“TERRIBLE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Dixie Hollywood

You added The Dixie Hollywood to your Saves list
The Dixie Hollywood
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5410 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA 90027 (Formerly Days Inn Hollywood) (Hollywood)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #158 of 339 Hotels in Los Angeles
“TERRIBLE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

It was bad, the Internet was sooooo slow I had to leave the room on several occasions just to send a message and forget about logging onto fb because it nothing would load. In the bathroom the tissue paper didn't have a roll it was set on the ground, the ceiling had water damage, and omg let's not forget the huge COCHROACH that came from underneath the bed, if I wasn't freaking out trying to get it out of the room I woulda taking a pic of it, when I let front desk know all they said was sorry.. I came all the way from the bay area and never AGAIN!!!!! Folks your better off going to a motel 6!!! Trust me...

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Winchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Typical motel (ex Days Inn) on the edge of Hollywood. Ideal for Metro - Hollywood Western stop. Bus routes pass the property. No food available but on site diner for breakfast or later meal (very good).
Staff were very helpful and the rooms clean. However first room had no hanging space or draws for clothing. Then had to move again due to servicing needs.
Not the best place to stay but reasonable for families
Off street parking.
Be sure you explain your needs when booking. Half of rooms are up one flight of stairs. No lift. Staff will help if needed.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back to avoid noise - this is Hollywood. Unless you wish to live out of your suit...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We chose the hotel because of the location and reviews on tripadvisor, but it turned out that the walk of fame starts 20 min away with not-known-names and we kept walking about an hour.. By car good location! Poor internet and very noisy rooms, but clean and nice staff.. But we would pay a little more next time for better location and privacy/Internet next time..

• Stayed September 2012
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed at the Dixie Hotel (it's a motel but a nice one) for a few nights in August 2012. It was clean, tidy, the rooms had plenty of room.

I would not recommend their restaurant which is attached to the hotel. The food was terrible and over priced.

We got a great price on this hotel. I wouldn't have paid their full rate price, I would stay somewhere closed to West Hollywood for their full rate price.

Positive: Clean large rooms. Free car parking. Easy to find in LA. Very quiet, we stayed in upstairs rooms. Pool was nice, clean and plenty of sun beds available. Close to public transport to everywhere. Nice Thai restaurants close by.

Cons: No room safe. Water pressure was hit and miss, sometimes it was great, other times no pressure at all. Bathrooms are dated. The area is a little dodgy at night, I certainly wouldn't walk around alone or with a few females.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed 7 nights at the Dixie and are so glad to be out of there!!!

Advertised as a boutique hotel, and paying upwards of $140 per night we were not expecting the ritz but we were certainly expecting more than a banger motel!
Check in was relatively easy, although when inquiring about the car rental their website says they offer, we were instructed to come back in the morning....no follow up, no information, so we just went elsewhere for a car.
The room was spacious enough I guess, old rooms with a quick luck of paint and flat screen tv, but underneath just a tired motel room, there is a small bar fridge and microwave in the room, the ac's knobs were broken so if you turned it off it was unlikely you could get it going again, without it it was hot and stuffy but with seemingly only one setting, at times it got quite cold!
The wifi here is all but non-existent, super slow if it worked at all.....your best bet is to sit by the door with your phone outside.....even then loading a page was arduous.
The pool area is quaint and looks great all lit up at night time, however after swimming there once I developed a rash, kind of like chlorine burn?
The staff were less than helpfull, three times my husband and I were walked in on without even KNOCKING and all three times when the do not disturb sign was displayed!!! Twice by house keeping and once by maintenance claiming to be coming to fix curtains that had fallen down.....curtains that were drawn and clearly intact?
Twice we had to go to reception and get new keys programmed as the system had timed us out, the original booking was for 7 nights so it's not like we confused things by extending our stay or anything, both times it was late at night too, when you just want to get inside and go to bed, not mess around getting new keys!
The hotel is on Hollywood blvd, but the other side of the freeway, so at least a 30-45 min walk from all the attractions, there is a subway next door that takes you in but we never used it, we don't mind walking.
The only saving grace is the AMAZING restaurant, I'm not sure if it is part of the Dixie or just on the same property, but easily the best food we ate in all of LA!!!

• Stayed August 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

Expecting to be checking into a hotel, I was surprised to find that the Dixie was, in fact, a motel but slightly more upscale than the usual.

I would definitely recommend trying to get an upstairs room. We were here for three nights and spent hours lying awake in bed while the elephants upstairs bashed their way around the room into the early hours of the morning. The constant strain of the air-conditioner didn't help either.

The location really is excellent (I was slightly apprehensive but went down the street for dinner one night and I didn't feel unsafe at all), it was always well cleaned and free parking is great but our bathroom was falling apart. Also, the pool is right next to Hollywood Blvd... Needless to say we did not go swimming! My booking information also said breakfast was included - I understand that the restaurant that served breakfast has closed and a new one which is unaffiliated has opened in it's place.

I think for the price it was well worth it but if you're looking for a proper hotel, this is not for you!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
sydney australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is a great motel for a great price. Where i think they go wrong is by calling it a hotel. It is not, so if you arrive expecting concierge services, luggage assistance etc you will be disappointed. Where they excel is being a fantastic motel; so please arrive with expectations with the price you pay.

A somewhat disappointing experience was arriving at 9:30am (well before checkin time I know) and walking into the front office to see the general manager having a personal conversation with a friend and having to ask for assistance with checking in. Whilst this was then provided very quickly and my bags stored, i did however feel a bit of an annoyance as he was clearly mid conversation. Neither the less I stored my bags and was told they would try and have my room by midday (before checkin). When I returned at around 1pm the room was ready and I was offered either a first floor or ground floor room. No luggage assistance was offered ( but this is a motel remember, so was perfectly acceptable to me.)

The room was a perfectly acceptable motel room. Clean and comfortable ( but window looked onto corridor as per motel room). The toilet seat was broken and tv not operative when I entered but within 15 (without calling) an engineer was there to fix it.

The location was perfectly suitable and whilst an easy walk I chose to take the subway to take time to get into the thick of Hollywood and was very easy to use. As far as noise complaints go, I never heard a peep. One night I had my tv turned on and was called fro front desk saying a neighbor had called and the tv was disturbing their sleep. I need to thank front office for being so forthright with me. I never wanted to disturb anyone and turned it down immediately. That shows to me that if there is ever a noise issue that front desk will deal with it straight away.

One other thing I must mention that absolutely blew me away for this level of hotel/motel was the housekeeping staff and the general manager of the hotel each went round all the rooms before going home to ask how they were enjoying their stay and if they needed anymore towels/ soaps etc. This simple little touch truly made me feel at home and that the staff cared. After 4 nights of check ups from the general manager before he left I felt like he truly cared about his guests (checkin experience more than forgiven). Not even at a Four Seasons has the general manager of the property accompanied housekeeping staff during their final duties before leaving for home. What a difference that made to this reviewer! Well done!

Was this a great hotel? No. Was this a fantastic motel? YES

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Dixie Hollywood? Share your experiences!