“Awesome vintage style hotel, but lacking amenities” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Palihotel

You added Palihotel to your Saves list
Palihotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7950 Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90046 (Central L.A)   |
Ranked #93 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Boston, MA
“Awesome vintage style hotel, but lacking amenities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The minute my beau and I pulled up to this rustic-wood paneled, vintage light bulb signed hotel, I adored it. Walked in around 10:30pm on a Saturday and was greeted with music that made me want to dance. The lobby was surprisingly quiet for a Saturday night, but I loved every detail and the vintage feel of the space. Very industrial and a great attention to detail (artwork, flowers, old book piles). Unfortunately, I'm someone that "stays" with my eyes first.

The room was styled just the same - minimalist, industrial vintage. My boyfriend and I kept commenting that we felt like we were in an episode of Boardwalk Empire. Then we slept... and that sentiment became too real. We woke up sweating in the middle of the night - it was SO HOT. And much to our dismay, there was no AC or thermostat. We had to get the front desk to turn the air on in our room and even then, it was no help. It turned into a pretty sleepless night. There was also no iron/ironing board in the room (again, the front desk had to send one up). The shower was also very oddly positioned and you had to crouch to one side of the tub to get under it.

Palihotel get's a great rating for decor, but comfortablility was compromised due to limited amenities. If they could step these up, I'd move it up to 4 stars for sure.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and have a nice balcony, but make sure you ask the front desk to turn the air...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear EastCoastQueen,

Thanks for your review of Palihotel! We are happy to hear you loved the ‘detail’ and vintage feel of the space.

We are however sorry to hear that the temperature in the room gave you a sleepless night! For future reference we do offer portable fans / heaters for guests that are not comfortable with the set AC temperature. I’m also sorry to hear about the shower – this is the first we have heard about this issue so will certainly be checking all of the showers and making sure the shower faucet hasn’t been bumped-off center!

Palihotel was created to have a 'European Inn' sensibility offering everything you need and nothing you don’t. All basic amenities (and more!) are available by contacting the front desk.

We do sincerely hope to welcome you back sometime soon!

Palihotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The Palihotel style is a combination of vintage and boutique. I loved the style of this hotel. The size was great; the atmosphere calming. Returning to a great bed and a darken room at night was relaxing.It will get even better when they add a cafe to the property. The location is great for both West Hollywood and Hollywood areas. I booked through bookings.com. The front desk gave excellent service; never rushed. We had a complication with returning our rental car and they were very accommodating. The rates were a higher than I normally could afford but I hope to return there on my next trip to LA.

Room Tip: My room was on the first floor in the back. This was good as Melrose Ave. traffic can be loud. Plus...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hi kmhumphries

Thanks for your 4-star review! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay at Palihotel and loved the style!

We also wanted to let you know we are announcing the opening of our new restaurant, which will replace ‘palikitchen’ and will be called The Hart and the Hunter. The Hart and the Hunter will be full-service breakfast, lunch and dinner and be open end of September…

We sincerely hope to welcome you back soon!

San Carlos, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My best friend and I checked into a two twin room here a couple weekends ago and everything about this hotel was perfect for us. The guy at the front desk was super courteous and made check-in a breeze. Parking in the garage underneath was included in our room rate and we took advantage of it that afternoon but by the time we came back from our night out, by around 1am, the garage was full. We had to park a long block away and dragging our bags that far the next morning wasn't too fun.

Our room was on the second floor with windows facing another room. I didn't find this particularly important since we weren't spending much time in the room and the windows still let in plenty of natural light. I loved the vibe of the rooms with their modern yet plush decor. It's sort of modern rustic if that exists.

Also, I have to mention that the beds and pillows were sublime and the room was super quiet! I had the best night of sleep of my life that night!

Overall it was a great deal in a perfect location. We visited Venice beach, Santa Monica and the Grove and this hotel made those perfectly convenient.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Photoguide,

Thanks for your lovely 4-star review of Palihotel! We are really glad you enjoyed your stay and your girls weekend in LA and hope to have you stay with us sometime again soon!

Las Vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Bookings.com had a great deal so I bought it, 2 nites lodging at The Hip Palihotel for $369.00 My room details confirmation said a view of Hollywood Hills or Melrose Ave. We arrive and the front desk guy is awesome- we get to our room and it is so hot and a view of the alley, I go ask to be moved they accomodate me- we then are given a room on the 2nd floor now a view of the room across the little patio area- looking into another room. I show front desk clerk my reservation- I cannot cancel now I am locked in I call Bookings .com and waste over 2 hours moving rooms and on the phone- they move me to another room where I have a slight view of the top of a palm tree- and out the bathroom window if you stand in the tub and stick your head out the window I see a mountain..I cannot be in confined spaces the windows are glazed out on the bottom and only top row is clear, there is no controlled thermostat in your room you have to call the front desk- on your cell no phones in room- or go down and ask them to adjust temperature.So what if you like it cold and other guests on your floor dont??
Finally Bookings.com called hotel and I was again shown a room on the first floor that faces Melrose after all this time- I saw the room and now realize why they have earplugs in all the rooms- you are literally 4 feet from Melrose- very noisy. I said I was staying in the room that looked at the tree, it was quieter and I was tired of dragging my kid around.The walls are paper thin take advantage of the earplugs, the hotel is great decore and the staff is super helpfull. Beds are comfy and the shower heads are powerful. Just beware of the no Thermostat , no phones in room and you will hear many conversations- not by choice.Parking is $20.00 nite if you dont nab a street spot- location is fantastic as is the Staff. Next visit to L.A. will be elsewhere.

