“Not Nice...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Hollywood

You added Super 8 Hollywood to your Saves list
Super 8 Hollywood
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1536 North Western Avenue, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA 90027   |
Ranked #215 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
Stirling, Scotland
“Not Nice...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2006

I stayed at the super 8 with my boyfriend as we were doing a road trip up the west coast, we are very much budget travelers and the motel 8 sounded like a great location. That could not have been further from the truth. For the 15 minutes I sat in the car waiting for him to check in I saw 2 hookers and lots and lots of homeless people. It is definitley not a nice area to be in, I being a female would have been scared to walk around even in the daytime if my boyfriend had not been there, and wouldn't even think about venturing out at night. The room itself was ok, big bed, tv with lots of channels. The front desk staff were fairly friendly but were not very informed about things such as the "high speed internet in every room." As computer literate people we went downstairs to see about a password, no password and no help offered either only the computer downstairs which charged $10 for 10 minutes and the in the lobby which smells like indian food. You get what you pay for as far as budget hotels, however, we paid $65, not a lot of money, and were ripped off.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2005

This was the most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed at. We had a reservation for two rooms. They put us into the two rooms but instead of them being with two beds, it was a super small one bed room. Then the other room was completely filthy, so we had to wait 3 hours before even getting into the room. Then after they 'cleaned' the room, the room was supposed to be non smoking but it REAKED like smoke, and there were many 'mysterious' stains/smears on the wall. Frankly I was frightened to sleep in the bed. In the morning, we recieved a wake up call from a prostitute soliciting her services because she saw what room we were in due to the fact that she was leaving as we walking up to our 'room'. THEN on top of all of that, the manager wrongly over charged us and would NOT give us our money back. The worst hotel I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed September 2003, traveled on business
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2005

I wouldn't stay here again. It's in a really crappy part of town with not a lot around it. It's accessible to Hollywood, though. There's a Carls Jr. across the street and a drug store nearby but you'll probably be asked for change a few times getting there.

The lobby smells really funny like 3 people were cooking 3 different meals. The elevator is really old and a piece of crap that takes 2 or 3 minutes to get from the 4th floor to the lobby.

The maintenance guy is creepy. Looks like a creepier Neil Young.

The room I stayed in was about a 2/10. It was fairly big but had an old TV, funny smells, bad fluorescent lighting, weird funky holes in the ceiling, stains on the walls, and various unknown stains splattered all over the bathroom wall - don't ask.

The girl the front desk is nice - but they generally don't know much and can't guide you on anything. The breakfast is terrible - stale gross donuts and bad coffee/juice.

Mostly looks like families and out of towners stay there... I wouldn't go back. I wouldnt recommend unless you just want a cheap place to stay that's not full of hookers.

• Stayed March 2005
Columbus,Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2005

My teenage daughter and I stayed here for three nights. The room was clean, comfortable and more than adequate. The parking lot could use more space as our rental car was an unasked-for SUV; I was told they would park it in a gated space behind the motel if there was no room in the lot. This was not necessary, but I appeciated their effort. We received a copy of the LA Times each morning by our door which was also appreciated. The neighborhood has a Walgreen's and a McDonald's, plus a grocery nearby. It is almost on the corner of Sunset Boulevard and close to Hollywood Boulevard. The neighborhood seemed safe enough. The staff was attentive and wanted to make our stay happy. If you are looking for an inexpensive, safe and clean motel near Hollywood this would be a good place to stay. Our room looked out over the back neighborhood and it was quiet.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2005

You DO need a car if you're planning to do the Hollywood / Beverly Hills experience, but you'd better get a compact. The hotel parking lot looks like it was designed specifically for a lot full of Chevettes, Neons, or Fiestas. The hotel is about 2 miles from Hollywood and Vine - the hub of Hollywood. Do not expect coffee before 7 or danishes/doughnuts before 8. Do not expect to check in early. The elevator is scary - it has not been inspected since January 2004. The room was fine; it's standard Super 8 quality. I have no complaints or compliments. It was an uneventful stay.
Also, do NOT buy a star's homes map; go on a tour. The map you buy will be old, dead semi-stars. It will not include the likes of Julia Roberts or Tom Hanks; more like the old homes of mostly people you've never heard of.

• Stayed July 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2005

This is one of those places that looks a lot better on paper than it actually is. I spent 4 nights there - Monday 3/15/04 to Friday 3/19/04. I originally selected this place because it had a refrigarator in the room. "Great," I thought, I can save money by buying sandwiches instead of going to a resturant. Sure enough the room had a refrigarator, a 2.1 cu ft "bar" model, which preformed like a champ.
Too bad there were several other things that were less than optimal.
The motel lists cable TV as one of its perks. Unfortunately half the cable channels were out of order when I was there, downcheck.
The Queen bed was like sleeping on a steel shelf or a monk's rock bed. I mean sure some people like a firm mattress, but this was beyond firm, to the point of being more like a mideval torcher device, downcheck.
The room WAS soundproof. A good thing too because it was right next door to an active construction site, with +90 db noise from 6am to after sunset. Thank God for sound proofing. Up Check.
There are three supermarkets, including a Ralph's and a Food 4 Less within two blocks of the motel, and there is a Sav-On drugstore a half block away.
Easy to stock the refrigarator. Up check.
But the worst thing was there was NO radio reception there. There was a clock radio in the room and I had brought my own boombox. Both AM and FM bands were wiped out with a loud 60 Hz buzz. Maybe from construction site. But for someone like me who likes to listen to the radio in the wee hours this was the thing that made this four-day mini-vacation a huge waste of time for me.

• Stayed March 2004
paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2005

I stayed 6 nights there.

The staff is friendly and the rooms are clean.
The room was quite big for a motel .The mattress was good.

I wanted something cheap so that was fitting my budget just fine.

It is located in Hollywood so it quite convenient to run the underground.

However it is in a so so area of Hollywood where you have a lot of prostitutes at sunset so it dangerous to go out at sunset.

I found the breakfast disappointing as there was only a selection of pastries and a pot of coffee so as i wanted tea the day receptionnist told me to take water from the tap in my beaker and to put it in the micro wave and there was no milk either .

It is a good place to stay if you are on a budget .

Been to Super 8 Hollywood? Share your experiences!