“Great place even if I ordered badly.....” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Vegan, Vegetarian, Californian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3rd street
Transit: One block north of the Pershing Square stop on the Red Line.
Description: Blue Cow is an upscale, full-service New-American restaurant serving innovative sandwiches, seasonal cocktails, craft beers, small plates and entrees that showcase local farming and artisan products, inspired by taking the approachable and giving it a modern interpretation.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great place even if I ordered badly.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Spent an evening here with family, menu is limited. Food good quality and staff very attentive.

Steak frites my meal a bit disappointing but my 3 daughters raved about their food so I guess I ordered the wrong dish!

Lovely warm people with a great welcome, I'd go again.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Indonesian first
Long Beach, California, United States
“Great Flavors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

While looking for a new place to go for dinner before the theater, I found Blue Cow Kitchen while doing a search. The place has only been open for perhaps two months, but the food and service was on par with established eateries. I saw it was a gastropub and made the choice to reserve a table. Gastopubs are great for taking simple fare and kicking it up a notch.

With four of us dining, we started with the cocktails - two of us had their rum manhattan and two of us had the Jack & Coke's Cousin on the side made with their own homemade winter cola (which required a little wait to prepare). There were raves for the almost nutty flavor of the Manhattan and the "Jack & Coke" was so tasty and fresh, it would be easy to down it.

We tried the Root Chips'n Dips served with a light sour cream onion whip (delish), the Sweet & Salty which included chili-roasted pecan, walnuts and almonds with sweet caramel popcorn. And the most amazing appetizer item was the BBQ's Brassicas which are char-grilled broccoli and cauliflower with spices smoked in a brown paper bag and served with dipping sauces (which weren't really needed as the vegetables alone were amazing)!

The entrees for us were the Burger, A Cuban marries a Madame (think Cuban sandwich with an egg on top), the French Dip (made with short rib meat) and the Blue Cow's Mendo Steak Sandwich. While eating, all four of us were silent with exception to the moans of approval.

After all that, dessert was out of the question....this time. Aside from the great food (using meat and produce raised locally), the service we had was attentive and our server, Ashley, was very helpful in explaining their menu items. We will definitely be looking forward to another visit to the Blue Cow.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Fantastic Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is a really fun place to go. It's a sandwich shop really, with a full bar. Their prices are reasonable and their food is great, but what sets them apart is the service.

When I made the reservation I was warmly received over the phone, and got an email confirmation. When I had to change it an hour later to add one, again, it was as if the woman helping me was happy to help me again and accommodated the change with a smile in her voice. When we got there, wWe were greeted as if we were special guests by the hostess. The guy who brought us to our table was extremely cordial and even came back later to see how our dinner was. The server was absolutely a gem. She seemed to be very happy we were there. All in all, this is a GREAT little place for a casual dinner. We felt like family on our first visit.

They did have a couple of "dinner" type items, but the menu is strongly snacks and sandwiches.

• Visited April 2012