Room Tip: Really know what your room faces--ear plugs or not.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Ms.Gronau,

Thank you for your posting. We are thrilled to hear our staff is fantastic. We think so too, but it means the most to us coming directly from guests. We will make sure to pass on the good cheer to our team.

We are also pleased to hear our location is well received. As you know, Palihotel is the first boutique hotel on Los Angeles' famed Melrose Avenue. It is close to the entertainment studios, businesses, shopping, and all the fun of the city's major attractions. We are happy to hear you enjoyed it.

We're glad to see you were privy to the excellent discount we recently offered. Please note we take pride in how we describe our property, and it's features – regardless of rate. We are sorry you did not receive the view you anticipated, and we've contacted the third party website you used in order to ensure their copy is accurate.

We would love another chance to have you back so we may exceed your expectations. For the best rates, we encourage you to book directly through our website or by calling reservations directly at 323 272 4588. This will also avoid any misconceptions about who we are or what our product offers.

Palihotel is a unique boutique property for those who thrive on fun, comfortable and unique neighborhood experiences. Our accommodationsoffer everything you need and nothing you don't!

We pride ourselves on our incredibly comfortable custom-beds, luxury linens, awesome HD TV's, moody rooms - where you can sleep all day, delicious Dean and Deluca stocked mini-bars, on-site Thai-massage, Vanity blow-dry bar, as well as our friendly, accommodating staff.

We wish you all the best in your travels. Please call or email us anytime.

Warm regards,

Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I got a Groupon to stay here for our anniversary (with our 7 year old in tow). It was still more than I would normally spend on a hotel but we wanted to do the Hollywood thing and the Groupon was perfect. Our room was ground-level Melrose with a window view of Agent Provocateur, Johnny Cupcakes, Tarina Tarantino :). Surprisingly, it was extremely quiet at night and the room has this AWESOME blackout blind like I've never seen! The room is simple and painted a fun dark teal with an accenting cork-covered wall. Best of all, there is absolutely NO scent of cigarettes or virtually anything! Pristinely clean! There is no phone, no clock, and my only actual "complaint" is that there is no place to set anything in the bathroom, so the back of the toilet is about all you've got for setting your "stuff" when you want to shower and dress. There is a very hip couch in the room that miraculously turns into a bed where our son slept. The AC was on pretty much all night so it was even a little bit chilly on this HOT summer day. Sean at the front desk was perfectly helpful in all ways. There is a FABULOUS little Italian place next door...food is served "bar style" but is presented very elegantly...I had the Tuna Tartar. YUM. So, would I come back to the Palihotel? I probably won't have the need again anytime soon. Would I recommend it? Absolutely. I think it would be perfect for a young couple wanting to get away from it all. Maybe they could take a walk across the street and get something fun! ;)

Room Tip: I didn't get a chance to see the upstairs rooms with the little balcony, but the ground-floor ro...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear ClawMarks,

Thank you for your 4-star review! We are thrilled you enjoyed the room and your anniversary at Palihotel. We are looking into your request for an extra shelf in the bathroom – there is a cupboard under the sink where you can place items but we do think this is a great addition.

We also wanted to let you know that we are announcing the opening of our new restaurant at Palihotel, which will be called The Hart and the Hunter. The Hart and the Hunter will be full-service breakfast, lunch and dinner and be open end of September.

ClawMarks - we really do hope you find the need to come back and stay with us again soon!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Palihotel, and really enjoyed it. The hotel itself is a small, stylish place off Melrose. It is located in a great location; next to plenty of shops and boutiques. Upon arrival, my boyfriend noticed that the rooms have no phones. Which at first I found odd, but then realized I liked that aspect. It made our stay seem more private. Great
The staff was VERY friendly and helpful. Although my room had a balcony with a great view of an apartment complex...I still really enjoyed my stay. Looking forward to staying here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear K s,

Thanks for your 5-star review - we are thrilled you and your boyfriend enjoyed your experience and we hope to have you stay with us again in the future. Rooms 209, 210 and 219 all have terraces as well and great 'neighborhood' views....keep that in mind for your next trip and we will do our best to accommodate a better view for you.

Additionally, we don't have phones in the rooms as most travelers these days have their own devices to text, call or email front desk (or to make outside calls), but we do have loaner phones for our guests should they need one for their stay.

Hope to see you again soon!

Palihotel
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This hotel reminds me of the Ace Hotel chain, which have have hip decor, gourmet items in the mini-bar, friendly staff, and just make you feel "cool!"

The hotel has a super comfy bed, and is located in a convenient location on Melrose, close to bars,restaurants, etc.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Roselyn D,

Thanks for your great 5-star review! We are glad we made you feel "cool". We are pretty sure you are cool anyway...:-).

We agree the beds are so comfy and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

Hope to have you back again sometime soon!

Palihotel Management

Been to Palihotel? Share your experiences!