Trying to find a decent place to celebrate a birthday in LA is hard task but someone's got to do it. I spent time researching places to celebrate my friend's birthday but found through UrbanDaddy regarding SPiN. I remembered watching Project Runway and I was really thrilled that they opened one at the Standard.
I actually wanted to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so based on my research and phone calls to the awesome people at the Standard; my friends and I decided to go to SPiN first and then if we had time go up to the Rooftop.
Standard's website was really easy to navigate. I contacted the information on the Website for SPiN and the Rooftop/Standard. It brought me to Emily and Nicole.
SPiN: Emily is the Maitre'D of SPiN and she helped me with making reservations. She was really nice even if we were late about 30 minutes. I had the reservations for 2 hours but only ended up using 1 hour of playing Ping Pong. I think 1 hour was enough since most of my friends were ready to leave and 2 of them were playing Billiards downstairs in the lobby. The price of drinks was reasonable and our Ping Pong balls were replenished every time we ran out (which was pretty quick since we all were bad at it).
Lobby of Standard:The Lobby was very modern. For some reason, it felt like a playground for young adults. There was a billiard table, a ping pong table, and foosball table. I wonder if they had a air hockey table I would’ve loved that!
Rooftop: Nicole from reservations was very helpful. She was very informative regarding the Rooftop and especially provided more information than was needed esp. about the pool parties during the summer weekends (must go next time :D). Unfortunately, the hotel doesn’t provide reservations for tables or what not but the promoters do. In addition, unlike some other establishments there is a $20 cover for the whole night. Pfft. why not change it where you can get it in for free before 10:30? I guess I can’t complain since I did get in for free since we came so late. The music was good and the crowd was good. It’s downtown and not a major Hollywood crowd, but still has the LA Vibe. The highlight of the night was the Hershey kisses waterbeds next to the pool. Could sleep in that all day!
Overall would come back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A downtown Los Angeles, California luxury boutique hotel located near the LA Convention Center. This business hotel features 207 guest rooms & suites, event space, rooftop bar and Biergarten, 24 hour restaurant & rooftop pool. The newest addition to the hotel is SPiN - a ping-pong club founded by Susan Sarandon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Splendia, Cheap Tickets, Tablet Hotels, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, BookingOdigeoWL, MrandMrsSmith, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Tingo, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your The Standard Downtown LA reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Standard Downtown La Hotel Los Angeles
- Standard Hotel Los Angeles
- Standard Downtown La Los Angeles
- Standard Hotel La
- Standard Downtown La Hotel