“Great food and location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun
8370 W 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90048-4311 (LAX Area)
323-782-9033
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: LAX Area
Hartford, Connecticut
“Great food and location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Son of a Gun as some unique food from sandwiches to fish, to salad and sashimi dishes. It was taste and prepared nicely. I would have to say that they need to add a little lighting for the guests to be able to really see and appreciate the restaurant more. You should go there on an empty stomach , because the food is very filling!! Staff is polite and friendly. It can be a hard to conversation with the noise levels but the food is so good!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

86% Recommend
Los Angeles
“My New Favorite Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Went to Son Of A Gun with a friend for lunch and to catch up after not seeing each other for a while. I arrived early while it was still quiet although the noise level did increase once the restaurant filled. However, the food was spectacular. Small plates although some bigger than others. The fried chicken sandwich seemed to be very popular because I saw many of them coming out of the kitchen and we shared one of these. We each had a lobster roll, shared the blood orange, tangelo and spring onion salad. The blood oranges were so tart and juicy and all the flavors melded together so well. Who would have thought? However, the piece de resistance was dessert. The Italian Hamburger was to die for. Don't leave without trying this. We should have had one each. I haven't been back to Son Of A Gun yet but it is always on my mind.

• Visited May 2013
Los Angeles
“Everything from Comfort Seafood to Sashimi! Very Expensive!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I recently went to "Son of a Gun" for a birthday lunch and we had a great table in the front window. It was a first time for all of us so we ordered some sashimi dishes for starters which were very small portions and not particularly good with the exception of the Hamachi which was very nice. They have a Mahi Mahi spread or dip which is interesting as an appetizer. The waitress the crab roll which we all tried and liked. It is a crab salad on a brioche like bun topped with potato chips and is small but great. Then on to the Comfort Seafood as I would describe the Lobster BLT. I is a huge butter soaked bun with lobster and thick Bacon tomatoes and of course plenty of mayo. Heart attack on a bun but really delicious. They also had a fried chicken sandwich which was deep fried chicken on the butter bun but we did not partake. Strange to see that on the menu of a seafood restaurant, but why not?
We ordered the octopus which is in a salad and it was excellent. So good we ordered more.

The check arrived and with minimal drinks (no wine) it came to about $80 per person before tip, which had me thinking of where else we could have eaten for that price. All in all I am glad to have experienced the place but like to keep things on the low calorie side.

If you are a comfort food type and don't mind the pricing, this may be for you.

Don't miss the photo in the Men's room of Hugh Hefner holding up a giant fish with a bimbo at his side. Vintage and fun!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“12 months later and we are VERY excited about returning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

April 2012.....Son of a Gun became legend in our family. Wow. It's casual, it's friendly, the service is impeccable (and they know what is on your plate inside and out) and their attention to detail is fantastic; from sourcing great ingredients, to advertising their suppliers (wish restaurants in UK did that more often) to presentation on your plate and finally to the great value of the dishes.....this is a MUST visit for ANY trip to the big LA. In the words of a chef, "Take time, make nice."
It is a seafood heavy menu, in case you're expecting a meat feast.

• Visited July 2012
Los Angeles
“one of the best meals in LA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I recently returned to Son of a Gun for dinner and was even more impressed than my first visit. The restaurant has a cozy, upscale East coast seafood shack vibe. The lobster rolls are small but reasonably priced at $7 and taste fantastic. The shrimp toast sandwich is excellent and the fried chicken sandwich one of the best you'll find. With moderate prices, good service (the waiter substituted a cocktail free of charge after I chose poorly on my first selection), attractive decor and outstanding food, this place is a gem.

• Visited April 2013