“Cool, but not my taste” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
Stay 3 nts, get 10% off!
Ranked #107 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
New York City, New York
“Cool, but not my taste”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Standard is clearly catering to 20-somethings who crave nightlife and haven't quite moved into adulthood. That used to be me, but it ain't anymore. I was actually with my younger brother, and he absolutely LOVED the place. SO, it really depends on your style and where you are in life. The hotel is an old office building, and you can definitely tell. The bathrooms are designed to look like old public bathrooms in offices. Interesting, but who wants to shower in an old public bathroom?! Also, the beds are basically on the floor, like they might be in a recent college grad's apartment. Again, I get it, but I don't sleep on the floor, anymore. Lots of bars, a ping pong club, and even a barbershop, if you're interested. The gym is very cool. It's small, but it's designed to look like a country club lounge from the 50s, or something like that. That's more my speed. At the restaurant, my vegetarian sausage and scrambled eggs were covered in bacon from the griddle. Definitely not what I wanted. That was pretty disappointing. Had to stop eating it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
James P, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
I'm so sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than 100%. I understand that our design aesthetic is not for everyone but I'm glad that your brother loved the hotel and that you both enjoyed our gym!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Korean first
Plainsboro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The hotel itself is trendy and cool. Well decorated. The pool is gorgeous, waterbeds are fun, the music could be way better but I understand the feel they are trying to give for everyone and not a club atmosphere, views are breathtaking. Food is pretty good as well. My only complaint is that the rooms are very basic. The bed felt firm at first but ended up being cozy. The bathroom was modern but the curtains were kind of stained and mildew stained caulking. When I first walked into my room I was disappointed but it grew on me. I really liked the rooftop, the orange pool lounge are, the pool, and the ping pong tables are a very nice cool touch. However all of those are free to the public including the pool. I think the rooms were overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed May 2013
JanHenningsen, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thanks for reviewing us Jessica and we're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our design is very minimalism and modern and we offer complimentary wifi throughout the hotel for our guests. Perhaps next time you can visit, SPiN, which is our awesome ping-pong club! Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back soon!

James Palmer
Oamaru, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Our accomodation was funky and clean. The staff at reception were very nice and hospitable. The bar tender(female) up in the table tennis bar upstairs exceeded our expectations. The bar staff in the biergarten were very nice,chatty and downtoearth however I felt that the barstaff near the pool were abit snobby. Maybe you need to be wearing a suit before you are treated with a bit more respect I'm not sure. But overall a very nice hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JanHenningsen, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Pat - thank you very much for you review and we'll pass your kind words on to the staff! Our priority is guest experience and great service so I'm happy to hear this is what you experienced. Make sure you come back and we'll have something cold on ice waiting for you!

James Palmer
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at the Standard for 2 nights on a recent business trip to downtown LA. After having stayed at Westin, Omni and the Hilton Checkers, I would rate this one better than Omni and Westin and slightly below Hilton.
pros: Very nice staff/very helpful. Free Wifi in rooms. Great bar to hang out and have a beer after a long day. 24 hour café is good as well. HUGE rooms. great beds. nice bathrooms (very serviceable with decent showers). Well located with plenty of restaurants etc.
Cons: kind of noisy. Lots of street/traffic noise (even though I asked for a quiet room) and some neighbor noise (party hotel maybe?).

If the checkers is busy then Standard Hotel works.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
JanHenningsen, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for deciding to stay with us and I'm glad to hear our service was everything we aim it to be. We offer free wifi in all our rooms and are proud of the spacious accommodations our guests can enjoy. Sorry to hear it was a bit noisy though - we do provide earplugs as we know that the traffic can keep some guests awake and we'll make sure to provide you with some upon check-in when you stay with us again.
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel has a nice look and feel but upon closer inspection it did not meet my expectations. The open concept bathroom is nice to look at from a distance. Dated deco design in bedrooms also left a lot to be desired.

Overall the Hotel room was fairly clean. I did have a strange odor coming from the sink but since I was only staying for a day I simply left the stopper closed to prevent the smell from spreading.

I attended a conference in LA and I often stay at the Westin down the road. The Standard hotel was not comparable. It does have good entertainment and nice pool area but I prefer the Westin.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sorry to hear that you weren't entirely satisfied with your stay with us. We are extremely different to The Westin brand though so I can understand that if that is your favored brand, we might not be your cup of tea! I'm happy you enjoyed our pool and perhaps next time you can try SPiN - our fun ping-pong club.
Santa Fe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Aside of terrific line staff, leadership must be lacking. One day, no one even came and cleaned the room. The showers were more a spray than a shower. Paint needed and general fixing up. Ended up going to the Primo Caffe for breakfast...great food and value...just a block away.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
JanHenningsen, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
We're sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us as much as you could have. Our team here pride themselves on great service so I am happy you experienced that first hand. Due to extremely high occupancy it can be tricky for us to give the rooms that lick of paint needed at times but this is something we are constantly busy working on!
Carol Stream, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This hotel is fun and I love when they remake a hotel in an interesting building. This one is a former bank and business building.

One in your room, you need to get past the fact that everything is a bit different than your typical hotel room. Hard to describe but think hip, cool, modern.

Only complaint is the level of the beds are a bit too low to the floor and was a bit annoying Other comment, one chair for seating (and plastic) is really not enough. If anybody else came in to visit, there is simply NO place to sit. Trying to sit on a bed is really awkward.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
JanHenningsen, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Hi Craig - thanks for the review and we love that you enjoyed your stay and our minimal design so much. It's a good point about having somewhere for guests to sit so we are putting more chairs in some of our rooms. We hope you come back again soon!

Been to The Standard Downtown LA? Share your experiences!