“Fun and funky” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #106 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Fun and funky”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

This place was funky, fun, hip and happening and it was fun for a day to pretend I was all those things (although the truth us that I am not). Eating sliders on the rooftop and seeing the amazing view was certainly a great experience and we found the beds very comfortable (my older teenage children slept through their alarm). Probably not the best place for younger families and I was surprised to find no shower cap provided and no extra pillows for the bed (three pillows on a bed for two people so we had to fight over who got the extra pillow). Front desk staff were helpful with a map to find our way to the Staples Centre but maybe this is not a place to suit everyone.

Stayed January 2014
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Wendy,
We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We do offer extra pillows which are in the wardrobe but should you need anything when you are staying with us again, please contact housekeeping and they will bring you everything you need!
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Standard, Downtown L.A.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Korean first
Northville, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Wow. This hotel was so hip it bordered on bizarre,. The room had a carpeted platform with two mattresses on it instead of beds. No box springs, no frame - just lumpy mattresses on the carpet. No furniture in the room whatsoever except for one plastic chair.

The room had no coffee maker ... but it did have a $130 bottle of Belvedere vodka available in the minibar in case I wanted a drink.

We learned on December 31 (the day after we checked in) that this hotel hosts the biggest New Year's Eve party in LA. We realized the sheer magnitude when we returned from dinner and found a line of heavy-duty partiers waiting to get into the hotel that wrapped around the building - and searchlights sweeping the skies from our parking lot.

They didn't mention this fact when we booked our rooms, or when we checked in. They removed all the furniture from the hotel lobby - then set up an enormous DJ stage, lights, searchlights, speakers the size of Greyhound buses - and they blasted incredibly loud music throughout the hotel all night long. Patrons partied in the hallways and in the guest rooms until dawn. The party noise reached its apex at 2:00AM PT, when the DJs screaming announcements to his huge crowd 'get louder" were ringing through every guest room in the place.

We were in town for the Rose Bowl Game - when we left early on Jan 1 for the Rose Parade (5:30AM) the elevators were still filled with young people in various stages of intoxication, riding the elevators up and down for fun. We enjoyed interacting in the elevator at 5:30AM with a couple that was making out for all 8 floors, as well as a young man strung out on crystal meth who kept telling us "not to look at his eyes". All the elevators were full of partiers as we were leaving for Pasadena at 5:30AM --- and they were all still partying from the previous day.

The guest rooms near us had room parties all night, but their noise paled compared to the DJ blasting music and announcements anyway. Sleep was out of the question.

The hotel restaurant was a part of the epic New Year's Eve party from the night before and was utterly trashed, as was the rest of the hotel - all of it.

I really do love to party ... but this was way out of control, and we were very disappointed that the hotel did not warn us or find a way to segregate those is us what were going to attend the bowl game from this insane hotel-wide party.

I lived in a big fraternity house in college - but our most ambitious parties with live bands were calm compared to the Armageddon at The Standard. I thought we trashed our digs in college during parties - but The Standard impressed me as being far worse.

Outside of the insane party, the hotel restaurant was actually very nice - great service and delicious food, and very welcoming. The valets were attentive and helpful. The bathrooms in the gust rooms were weird, but functional - compete with the glass-walled walk-in shower. The hotel has a very cool rooftop bar as well with a salt water swimming pool.

Bottom line - fun place to party. Absolutely terrible place to sleep - the worst possible choice if you want any rest at all. Party here. Then sleep somewhere else.

Room Tip: Pick a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Dave - we're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We did try to make sure everyone was aware of the New Years Eve party that was happening in the hotel and the majority of our guests were attending the event. It was a special occasion and not something that happens all the time! We're glad to hear you enjoyed the restaurant and our new Chef is in the process of launching some exciting new menus!
Thanks for the review!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

The Standard isn't your standard hotel, they go above and beyond. The hotel was very modern, had a 24 hr restaurant, a game room, and a roof top party. It is in a very convenient location and easy to get to from the LAX airport. We just took a fly away bus for $7 each to union station and from there took the metro to 7th st./Metro Station. The hotel is literally 2 blocks away from the station. Being close to the station was great in that we could use the metro and the bus to see Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Rodeo Drive. The hotel also reserved a star line double decker bus to see the the major attractions including Santa Monica beach. Lastly the front desk was super friendly (especially Rod and Jessica). They both took the time in making phone calls, booking us reservations, and giving us their take on the city. My uncle was visiting from overseas and he was very impressed with their hospitality #thestandardrocks

