“Funky hotel !” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #96 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
New York City, New York
“Funky hotel !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

If you are looking for a trendy and unique hotel, you should stay here. The staff is very friendly. Great service !

• Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Korean first
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

We stayed here late May 2011 for one night while visiting LA. On paper this sounded like a fab hotel but they just get it wrong. We love boutique hotels and as me and my husband both come from Scandinavia (home of amazing furniture design and cool minimalism) and work in a creative field I do feel at ease passing judgement on this.
At first the plusses: The actual original building is cool, and the rooftop bar has stunning views. And they had a really comfortable bed in my opinion, though too soft for my husband.
The minuses: $30/day valet parking is ridiculous.
The room is trying to be quirky and minimalistic... unfortunately it ends up looking a cheap, not so very well designed and just a bit too try-hard. If you're doing minimalistic, you need to do it right and the furniture and fittings need to be of certain caliber. The lamps over the bed looked like they had come from Home depot. The room just ends up looking more a like a hostel. The stripey mural that was repeating the stripes from the curtains looked like an art school dropout had decided to try and be 'fun' and 'unexpected'.
The shower is in full view behind a glass wall. Odd choice.... cool on paper, not so cool when you use it.
Awful smelling shampoos, conditioners etc. And a weird smell in the room.
I found long black hairs in the white, tiled bathroom. Disgusting.
At the rooftop bar we tried to order caipirinhas (surely it should be a basic in any decent bar?)... they could not do it and instead we got the worst mojitos of our lives. Seriously BAD. I get it if it isn't the drink of the moment but these are pretty much classic drinks that any cocktail waiter should be able to produce.
We didn't get a bad attitude from the front desk as some other reviewers have described, but the staff we're not knowledgeable.
Don't waste your money, I certainly won't be trying this place again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
JanHenningsen, General Manager at The Standard Downtown LA, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
There is so much that goes into each and every detail of Hotel, and a lot of small suprises everywhere in the Hotel. We actually have a Book of Wonder at the front desk that walks the architectural and design professionals and students though all the neat stuff here! We really like our desgin, but do understand it's not for everyone.

I'm happy you found the beds comfy. The mattresses are like clouds and they are brand new too boot! Unfortunetly it is expensive to park in Downtown, and believe it or not, we are the least expensive Hotel for valet! Our amenities are Kiss My Face products which are all natural and organic, sorry you didn't like the smell.

The rooftop bartenders are some of the best in LA and certainly serve up a variety of libations 365 days a year, so I'll find out what's going on with the caipirinhas and mojitos. Gosh, one of those sounds great right about now!

Thanks for the feedback!
South Pasadena, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights during daughter's wedding weekend at local venue (Marvimon). Horrible service. Parking fees will blow your mind. Don't even think about having a guest drop by for a visit....$30 bucks a night plus $15.00 for guest vehicle to stop for 5 minutes. Visit started out with me and bride unloading very long wedding dress from car. No bellman/cart available. So we carried it into lobby and front desk clerks just looked at us and said "name please". No offer to get monster dress... or help. We finally just hooked it onto 1 of 2 carts hotel has being used for another guest while we checked in. Someone walked by and stepped on it (luckily wrapped in plastic). No one flinched but the bride who I had to hold down. Prior to our stay I called and asked if I could have sandwich trays sent to 2 rooms while wedding party dressed and they said I should have called 5 days prior to arrange for catering department to arrange such an item. I said it's for 10 people...not a big order. They said just call room service and order individually for each person. I was just asking for a tray of sandwiches and maybe a tray of fruit? Not possible! Overall, rooms are unique and quirky but service for a hotel charging $350+ per night...NOT WORTH IT at all! $700 for 2 standard size bottles of Grey Goose and Jack Daniels? Seriously? 2 bottles plus a couple mixers plus $85 "Service Fee" for bringing it to my room? Horrible hotel. Horrible service...read my other review about wedding dress. Do Not Stay Here. You will be disappointed! Several random charges for visitors who knew my room number and charged $30 valet fee onto my room. No phone call from valet to verify? Spoke to Yon Henningsen's office (hotel manager). They don't care. Too bad. They think $250 per bottle is the 'standard' rate for bottles of alcohol. Standard rate for who? The SubStandard Hotel? Catering dept wanted 5 days advanced notice to bring a tray of sandwiches to my room. Maria in catering said it would be better to just order a bunch of room service. Putting sandwiches on a tray would constitute a $100 per tray fee?

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

Cool & Trendy Hotel. Decent size room(large room),comfy bed.
Staff were helpful and nice. Rooftop area was really cool.
A great hotel with that something different. Location was good,in the bussiness area,a block away from the metro.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

If you want to stay someplace that speaks "Los Angeles" the Standard Down is the place to be. In our week stay we saw many of Hollywood stars partake of a lazy lunch or dinner at the hotel. The top floor is a must-see place that turns into a great outdoor bar and dance salon during the weekend nights. A warning regarding the shower situation: if you are sharing your room with a colleague be aware that the shower has glass walls and the show can be seen from the bed. Two bed suites have a shower curtain inside the glass for privacy.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

I stayed with a few friends for another pal's wedding. It'd been a while since we'd seen each other so our LA buddy recommended the Standard a great place to have drinks, people watch, and then retire to our rooms.

So firstly, I must say the scene was very touristy (even though we were tourists) we didn't want to feel like we were just as out of place as everyone else. I think the good company really made a difference. If this place opened in SF I think I'd go all the time, because I had a feeling if it had the right crowd it'd be a really great place.

That being said, the service and bartenders were very good and we still managed to meet some new and interesting people. All in all, I can say it was a good night.

We retired to my room, a suite, the other guys shared a double. I really liked the design and layout, I think though this room was designed for partying and not sleeping. We had a few more drinks and then they were off to their rooms.

As I got ready to sleep though all I hear was the deep bass of house music. Very faint, but it was just enough for me not to get sound sleep. The bed itself is really cool looking, but not very comfortable. When I woke up, I was sore and just cranky.

So in summary, I would still recommend this place, but you gotta know what you're getting yourself into. Want good rest, not the place for you. Looking for a fun place where you have drinks and just stumble back to the room? This is the place for you.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

Stay at the Standard if you're looking for an LA Scene type place. The hotel feels pretentious from the get go. $30/day valet parking, beautiful lounge area no one actual uses, beautiful pool area that you better have a smoking body to compare with.
The only time we felt comfortable in the hotel was in our room, which was beautiful. the huge tub is amazing!
We heard alot about the poolside parties but it wasn't our kind of thing, so we gave it a miss. the problem is, if you want a drink by the pool after 7, you have to get fully dressed up and look the part.
breakfast not included and a simple breakfast for 2 at the restaurant came to about $40 before tips.
The location is also not great if you are exploring LA. For the price, find somewhere a little closer to Earth.
All in all, it looks really nice, but it wasn't our type of "scene". We would have preferred a place with a genuine and relaxed vibe.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Standard Downtown LA? Share your experiences!