“Great stay in LA!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6317 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048 (Central L.A)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Saving 20% on Suites
Ranked #49 of 324 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“Great stay in LA!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My family of 4 stayed at the Hotel Wilshire for 6 days last year in a I bedroom room.
I was initially disappointed when on arrival they had given our room away for the night.... I had rung & emailed them many times to make sure they realised we were arriving late...... Very frustrating when you have paid in FULL for 6 nights!!! So annoying to have to move 4 people again the next day!
Apart from this I loved it here! The roof top bar was a real bonus. It was great to have a relaxing cocktail after a day sightseeing and at night after dinner- great ambience and fabulous views! ( good for people watching!! Especially for my teenage daughters!!)
We did not have a great experience with breakfast here but discovered a great cafe across the road and went there most mornings instead- this may of improved since then!
LA is a huge spread out city but we found it easy to get around from here mostly in cabs but you could easily walk to fabulous dinner destinations in Melrose etc!
The rooms were very clean and modern and ours was on the side of the building and very quiet!
The hotel had only been open around a year when we stayed so was all fresh and new and I would definitely stay here again -it was great value for money !

• Stayed September 2012
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Hello, Traveler,

I see that you stayed with us last year....Since then, we have become a part of Kimpton Hotels, so I hope you can come back and visit us again to experience all the great changes! We now offer additional amenities, such as complimentary evening Wine Hour, morning Coffee Hour, fitness offerings such as a yoga mat in every room and complimentary bike rentals, plus much more! A couple of things that haven't changed are the spectacular views from our rooftop and the sleek, efficient design of our rooms. We hope you will come back and see us soon!

Ashley Gochnauer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I just recently stayed at the Wilshire for a business trip and I must say the front desk staff was by far the best service I have ever received. My boss forgot all her toiletries at home and the desk provided her with EVERYTHING.I mean not just the basics, they got her make-up remover, moisturizer,etc... and when they didnt have hairspray they actually went to the store and bought her a large can of hairspray for free! Absolute gem!

The rooms were extremely clean and comfortable, I loved the bathroom with the rainshower.
The rooftop is the BEST for just tanning and an incredible view of LA.
AND EVERYDAY they have a happy hour where they serve FREE wine and sangria from5-6pm!
Excellent!

Only downside, which was the rooftop bar manager named Eric I think, was a complete jerk! I know he isnt affiliated with the hotel and more for the restaurant but he was the most condescending person I have met in the service industry. He kept barking orders at his wait staff in such a rude way and I could not help but feel bad for anyone who works for him and felt uncomfortable that he was being a tyrant in front of customers.
Otherwise on the hotel side it was excellent!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Carlsbad, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

West Hollywood or Santa Monica. The Kimpton hotel experience is fantastic and they definitely deserve a 4+ star rating. They went out of our way to make the experience a memorable one and even comp'd us on drinks sent to the room when they found it was a special occasion. The spot also has a fantastic Rooftop restaurant with great dinner, brunch and drinks. Perfect for gazing at the surrounding Hollywood Hills, Beverly Center...etc etc....

Room Tip: Join the rewards program and the Internet is free...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Traveler,

First and foremost, congrats on your recent special occasion! And thank you so much for choosing to spend it with us. I'm so glad that the staff took good care of you and made sure it was a memorable stay. What could be better than unwinding with a drink on our rooftop while taking in the amazing view. We hope you'll come back for your next special occasion, if not before!

Hope to see you soon,

Farnham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

A miserable check in experience,had to wait until 5 pm for our room key which then failed to work! Air con not working properly. ( Had to call reception 5 x in night to get it fixed)Tiny pool and pool area jam packed with day visitors leaving us nowhere to enjoy the roof pool( only reason for visit)very unhelpful roof pool receptionist not interested in helping us. Only good thing was restaurant staff and free,much needed wine glass! Hot /cold temp control the wrong way around in the Shower.someone needs to take a long hard look at improving this place!

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Traveler,

Oh my, we do not like hearing that our guests are unhappy! Upon receiving this feedback, which we take very seriously, we looked into your comments right away. I assure you that any missteps on our part were dealt with thoroughly. I understand that perhaps you were expecting a larger pool for you and your family to enjoy. Our pool is definitely rather intimate in size, so I sincerely apologize that we fell short in this regard. Lastly, it looks like there was a bit of a mixup with your room keys getting into the right hands. Although your second room was ready by 2:30pm, it seems as though the keys were given to some other family members in the first room rather than delivered to you at the pool. I truly apologize for this mixup and hope from the bottom of my heart that you will give us another try in the future. Feel free to contact me directly if you choose to come back and we will make sure we take excellent care of you.

Warmest regards,

ashley.gochnauer@hotelwilshire.com
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I am a loyal Kimpton Inner Circle member and decided to stay at the Hotel Wilshire when it came on the 'free nights' list that the IC program has. Like most Kimptons, it is an awesome little hotel. The rooftop is amazing and the grilled cheese is the best food I've had in a long time - plus not super expensive. The staff was ok - nothing special - and definitley not what I've seen at other Kimptons. I was upgraded to a Hollywood Suite and it was great. One of my favorite things about a great hotel are extraordinary showers - any the Wilshire beats any that I have seen in a while - I know it sounds weird, but the shower was just really comfortable! The only downside (and it is a MAJOR) is that I was double-charged on my bill (by over $600). The hotel refused to refund it until I emailed and spoke with the President of Kimpton. Absurd! I thought it was a one-time mistake on my reservation, but after reading the TA reviews, it doesn't look like it! Overcharging by that much is a biggie, and it needs to be fixed before I could consider giving this hotel the four star rating it would have without the billing issues...

Room Tip: Try to get an upgrade...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Hotel Wilshire in Mid-City LA is a great new addition to the Kimpton chain. Though the exterior is pretty innocuous and the lobby quite small, the rooms are fabulous and well appointed and the roof top bar and pools very nice. The location is a bit away from the usual action in LA but easy distance by car.

Room Tip: Upper floors give a great view of LA
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ashley G, General Manager at The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Traveler,

I'm so glad that you chose the Hotel Wilshire for your recent visit to LA. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your room as well as the Roof restaurant. We are indeed quite centrally located and within walking distance or a short drive from some of LA's best attractions. I hope that we will be your #1 choice for your next trip to LA!

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel put me through a big process to have my card charged instead of my guest. However, they required that my guest swipe her card. When the bill came, my guest was charged. Hassle for me and my guest. I was embarrassed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Traveler,

I'm so sorry that this snafu put you in a tight spot. If there are still any lingering issues surrounding this, please reach out to me directly at ashley.gochnauer@hotelwilshire.com and I can look into the specifics for you. I truly apologize for any headaches that were caused and assure you this is an anamoly for us. I hope that you will give us another go in the future. If so, I urge you to let me know you're on your way and we'll make sure we roll out the red carpet for you.

Ashley Gochnauer

Been to The Hotel Wilshire, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!