“Omakase from Sasabune - a gastronimical and visual treat” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sushi Sasabune
11917 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90049 (Westside)
(310) 478-3596
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Westside
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Omakase from Sasabune - a gastronimical and visual treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had Omakase for the first time here. Omakase simply means 'Trust the chef' or 'Leave it up to us'. This meant that rather than select our choice form the menu we would leave it to the chef to build the courses and the food that was served to us.

We had tuna, uni, salmon, mushroom, crab, meltingly soft shrimp and a whole host of other seafood until I could eat no more and had to tell the waitress to stop any more courses for me. The others went on till they were full. We also were served edamame and mackerel in brine as sides.

Hot Japanese tea or sake are the perfect complement to this type of a meal. They are a traditional lot and will tell you which course needs soy and which doesn't.

Please go to Sasabune. Traditional Japanese doesn't get better than this.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Los Angeles, CA
“It's Not Just Sushi, It's Something From Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

OK, so maybe you don't believe in a heaven, but that doesn't mean you won't find the sushi at this restaurant ethereal. I swear, we had one beer each and when the Chef's Choice started coming, we couldn't believe our taste buds. The food was indescribably delicious. And while I like sushi, honestly, this wasn't really anything like any sushi that any of us in our party of five had ever tasted before. My wife and I kept looking at each other in disbelief as we ate each small dish.

So, enough mystery. Here's how this place works. First, be sure to go to the correct address as they recently moved and there seems to be another branch in Beverly Hills. The venue we went to was in West Los Angeles on Wilshire Blvd., not far from the Santa Monica border. The decor is not fancy at all. I don't even remember a menu. You just go with the Chef's Choice. Unfortunately, this option is VERY expensive, $70/person (our bill for five was, gasp, $485 with drinks and tip), but, and I hate to say this because I'm a complete cheapskate, it was WORTH IT!

Anyway, the waiters start bringing one small dish of sushi after the next. Each one has 2-4 pieces and the only instruction one gets is whether or not a particular piece of sushi should or shouldn't have soy sauce added before one eats it. And the dishes keep coming. There must have been 20 of them or something like that. Thankfully, once you order the Chef's Choice, you have no more decisions to make, you just keep eating, tasting this incredible beyond-sushi food in a state of bliss. Of course, at near $100 per person, this is not an everyday meal. It's really for life celebrations, such as winning the Super Bowl or the Masters or something like that.

Next time you score such a victory, you can say with great anticipation "I'm going to Sushi Sasabune."

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
lndian Wells, CA
“spectacular Sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

When you believe you've had the best sushi... drop by Sasabune on Wilshire blvd. (Check new address) 11917 wilshire. Chef Nobi has spent most of his life buying, and preparing fish for the Sushi lovers of the world. Chef's choice is his specialty. Each and every bite awakens your taste buds and alerts you to a fantastic voyage that increase your pallet bit by bit.
Don't miss this opportunity to try it for yourself and become a Sasabune follower. Just writing this my mouth is salivating. Bon Appetite

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Redondo Beach, California
“OMG! Great sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I ate lunch at Sasabune on Monday, 13 May 2013. We had the Japanese Omakase and it was amazing! While I've loved sushi for many years, this had to be the freshest, most glorious I've ever had. It had the ONLY sea urchin I've ever enjoyed - a quick blast of a breezy day at the ocean. Everything was delicious.
Far from cheap, but good sushi is never cheap. And well worth it.
The atmosphere was modern coffee shop, again, not unusual for sushi.
Service was very good.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles
“Sasabune Has Gone Bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have been going to Sasabune for many years & always considered it one of the best. But last night I was shocked at how this place has fallen. We always get the chef's choice set & usually love it. But the first dish comes out ( albacore in some type of sauce) & it is fresh out of the refrigerator. You can tell because the plate is ice cold. Well this just was not fresh. Next the tuna which is usually the best of the night was just awful. I was really shocked. let me just say that for $180. for 2 two people ( no alcohol) I hope everything is great. Not even close.
Then this is really what did it for me, when we left the older Japanese sushi chef could not even bring himself to say goodbye or say thank you to us. The place was half empty , he saw us leaving & he just looks the other way to avoid being nice. That will be my last visit here. The new place in Los Angeles for sushi is Sushi Park on Sunset in Hollywood. They are what Sasabune was once. Sasabune RIP

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere