“SPiN-ing Rooftops!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #106 of 322 hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
“SPiN-ing Rooftops!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Trying to find a decent place to celebrate a birthday in LA is hard task but someone's got to do it. I spent time researching places to celebrate my friend's birthday but found through UrbanDaddy regarding SPiN. I remembered watching Project Runway and I was really thrilled that they opened one at the Standard.

I actually wanted to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so based on my research and phone calls to the awesome people at the Standard; my friends and I decided to go to SPiN first and then if we had time go up to the Rooftop.

Standard's website was really easy to navigate. I contacted the information on the Website for SPiN and the Rooftop/Standard. It brought me to Emily and Nicole.

SPiN: Emily is the Maitre'D of SPiN and she helped me with making reservations. She was really nice even if we were late about 30 minutes. I had the reservations for 2 hours but only ended up using 1 hour of playing Ping Pong. I think 1 hour was enough since most of my friends were ready to leave and 2 of them were playing Billiards downstairs in the lobby. The price of drinks was reasonable and our Ping Pong balls were replenished every time we ran out (which was pretty quick since we all were bad at it).

Lobby of Standard:The Lobby was very modern. For some reason, it felt like a playground for young adults. There was a billiard table, a ping pong table, and foosball table. I wonder if they had a air hockey table I would’ve loved that!

Rooftop: Nicole from reservations was very helpful. She was very informative regarding the Rooftop and especially provided more information than was needed esp. about the pool parties during the summer weekends (must go next time :D). Unfortunately, the hotel doesn’t provide reservations for tables or what not but the promoters do. In addition, unlike some other establishments there is a $20 cover for the whole night. Pfft. why not change it where you can get it in for free before 10:30? I guess I can’t complain since I did get in for free since we came so late. The music was good and the crowd was good. It’s downtown and not a major Hollywood crowd, but still has the LA Vibe. The highlight of the night was the Hershey kisses waterbeds next to the pool. Could sleep in that all day!

Overall would come back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thanks for the terrific review and our team will be delighted that you were so happy with the service you received. Do come back again soon and enjoy one of our fantastic pool parties!

777 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was with a few friends on Saturday night and we hit up the Standard. The line to the roof top bar was a bit long so we played ping pong at Spin before going upstairs. Spin is very nice, I've never played cosmic ping pong before and didn't realize it was so fun. They also had some good beer on tap too. After a while we made our way up to the bar, it's a great place to hang out on a summer night. The pool looks amazing even though no swimming is allowed. The waterbeds are very fun to say the least. I think this is the only place in DTLA that charges cover, but I think it's definitely worth it and I'll be back again one of these days.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Reggie and thanks for the review.
Firstly, we delighted to hear that you had such a good time at the hotel and got to experience SPiN - our awesome ping-pong club!
The night you came, we had just finished having our pool resurfaced and so we had to wait until it was safe for our guests to swim in. We absolutely encourage people to swim in it, so next time you visit, jump on in!
Finally, we don't always charge a cover - sometimes we have promoters hosting events on the roof - but otherwise there is no charge to get to the roof.
Come back again soon Reggie!
la
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The standard rooftop lounge/bar has amazing drinks, good music, and an cool crowd. The bartenders were friendly and definitely took care of us. Although I did not stay at the hotel, the bar/lounge is a great place to hang out with friends. We went on a Wednesday night and there was still a good crowd.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thanks so much for the great review! We're really glad you enjoyed your experience with us - hopefully next time you can make a night of it with a stay!
Hudson, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I'm not a huge fan of the low beds and spartan furnishings but the room was clean and in my case quiet. I enjoyed the roof top bar too. Staff was friendly and helpful. Walking distance to Staples Center and LA convention center. And thank you management for clearing up a parking charge ! Much appreciated.

Room Tip: rooms not below the dance floor (top floor roof)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you so much for the review and we're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Portland, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Spartan futuristic rooms in a 60's style hotel. No pictures anywhere in fhe room made it feel small eventhough there is a huge glass seethrough wall that divides theshower and main room. It is an exhibitionists dream. There is a mattress on a raised floor platform. The mattress was either old or low quality. The standard tries to be different bug it was different for the wrong reasons. Quality would be the right standard rather than wierd. Very spendy for what it is.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for the review and I'm sorry to hear that our minimalist decor wasn't to your taste. Our rooms start at 300 sq ft and go up to over 1000 sq ft and offer lots of space for our guests. Next time you stay, please feel free to contact us directly and we can help direct you to a room category that will offer you a more spacious feel.
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

My stay at The Standard couldnt have been better. The staff is amazing and friendly and the restaurants are great. The room is very stark - platform bed and a cool, minimal counter/desk combo. The only thing I found strange is that the wall between the bathroom and bedroom is glass. And I found the biergarten on the roof totally cheesy - but I would go back. Great value for the room. And a good location if you have to be downtown or Vernon area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Standard, Downtown L.A and we're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Next time, don't forget to check out SPiN, our fun ping-pong club!
Bridgend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed at The Standard, Downtown L.A and we had a terrific time. From the amazing staff who couldn't do enough to help and tell us what to see, to the spacious rooms and terrific food in the restaurant, the whole place was fantastic.
Whilst the pool area is 'the' place to be seen, I loved the Biergarten - a quieter, calmer area of the roof. we also had fun at the ping-pong club called Spin.
Downtown LA is a great place to stay as well - you can walk around with ease and the subway provides cheap transportation without having to stress about L.A traffic. Lots of great bars and restaurants too.
Can't wait to go back the next time I'm in Los Angeles.

Room Tip: Great place to be and the subway system is cheap & under used and a great way to get around LA.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you so much for the review - we're thrilled to hear you had such a good stay with us. DTLA is such a great part of this city and well worth exploring. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Been to The Standard Downtown LA? Share your experiences!