“4 Nights, uneasy, yet convenient” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn

Save Saved
You added Americas Best Value Inn to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1123 West Seventh Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #235 of 323 Hotels in Los Angeles
“4 Nights, uneasy, yet convenient”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

First let me say that I've stayed at many hotels and motels over the years, yet the pictures had me fooled. I've stayed at Super 8 a Motel 6 rooms that were much cleaner and far more acceptable. I stayed in room 36, first level "end" room (the narrow room on my right was a housekeeping storage room). The room layout had the feeling of a small studio section 8 apartment. There was dirt and mold/grim along the baseboards and spots all over the walls and ceiling in the bathroom. A lot of mold on ceiling above shower/tub. There was no fan in the bathroom, yet a sliding window in the shower that opened. I only opened the window briefly at night to smoke a blunt and look strait out at downtown while standing on the tub. Other than that, no one should ever open the window on the first floor as it is not safe!! The beds were hard as a rock and everything looked dated and worn. The night stand between the beds looked sticky. I kept getting the feeling that cockroaches or other bugs would crawl on me - but I seen no bugs. The tile flooring didn't turn my feet black, as other claimed. The housekeeping staff were very friendly, understaffed, overworked, and underpaid. My room didn't get serviced until 3pm, but again I don't blame the maid. The pool was locked and no ice machine in sight. This was the worst room I ever rented and it was $99 a night for all 4 nights. The breakfast was nothing more than some cereal and bread to toast. Orange juice and coffee were also served. I walked out very disappointed and went to 7-11. The rooms come with a mini fridge and microwave which I did like. The AC was a very loud ghetto old wall unit with a broken digital display so I could only use the "ON" button, no temp controls! The only really great thing about this motel is that its 2 blocks from downtown; 10 minute walk from the 7th Street Metro Rail station which I used. Still, I always made it a point to return well before dusk as the neighborhood was a little shady walking those 2 blocks over the freeway. I was only "hit up" by one gang member asking me if I gang banged due to my Raiders shirt and low socks. That was the only night I was returning as it got dark, so reality of those 2 blocks set in! I would only recommend this motel to college students on a budget wanting to get out for a night or to construction workers. Oh, one other plus is the large amount of DIRECTV channels but their signal constantly scattered/ pixelated.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room, east building that way you can more safely open your shower window for air
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

The hotel room looked more like a small studio apartment. Door opened on standard bed with TV / dresser, then around the corner was a fridge, microwave, sink and small vanity, and the bathroom opened off from there. A little larger than the usual one room hotel in my experience.

It's a basic, no-frills motel, but the price reflects that. They provide hand soap, shampoo, lotion, and plastic cups. There is no hair dryer, or coffeemaker. However the fridge and microwave both worked and were a nice-to-have.

The room was clean, but had some cosmetic flaws. Paint or molding chipped in places, furniture somewhat the worse for wear. The bedding was clean and I even looked fairly hard for bed bugs (pulling up the mattress and looking along the bottom / by the wall of it and the boxsprings). Didn't see any, and didn't get any bites staying there for 4 nights. Toilet had sanitation seal on it and was clean, as was the tub. Water pressure and heat was great and lasted for a lengthy 20 minute shower.

There were a fairly high number of little bitty house spiders in the corners here and there. They didn't bother me and I didn't bother them - they mostly just chilled in an out of the way corner and didn't move. I'm a little paranoid about spiders, but these were pretty tiny. Smaller than the head of a pin.

The free internet hardly ever worked which was a bit frustrating but expected from the reviews here. I was lucky if I could connect to and check my email with it. I used my tethered phone data plan all 4 nights and except for a couple hours was able to get a quite good signal on both Verizon and AT&T. My tethered Verizon connection ranged from .75mbps to 2mbps down.

I didn't try the breakfast after seeing the reviews here - I had a mini fridge so I just picked up some cereal and milk at the nearby Target.

