“Worth the trip! New Experience Rewarded Me With Excellent Taste” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bao Dim Sum House

Bao Dim Sum House
8256 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (LAX Area)
(323) 655.6556
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bao Dim Sum House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #256 of 8,660 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: LAX Area
Cross street: Sweetzer
Los Angeles
“Worth the trip! New Experience Rewarded Me With Excellent Taste”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

While visiting L.A. I enjoyed my first experience with a Dim Sum meal, a style of Chinese food prepared as small bite-sized or individual portions of food traditionally served in small steamer baskets or on small plates. We ordered 5 separate items from the menu each containing 3 -4 pieces of each item and it was more than enough food for the two of us. We left feeling very full and satisfied. The vegetable Spring Rolls were crispy and flaky and stuffed with ingredients unlike some restaurant spring rolls that are mostly crust. The Steamed BBQ Pork Buns were a light, spongy pork filled bun. My only complaint about these if I must find a negative point is that the filling wasn't over the top and I would have preferred a bit more meat to bun ratio. The Dim Sum Chicken Potsticker was a solid piece of food giving significant substance to the meal. The Dim Sum, Wu Kok (Fried Taro) was by far my favorite. Light, airy, crispy, flaky with a crust and filling that was sweet. Reasonably priced for the Beverly Hills neighborhood that it is in and compared to other restaurants of its type in the area.

The restaurant offers valet parking out in front however, we went around 2PM and there was ample parking on the street at meters (which do take credit cards) The waitress was prompt and efficient keeping our glasses filled at all times. I am looking forward to returning soon.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
“Em-iserable experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2005

The decor is nice and the live jazz is a nice touch, but the food only compared well to the service. The seasonal appetizer was virtually inedible. The sesame-encrusted tuna, while cooked to order, was sliced like thick french toast and so immersed in soy sauce that it couldn't be tasted. The shrimp cocktail came with four medium shrimp which were overcooked. In fairness, my father enjoyed the meatloaf.

As disappointing as the food was, the service was as bad as we've had in LA. The guy wearing the waiter's uniform must be a pretty bad actor if he couldn't pull off this role. He didn't inform us of the specials -- when we heard him presenting them to another table and inquired, he didn't apologize and then told us that the kitchen was out of one of them anyway. Our drinks sat on the bar for five minutes before being brought to us. Our water glasses sat unfilled and when I asked for some, the waiter filled my glass but walked away without filling my wife's. The waiter did not check on us once during dinner to see how things were or if we needed anything else.

There are a lot of great restaurants in LA. This ain't one of them.

Los Angeles
“A Great Place for A Relaxed and Enjoyable Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2004

My wife and I live about a mile from EM, and have been there at least four times. We keep coming back for the combination of good food, excellent atmosphere and great service. The dining room is quiet and serene, an oasis in the middle of the chaos of the city. You are not sausaged in (with tables inches apart) as is unfortunately becoming more common in "hot" eateries. The service has always been exemplary, the food is quite good and, for a "nice" restaurant of this class, reasonably priced. The menu is adventurous and interesting but not cutting edge weird. With this combination, we'll keep coming back.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved EM Bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2004

The enviorment was great; upscale but relaxed. The food was delicious. You have to try the potato chips. But the best part of the meal was the dessert! The strawberry shortcake was the best I've ever had and the Expresso brownie was perfect!