“Value for money but sketchy neighborhood” 3 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Los Angeles - Hollywood
1738 North Whitley Avenue, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA 90028 (Central L.A)   |
Ranked #140 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Port Macquarie, Australia
“Value for money but sketchy neighborhood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We had previously read reviews about the customer service and arrived prepared, but we were pleasantly surprised - all staff we encountered seemed nice enough! They allocated us an upper floor refurbed room as requested which was very decent for the price. The bar fridge came in handy, as did the small dining booth. Beds comfy.

Our biggest gripe was with the neighborhood - I would not want to stay here with kids, as a couple I did not feel safe walking down the street to get to Hollywood Boulevard, and had trouble sleeping with people running up and down the halls and sirens going all night (seemed like every 5 minutes).

Reception can book a decent priced airport transfer if you need - the second man we spoke to though suggested we do it online which was slightly cheaper.

If we ever go back to LA we would consider staying in Beverly Hills instead - not far away and felt much safer.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

The Motel 6 chain is a budget hotel but with the prices of hotels in the Hollywood area in a safe area for the price stay here.Its only a few mins SAFE walk to the" walk of fame" and almost any tourist attraction can be organised at the front desk and picked up from the hotel, we did universal movie world which we organised with a very helpful lady (sorry forgot her name) right in the hotel. The front desk is staffed 24/7. The rooms are clean and have new bathrooms and most remodeled. The rooms are not to sound proof as u can hear people walking down the timber-carpet covered hallway but other than that a good night sleep was had. We walked day and night to surrounding restaurants and pubs and felt safe enough people and police out and about at all times. WIFI in the room which is better than Vegas!

Room Tip: organize a car through the hotel for airport transfers they can save u on a metered taxi
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Stayed here for one night a few weeks ago, and was very impressed with the cleanliness, location and price. Granted, as other reviewers have stated, reception staff could crack a smile, and show a more welcoming expression on arrival, but hey, can't complain. The Motel is a 2 minute work from Hollywood Boulevard, what better location could you ask for? A little further, probably 5 minutes in total, is a nice little watering hole called The Pig and Whistle. The room, although basic, was very clean and spacious, and even came equipped with a fridge, which we didn't expect. Nothing like that in budget accommodation of that ilk over here in the UK. The bathroom was clean and tidy, so no complaints from us on any front. Would definitely stay here again, without a doubt, as it suited us for where we wanted to be in L.A and what we wanted to see.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

If you ignore the office attedants and the weird locals outside, you'll have a pleasant experience. We picked this motel because it was pet friendly with no huge fee and walking distance from Hollywood Blvd. The parking fee amount (though others disagree) is comparable to parking downtown, and honestly anyone who's ever stayed in a big city knows you usually pay to park at hotels. If you don't like it or it's full, there's a public parking just down the road.

Room was very clean and nice and bright. Although we were on the first floor, we were next to an alley so it was quiet. I'm a light sleeper so the angry stomping child in the room above me woke me up a few times, but my husband slept through it.

They offer free coffee and have vending machines, but no breakfast.

My only one issue was with the front desk attendants. Every time I went to ask a question, get parking pass, etc, it seemed that there were a handful of people waiting for the clerk to get back from his smoke break and a local lady (drunk floozy) would hang around too. She would even interrupt and hang over the counter trying to get attention. It gave this mentality that the customer comes second, only when they feel like dealing with you. I was content with the room but the customer service killed this for me.ย

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This was -- without a doubt-- the most awful hotel I've ever stayed at.

First off, the service was a nightmare. The man at the front desk didn't even crack a smile as he checked us in. He simply demanded to see our IDs and read us a canned script about Motel 6's anti-smoking policy. I asked him a few questions about the neighborhood and he didn't even make eye contact with me as he told us that there were brochures we could read if we were interested. He treated us with suspicion, which seemed strange, until I realized....

The clientele was even worse. The room next to us had a raging frat party going until the wee hours and front desk was utterly unhelpful. From the moment we arrived, they had been making some noise, but things quieted down until around 2am...and then it just got louder and louder. I swear, they had subwoofers in there! At least 10 people were in the room partying. I tried calling the front desk multiple times but they ignored my calls. I stuck earplugs in my ears but it was no use -- I could still hear everything. Finally my partner walked down and told them what was going on. They called the room and said to stop or they would kick them out. But that didn't help. They quieted down for about 10 minutes and then resumed with the music and the yelling and the pounding on the walls..

At no point did the front desk offer to switch our rooms or refund us. They didn't even extend our check-out time. I didn't get to sleep until around 6am, which gave me about 3 hours of sleep before I had to get dressed and get ready for check out. The rest of my day was ruined. I was supposed to attend a writing conference but could barely keep my eyes open. Nodded off the entire day.

We've called Motel 6 twice about a refund but they don't seem to care about us at all so I thought I'd write about my experience here. When I think about this hotel, I still get so angry.

A bunch of other things sucked, too: the floors were sticky, the beds were too hard, our "view" was someone else's apartment about 20 feet away. But those are all things you'd expect from a Motel 6. The horrible customer service, for me, was unexpected.

