“no complaints whatsoever” 4 of 5 stars

New York City, New York
“no complaints whatsoever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

not sure what room type i had, but i was in room 910

pros:
- high ceilings, massive room
- kinda liked the buzzy atmosphere (though it was clearly a tourist / unfamiliar crowd)
- good price
- great location if you need to be downtown (trip to airport was only 30-40 minutes in rush hour)
- host of shop & restaurants in the area

cons:
- place has seen better days ... comon areas look especially worn
- woudl have been really umcomfortable if i was there with my another person (even my significant other) b/c there was no door on the bathroom (nor shower curtain) and the wall was made of glass ... you even have to close the blinds to shower

overall a solid 4-star, but hotel needs upgrades, but i coudl overlook that given size of the room & price

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

780 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The experience was overshadowed by an unsanitary condition. Someone had cleared their throat deeply on the cold water faucet knob. Someone with a very bad cold. It was dried and caked on the faucet knob. I only noticed it after I had been using the faucet for quite some time. Really disgusting. Tried my best not to use the cold water knob but cringed every time I forgot. Yuck.
I stayed 2 nights and it was still there on the second day. Cleaning is clearly not top priority there.

That was the greatest impression of my stay. Other comments:

- bare bones, no frills room but functional and adequate.
- I didn't take advantage but the hotel seems to have many draws- beer garden, party place attended by local young people, exercise room, ping pong...
- music/party noise can be heard when trying to sleep but it didn't keep me from sleeping.
- This is like an old office building converted to a hotel. Elevator in very beat up shape. Not much of a lobby. Anyone can walk off the street and take the elevator straight up to access the rooms without passing any hotel employee. I didn't experience any issues but could see it could become one any time.
- most places Leave the bill under your door so you don't have to check out. Not here.

Other than the disgusting faucet it's not a bad place. If you can take advantage of the club and party place it would be a fun place.

• Stayed December 2012
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed for just one night.

Upsides: Fun, modern decor; the rooftop pool is (lightly) heated; the restaurant in the lobby is pretty good (the black gnocchi with shrimp dish was truly excellent); staff is generally helpful, rooftop pool/bar area is gorgeous & sexy, & our corner room on the 11th floor was great.

Downsides: This hotel caters to people who love to party. It can get quite loud & raucous. We had the unfortunate luck to be stuck in the room right next door to 20 loud kids who were crazy drunk & super loud at 3 a,m. We had to call security twice before it quieted down.

Would definitely stay here again, though. It's in easy walking distance to so much great stuff. Like the steak house on the top floor of the Bonaventure Hotel (believe it's called Prime L.A.--pricey, but so cozy & lovely, with views that as expected are to die for). This hotel is best suited for younger people looking for a cool hipster/sexy/lounge-y vibe.

Room Tip: Room 1103 is a corner suite on the 11th floor, just a few steps away from the elevator to the roofto...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Very trendy hotel - liked the hotel lobby especially with the ping pong tables (although everyone seemed to be hogging them - not sure how to book or get onto a table). The check-in desk person was very helpful and the room was pretty nice. We liked the deco and the room arrangement. However, not so sure about the see-through shower.

The restaurant was great - we had a great dinner. The menu is different throughout the day and the restaurant opens 24 hours. The roof top bar was very unique and the water-beds were worth a try. The night time view of LA was amazing from the bar. Unfortunately, some of the heaters were not functioning hence it was a bit cold. Kudos to the DJ, we enjoyed the music that night. The atmosphere got lively after midnight.

The only problem we had was the bed. It was terribly uncomfortable. The bedhead was too high to rest the pillows on but too low lean my head against. The mattress was too soft and sunk under my weight. I had a very bad sore neck after sleeping on it. It was just poorly designed.

Overall, very interesting hotel.... definitely worth at least a night stay for the restaurant and the night out on the roof bar. Will come again for some partying.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

A gave it 2 stars which is slightly harsh - I would have given it 2.5 if that was an option. I stayed here for business, and that was probably my first mistake.

First, the positives about the stay:
- fun, vibrant vibe (not unlike other Standards I've stayed in)
- friendly staff - they gave me a great recommendation for dinner and were very polite
- common areas of the hotel are nice
- convenient to downtown ( could be positive or negative)

Negatives:
- I was blown away when someone was using a power tool on the floor below me at around 5:00a.m. I should have made a complaint but I was too exhausted to do anything about it.
- I was in a room b/n 310-315, and I don't know if the area below those rooms is a hangout for staff or what, but it was unbelievably loud until midnight or so. And, I'm pretty tolerant of noise - I live in San Francisco now and lived in NYC for 6 years - both towns that aren't short on hustle and bustle. The whole noise thing during my stay was comically bad...
- rooms are definitely in need of some updating. Bathroom was great, the room felt like a loft that was converted 10 years ago and not much change since.
- the bed was very uncomfortable. Not much else to say - it was uneven and and my head was lower than the rest of my body. That sucked...
- I asked for toothpaste (ran out), and it never came. It's great that they offer that sort of convenience, but I need someone to get it up to the room.

Overall, not up to expectations. It's hard for me to overlook the really bad sleeping conditions when I was there for business. Definitely do not recommend for that type of travel.

Room Tip: I would thinker higher floors might equal less noise. Low rooms over the parking lot/valet area is...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I found this hotel to be in a condition where it needs a good refurbishment. Bedroom was big. Bed/matress was located on a platform which would make it difficult for elderly to get in and out of. Shower was huge and very good. Roof top garden with bar was excellent.
Breakfast was ordinary and one morning we were force to eat outside on the couches outside the restaurant and balance our breakfast as they were filming in the restaurant. No notification to guests. I thought very, very ordinary treatment. Would not recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Had a great time at this hotel. Fantastic staff! We were unaware we had to pay when we checked in, and the receptionist was extremely helpful and patient with us hungover, tired and broke Australians.

Clean, friendly attentive staff, great location, rooftop bar/pool was great (in case you didn't know, in Get Him To The Greek it's the pool Russell Brand breaks his arm)

We were there for the 4th of July celebrations after we finished our Contiki trip and had an amazing time.
I was even broke one of the days and didn't leave the hotel - still had a blast. Definitely for the younger crowd.

Room Tip: Make sure you take note of the bathroom. In our room, if I was laying in bed, I could see my friend...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Standard Downtown LA? Share your experiences!