“Good location for downtown but needs refurbishing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ritz Milner Hotel

You added Ritz Milner Hotel to your Saves list
Ritz Milner Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   813 South Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #187 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
London, United Kingdom
“Good location for downtown but needs refurbishing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

It's a good location if you have business or are visiting downtown LA. The breakfast was good and more than I expected. The staff were attentive and helpful. As other reviewers have highlighted, the hotel is quite rundown although this is, to a certain extent, reflected in the price.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Solihull, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

The first thing I noticed about the hotel is that it does need a revamp. It is a little rundown and the decor is a bit dated.
On the first night, I had a fairly easy check-in & the guy in reception seemed friendly. Then the problems began:
1) I got bitten by bedbugs and found a few in my mattress. I called up reception where they told me they would arrange a new room for me but when they didn't call back after half an hour, the guy in reception tried to blame me for putting down the phone on him. When I finally got another room, I had problems using the charging my phone when the main light was switched off. Also, reception refused to get me ointment for my bedbug bites. I had to speak to management the following morning about it & he was also reluctant to get me ointment (although I did get an apology for the trouble I had and some money back for the inconvenience and was given another room)
2) The wifi connection is rubbish. If I wanted to use the wifi, I had to go to reception to get any signal
3) Breakfast is not great and the seats in the breakfast room was falling apart
4) I got locked in the reception toilet which was dirty & flooding
5) I presume the tours they recommend are ones which they get the best commission on as they weren't too interested what sort of tour I wanted and what I wanted to see and do. Instead, they were all too quick to get me to book a tour I didn't want

Overall, a disappointing hotel

• Stayed November 2013
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for fancy, this isn't the hotel for you. If you are looking for brand new and spacious, this isn't the hotel for you. If you stress looking for well cared for and comfortable then this could be the hotel for you. It is an old building but it has been well cared for and maintained, meaning that it's age gives it character. The rooms are small but with plenty of space to maneuver, you aren't turning sideways to get past the bed or anything. It's in a decent downtown location, easy walk to LA live, bars, and restaurants. The included breakfast is really good, a lot of options.
But the real reason they are getting 5 stars is their front desk staff. Eric and Anthony were incredibly helpful. They went into detail about bars, restaurants, and things to do. They were engaging and nice. Every time Anthony saw me in the lobby he asked how things were going and checked to see if I needed additional assistance.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Nebraska City, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed at the Ritz Milner for 5 days while in LA for a convention.
The staff is bar none the best I have ever had to deal with.
They go above and beyond and you can tell are more than happy to do it. They give you maps, call for car rentals, provide directions and information about the city, answer questions and always have a smile on their face and ask if there is anything else at all that you need.

The hotel is older and shows some wear but it is cleaner than a few 4 & 5 star hotels I have stayed at. The rooms are big and homey, the beds are soft, the pillows are soft, the bedding is CLEAN (which is Huge for me) and the bathroom is spotless. The rating for this hotel doesn't do it justice at all. When in LA I will most definitely be staying there again!!

I stay in a hotel every weekend from March til the end of July with my daughters traveling softball team and I have never felt more at home or been treated as well as we did here.

Thank Ritz Milner for a Fantastic 5 Days!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I booked this hotel based on price as I only needed one night's stay so I could be close to the starting line of the Rock n Roll half marathon in October 2013. I was very happy with the location. It is an old hotel and the rooms are small, but it was clean, the staff were friendly and it did the trick for me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
SF Bay Area, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

The Ritz Milner is a fine, unexciting city hotel. I stayed in a King-bedded room, which also had a full-sized sofa bed--all told, the room was the size of a typical suburban Hilton Garden Inn or Holiday Inn Express room. The room was clean, if a bit worn, but the bathroom was clean (provided toiletries: bar soap and "conditioning" shampoo. Towels clean, but basic) and the tube TV had a good selection of channels, including many Spanish-language ones. The location is excellent--an easy walk to nearby restaurants and bars, and about a block to the 7th & Metrocenter subway stop. Also, they provide free passes to the nearby LA Fitness (about 1 block away). In-room wifi on the 5th floor worked fine, but the front desk told my friend, who had a room on the 12th floor, that the signal was not as good on the upper floors. My friend's 12th-floor room had a view of the top of a nearby parking structure. My 5th floor room had windows onto a light well. It looked like rooms on the 7th floor and higher would tend to have more open views.

The hotel offers a basic continental breakfast, with coffee, two types of dry cereal, instant oatmeal, little cans of apple or orange juice, and bland Sysco muffins and pastries. One day, there was also a selection of fruit (bananas, apples, etc.). The breakfast room is dark and sort of depressing, which feeling is enhanced by the three non-working drink dispensers that are covered in plastic. Personally, I think in a major city like LA, it should be a simple thing to provide some decent pastries, but clearly the hotel has a different take.

This is a basic city hotel, not a boutique hotel.

I didn't notice "filthy" conditions as described in another review--the hotel seemed pretty clean to me, and the staff friendly enough. The hotel is a bit worn and could use a redo, but it's convenient to Downtown LA restaurants and nightlife (and offices) and the subway. Also, it's cheap. A good basic base of operations if you're not expecting the hotel to provide much beyond a place to sleep and a basic bite to eat in the morning.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

This place is just filthy and out-dated. Don't let the lobby fool you. Just go past it and climb the stairs one level. You'll see how fake it is. I wouldn't sleep here again if I was paid to. TV was from the 80s and kept breaking. We found a cockroach in the first room we got and then they moved us to the room next door. The latch on the room door was broken. Not safe or secure. I would leave any and all valuables in the car. Bathroom is tiny. I wish I had a surgical mask so I could breathe without inhaling asbestos.

Room Tip: Best tip would be not to stay here.