“Great service and large rooms!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   550 S Flower St, Los Angeles, CA 90071 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #96 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
Victoria, Canada
“Great service and large rooms!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The Standard is a treat - spacious, comfortable rooms in the middle of downtown LA. The staff is excellent - incredibly accommodating, friendly, and helpful. Special shouts out to Evan, Karim, Jessica, Kate, and Josh at the front desk for making our visits to the Standard so special. The rooftop pool and bar are always fun with beautiful views. Looking foward to the next stay!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I am so happy I sprung the extra cash and stayed here! Very attentive staff. They greeted me with a hello and asked how my stay was whenever they were near. The food is amazing! Room service was prompt and delicious and not overpriced. Valet is a little expensive at $40 a day, but you can come in and out and they are very fast. Oh! The rooftop lounge! It was great to have a place to mix and mingle at night without leaving the hotel. Friday and Saturday (especially) are heavy nights so you might want to "pre-game" in your room. The pool is being remodeled, but the Westin across the street gives access to there's for the time being (not sure when it reopens). To make it a 5 rating, the front desk ladies could be a little friendly-er and less attitude, but hey it's LA.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The hotel was pretty old with narrow and dark corridors. The room was clean but wasnt at the level of a 4 star hotel. The iron was damage and we had to ask for another one. The iron board was old and dirty. There was no soap in the bathroom and wasn't enough towels neither. The TV was installed on a post in a tiny room taking up the circulation space and I hit myself 4 times to the TV .

There were 4 or 5 lifts at the hotel and only one was working. It was so frustrating because we had to wait literally 15 minutes each time to use the lift. No doubt that the lift was full everythime it stopped at our level. All other guests were complaining about this.

The room costed me about $400 and I was even charged extra for minibar food which I didn't even use. This was charged to my credit card after I left.

Don't ever use the vallet parking!! There was a sign at the carpark for $10 flat rate and when I asked the vallet guy whether that's true he said that's only for daytime and if you stay overnight you better go with vallet parking as it will end up cheaper. No doubt that it ended up to be $40+tips and much more expensive than the slef parking. There is an underground self car parking at the hotel.

Overall The hotel was ok if I was paying $150 or so but definitely not $400.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is my favourite hotel in LA. It's chic, stylish, and decidedly mid-century modern without trying too hard.

Unlike other 5-star chain hotels, I find the service here very personal and the staff are relaxed, approachable and professional.

Apart from the rooms, the highlight of the hotel is truly the rooftop. That sprawling pool surrounded by the Los Angeles skyline is to die for. Drinks are reasonably priced and everyone is relaxed and unpretentious.

The hotel is close to everything downtown--everything is within walking distance.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Funky, fun, and modern - the Standard is a great place to stay. Everything from the rooms, to the service (front desk, room service) of the staff and the amazing rooftop bar were impeccable. I stayed here on business and choose this hotel based on the location/availability to my company's office downtown and was pleasantly surprised as this is far from your typical "chain" hotel. Nothing wrong with the chains, but if you're seeking something fun and different, the Standard is great. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Santa Ana, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I like the Standard... I've come here to eat during the day, party at night, and have gotten a room here as well. It's a trendy remodeled hotel and rooftop bar in the middle of Downtown LA, surrounded by buildings, giving you the feeling of being in a big city like New York or Chicago.

Rooftop bar: The Standard rooftop bar is a pretty good size; there's a pool area, various lounge areas complete with waterbeds, about 3 bars, a dancefloor, a beer garden and more. The view is awesome, and the decor is modern and trendy. At night the party is on with a DJ, neon lighting and a projector that beams over to a building across the street.

Hotel: The remodeled hotel is quite trendy and modern. Neon lights and trendy design all over the place. You can tell that it's an old building that's had a facelift. The rooms are nice and trendy. Lowered bed, amenities, city view, cool shower, etc. Hallways are old, remodeled looking.

Downstairs restaurant: I've eaten at the downstairs restaurant a few times. They have a great salmon omelette and modern/trendy presentation that matches the hotel.

Parking: I've parked at the Standard once, but it's a lot cheaper to park in the next door parking lot or in the parking garage across the street. I guess it also depends how long you are staying.

Great spot in Downtown LA. I with there were more rooftop bars in Downtown.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Indio, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I made plans to attend an event at L.A. Live. All of the hotels were booked, but The Standard had rooms available. We made our reservation not knowing anything about the hotel. We were pleasantly surprised when we checked in. The first person that we were greeted by was the valet. The valet was welcoming, and took good care of us in the busy parking lot. We walked through a very nice retro patio with a fire pit to enter the hotel. The lobby was very nice & hip. The manager Evan checked us in. Evan was extremely helpful. He told us about everything there was to do at The Standard, and how to easily get to L.A. live (by taxi or walking). It's $7 for a 10 min cab ride with traffic. Evan also hooked us up with a nice corner room. The rooms are very interesting and retro contemporary. As guests, we also received VIP wristbands for the rooftop lounge. We didn't have to wait in the line outside the hotel to get to the lounge. We just got on the elevator with security & headed straight to the top. The rooftop lounge is super cool and chill. There were several sitting areas (couch areas & bar tables and stools), a DJ, a beer garden with pretzels & brats, beautiful city views, and a ping pong table. There is also a ping pong lounge inside of the hotel. My husband and I are in our 40's & thought that I was going to feel old, but there were people of all ages enjoying the nightlife. This is a hipster's paradise, and if you grew up in the 70's it will bring back memories. There's also a barber shop in the hotel that gives haircuts and trims beards. After our stay & great experience, we actually cancelled our reservation at another local very nice hotel to stay at The Standard for another upcoming event. We are looking forward to staying at this trendy hotel again.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to The Standard Downtown LA? Share your experiences!