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
It sounds like you had a great time and thank you so much for the review. Please do come and stay with us again the next time you are in Downtown Los Angeles! Happy New Year!
Wallingford, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Really liked the room, as minimalist as it is. While there are no drawers, there's plenty of shelves and closet space in which to put clothes. Think of it as having less places to lose your stuff before checking out. Loved the spacious glass shower. Amazing.Staff was very helpful and professional. The main restaurant was pleasant and the food was excellent. I didn't try Spin upstairs though; I'm antisocial. But I understand it's fun.
Only problem was a corporation across the street decided to share their Christmas party with an entire four block radius. The noise was incredible until 11 PM but, with the help of earplugs thoughtfully provided by the hotel, I was able to sleep. I will certainly return if I have to do business in this area again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Joyce - thanks so much for the review and we're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you're in Downtown Los Angeles and Happy Holidays!
Irvine, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

It was a last minute decision to stay an extra night in LA and move from the W Hotel in Hollywood to The Standard downtown…. TERRIBLE decision to make the move. My room was on the 3rd floor directly above the ping pong lounge or whatever. The music was so loud, my room was rattling and I couldn’t hear the TV. I called the front desk to complain and apparently it was my fault that I got a room on the 3rd floor. They “recommend you don’t stay on the 3rd or 12th floor because they are loud.” I didn’t book a hotel room to listen to my neighbors; I booked a room to sleep.

I couldn’t take it any longer and decided to go out for the night; after all I had top 40 hits rattling my cold concrete box of a room. I sat at the valet for 5-10 minutes with no service or anyone to take my car when I pulled back in after my night out. Parked it myself, then went to the front desk to see what the deal was. I was greeted by a rude/ arrogant front desk clerk who took with my keys and offered no condolences for the inconvenience.

The following morning I went down to speak with a manager. The front desk manager, Stephanie S. was very nice and professional. This was the first time someone tried to make things right. They ended up giving me a 25% discount on the room and took care of the movies I ordered (to mask the sound of the club below me). Pretty poor remedy to a terrible night’s stay/ terrible customer service. 25% isn't worth the Starwood points I lost by switching hotels.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Travis - we're sorry to hear that your stay with us was disturbed by the event taking place in our ping-pong club SPiN. I have also left a message on your Yelp review but please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss this further.
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

If you're looking for a swanky downtown venue with views - this is it! The top floor roof-top terrace bar has a swimming pool and futuristic-like "POD" seating. Makes you feel (almost) like you're in New York city!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thanks for the great review Rebecca and we hope we can welcome you back the next time you're in Los Angeles!
San Juan Capistrano, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Not good. If you never stayed in a nice hotel, you will be unimpressed. From the time you pull in the driveway/ lot, lobby is small, dark, and cheap. I don't see how anybody would be impressed. This is an old building with cheap fixtures and decorations. The staff was nice. Supposedly, I was given an upgrade. I can't imagine what the basic room looks like. The hallway way is dull, and creepy. The room looks like they had forgot to put any furniture in it. The mattress was on a raised carpeted structure with no box spring. There was one plastic (patio) chair in the room. Absolutely no art or decorations. No table. The tile in the bathroom looked like it had been there since the sixties. The bathroom had one small sink with no running cold water. The hot was very hot. Only two bath towels and two hand towels. I felt like I was in a hospital room or on a military base. Boring! Please do yourself a favor and book elsewhere. At very least, ask to see the room before you lay down the card. It wasn't even ok.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and stay somewhere else. Please!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Hi Bob and thanks for taking the time to write a review. Our design is of a minimal nature so I understand that this wasn't to your liking. Please do let us know during your stay if you experience any issues with the plumbing so our engineering team can see to it straight away. Our housekeeping department would always be happy to offer extra towels upon request. We're sorry to hear that your stay with us wasn't what you had hoped for. Please do contact me directly should you wish to return and I'd be happy to take care of your request myself.

Been to The Standard Downtown LA? Share your experiences!