Honestly, we would have been better off sleeping in our car. Under a freeway.

Room Tip: Stay away. Far, far away.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

My stay at this motel was not the most comfortable in terms of the staff and situations regarding parking. The facilities were fine, however. I know it may just be a "motel" but it's worthy of a review regardless of status. I'll start with the negatives:

With attention to the staff and parking, I have never had such an awful experience as compared to this past week's. First, for a motel to charge $12 per day for parking (and limited parking spaces at that) I found this to be a bit invasive and rude, just a way for extra cash to the motel that was selling out each night and didn't necessarily need this.

I would return from work each day around 5:15 to park my car in the garage and was met by their valet/security staff on the parking level. Instead of a warm, "hello, how are you?" or "hope you had a nice day" it was a smirk and nasty-toned, "where is your parking permit for the day? You have 10 minutes to go upstairs, buy a new one, and bring it back to your car or you'll be towed." This was by far extremely rude and over the line. Never a "hello" or anything. I am an honest individual and would easily go park my car and then get a pass if needed, I didn't need to be micro-managed or dictated this information. Needless to say I did not even feel that safe with this staff being responsible for my or other guest's cars during the night.

On the last day I was threatened by the parking staff that said "you've got to learn to get your permit before you come down here, there are no spaces for you." This phrase was where it really pushed me to even write this review because that was the icing on the cake in terms of lack of customer service. Any motel/hotel establishment of ANY status can be a wonderful or terrible place to stay, based on the service and unfortunately this Motel 6 was a terrible place to stay because of that lack of service and attitude. I do not know what kind of customer training the staff here go through upon acceptance of a job, but it certainly does not seem like much and their management must not enforce it with the lack that exists. I was offended by what the parking staff said to me and it did upset me because showing that sense of power over a guest just is not necessary.

When I would mention/complain to the Front Desk about the parking staff, the response was "well the one that is downstairs right now is the nice one." This statement could not be more troubling...first that is too honest of a staff member to tell a guest, second it is a symbol that there is staffing trouble and lack of training. Nothing was done by the front desk to assist me (other than process my $12 daily payment for parking) when the Front Desk should have tried to mediate the situation to my knowledge. A suggestion I have for this motel for the parking is that guests can pay for the full duration of their stay when they first check-in, or wait to pay in-full upon check-out and be guaranteed a space.

On my last night at the motel when I returned, I was told by the parking staff as well that there were no spaces to park downstairs. I was livid as you can probably imagine, being a paying guest. The front desk staff was not helpful either and said I would have to park down the street. A simple gesture was given as to where to park, although a map or exact address would have been helpful. I did not feel safe leaving my car where I had to for the last night, and I felt undermined as a guest of the motel having to leave my car elsewhere that is not a part of their system. I should have had priority as I had paid for a four night stay.

The only other complaint I have of this motel was that their WiFi was incredibly slow and did not deliver emails, etc. Considering that this is the only other complaint, that is pretty good.

On a positive note: My room was cleaned well daily and I appreciated this, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was spotless as well. Unfortunately these are the only positives I can contribute about the Motel 6 on Whitley.

My intention in writing this post is to merely express my dissatisfaction with the parking and staffing system and process thereof. I did not leave my stay happy because of this and it felt awful to look forward to posting this review because of that. I do not post often and rarely find a need to, but prospective guests need to be aware of this. It is my understanding that nothing can probably be done and it is not my business to know if action is to be taken place, but ideally the only thing I can ask for is that their staff receive better training in customer service and that "the customer is always right" because it is EVIDENT and CLEAR that this does not exist here.

Thank you for reading my review.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed at this property over New Years Eve weekend so this post is rather late but...not nearly enough parking spots available for this hotel. You have to race down each morning to get a new pass for the day before they run out and you're left to figure out where to park which can be very expensive in LA. The manager, Mike, is a total creep. I made my reservation on Booking.com and my nightly rate was less than $100, which was a great deal for new years eve and Mike tried to tell me that my rate was too late and that he was going to change it. Ridiculous! I told him that I wasn't paying another dime to stay in that place and ater I let him know about the roach that was in my room ( loud enough so that every other guest in the lobby could hear) he didn't give me any more trouble about my room rate :) Another woman that works at the desk was very inattentive any time I came to ask for anything and was even on the phone with her bank handling personal business on company time. Pathetic! Didn't get her name but her hair was a brownish color with gold highlights and she wore it in a ponytail. Don't stay on the 1st floor if you can help it! Or you will hear noise throughout the night from the hallway and front desk area because the walls are so thin. Lastly, housekeeping is extremely lazy so when you ask to have your room cleaned. be sure to remeber the face or get a ame of whoever you spoke to. I requested service by putting my sign on the door before leaving for the day. I came back that evening to find that they switched the sign and did not even service my room. Overall, the only advantage to staying here is the location as it is right in the center of Hollywood and near most attractions. Rooms were clean and neat when we checked in but the next time I'm in LA, I'll just spend the few extra bucks to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Motel 6 Los Angeles - Hollywood? Share your experiences!