland and tasteless.

The busboys do a great job of cleaning up the tables and delivering the food and coffee with a smile.

I think what is happening here is that the Coral Cafe is set up as a family restaurant and is not catering to people that enjoy the food. They do have a kid's menu. To be fair, we are both very good cooks and expect great food at restaurants. This was not the case here.

This restaurant is a nice bike ride from our Santa Monica home and we used to frequent it more often. The dark roast had greatly improved since the last time we were there, however.

• Visited January 2013