And that leads to the big draw for this place - location is everything. While other hotels in the area were charging $200+ per night, I booked 4 nights for $60/each. I walked day and night to and from the Los Angeles Convention Center and never felt unsafe - just stick to 7th and Figuoroa, don't take the side street "shortcuts" down to 8th or 9th that Google may tell you to. Those get sketchy quick. 7th and Figuoroa though are well lit and have high pedestrian traffic. I stayed here (a single female) and after the first evening felt completely at ease. Walked back at 11pm one night, and did not feel in danger. There is the occasional homeless person on Fig but they are fairly lowkey. I didn't see any heckling, just polite requests for money.

I was also worried about how it would be after dark but it was surprisingly well-lit - every room has a bright exterior light next to the door and the parking light is lit up quite well. Also all doors are facing inside to the parking lot, so although it's not a hotel with a private or gated entrance, it is somewhat enclosed and apart from general street traffic.

Also the other location perk is there is a Target just a block away at the corner of 7th and Fig. It was great for picking up a few groceries and bringing them back to put in my fridge. It's open till 11pm. (Warning - they only have paper bags - so don't go in the rain.)

All in all - it's not the Ritz. You get what you pay for. But I would definitely stay here again if I were trying to saving some $. I'm willing to cut corners on accommodations as long as my basic needs are met and I don't feel in personal danger. This met those criteria very nicely.

So in a nutshell: If you need to save $, just need a place to crash that's convenient to downtown on foot but safe, and don't need their wifi, this place is worth a look.

Room Tip: Rm 34 was spacious, well-lit exterior and was clean / everything functioned as expected. Corner room...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Fresno, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Do not expect a 5 star experiance. You get what you pay for here, a room, and thats it. No coffee maker, no continetial brakefast, shampoo but no conditioner. The room appeeared clean. Furniture is old and outdated. Again, this is not a place for a 5 star experiance. Staff was nice and helpful. Stayed a night for a concert and the location for venues such as the Staples center and Club Nokia is great, they are less than a mile away. Plenty of resturants close by from Denny's and iHop to Fat Burger and nicer steakhouses. Keep in mind it is not on the best side of town and you will hear sirens all night long.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Photos online make the place look good but once you walk in the room its cramped, dirty and it smells like sewer. Floor were so dirty it was unbelievable. On the last night we saw a roach coming out from what looked like a closet. the breackfast was terrible. They had stale cereal bagels. I would never ever go back there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

its need more works, more services for the rooms, more staff, more parking lots, more WiFi technology, more better labels for the rooms, better televisions technology, more sounds isolation for the rooms, Thank You

Room Tip: You must need low performance and low service quality
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is a standard America's Best Value Inn, where they've gone in and made some minor refurbs to an older motel. It's an amazing deal for the location, and one of the better value hotels in or near downtown. Better neighborhood than most; it's on the other side of downtown from Skid Row. The good: very cheap, walkable to downtown, the subway, and Staples. The bad: wifi is spotty at best, TV didn't have ESPN (?), breakfast is lackadaisical, hotel makes you pay at the beginning of your stay (ask to see the room first), and the property is older. But really, for paying $70 in downtown LA, you can't beat it.

Also, be warned that this is a motel and NOT a hotel. There's no front entrance, and your door opens to the parking lot.

Room Tip: If you don't want to haul your luggage up a flight of stairs, the first floor is better. But sin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

The front desk clerk was rude. The toilet never flushed properly. When we asked for a plunger the desk clerk gave us a dirty plunger and said to bring it back immediately. Never offering to have it fixed...after 2 days!! The tile floor in the guestroom left our feet black! There was a wide gap between the wall and ac unit which alllowed ants and bugs in! The asian clerk during 2nd (robert)shift MUST be related to the owners. I CANT IMAGINE HOW HE WOULD KEEP HIS JOB OTHOTHERWISE?

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!